cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Is the iPad Air 2 available to purchase on a 3g plan?

pb3000
5: Helper

Perhaps it's just me but I can't find 3G plans listed anywhere in the Vodafone Shop website for the iPad Air 2 - only 4G plans.

Are 3g plans for this deviice available by request only or are they not available period?

2 REPLIES 2

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

As a general rule, the price plans you will find here are the plans that are available for the iPad 2.  You're correct in saying that there are no 3G plans.  You can, however, take out a 4G plan and use it in an area where there is no 4G - the device will simply step down to the next fastest speed available which should be 3G.

PWIAC

@drey_p wrote:

Hi there

As a general rule, the price plans you will find here are the plans that are available for the iPad 2.  You're correct in saying that there are no 3G plans.  You can, however, take out a 4G plan and use it in an area where there is no 4G - the device will simply step down to the next fastest speed available which should be 3G.

Thank you for taking the the time out to reply drey_p.

Oh I'm certain that the iPad Air 2 willl fall back to a 3G or lower speed if 4G isn't availble... however my point was more along the lines that 3g plans are cheaper than equivalent 4G plans and this would be preferrable option if either 4G is unvailable/intermittent in my area - or I simply do not wish to pay extra for a  4G tariff over a 3g one.

But having just browsed the Vodafone store, I notice that Vodafone appears to have been quietly withdrawing most of its SIM only and Mobile Broadband 3G tarfiffs. There are none listed under mobile broadband and only one under SIM only.

I guess they are trying to forc...ahem..err encourage the punters into 4G in a big way.