cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

It appears that the iPad mini [from VF] is not compatible with VF's 4G network?

CapDan
3: Seeker
Can you please confirm this?
10 REPLIES 10

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

None of the current Apple range have been built to work with the 4G frequencies that were sold earlier this year.

They will work with the EE 4G that has been rolled out using the older frequencies, but now they have the new faster and futher range to play with, people are not sure if they will roll out that offering any more than it currently is. (the other networks are now allowed to use their old frequencies like EE have, but the chance of that happening soon is probably slim)

CapDan
Trouble is that I have written confirmation from VF that my iPad would be compatible and moved to an 4G plan once network was up and running.

grolschuk

Unless there is a change that has not been announced (the question got asked a lot about iPhone5s)

The current spec as per the apple website is

Model A1455*

• CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)
  • GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
  • UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
  • LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)

Where the re-used 1800MHz is band 3

The new UK wide bands officially for 4G are 800MHz (Band20) and 2600MHz (Band7)

As mentioned everyone else on top of EE are allowed to re-use their band 3 allocation, but cannot see them doing it as they have lots more capacity on the stuff they have just paid for. (20 and 7)

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion
In writing from who?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi CapDan,

As grolschuk has mentioned, the iPad Mini isn’t compatible with the frequencies we’ll be using for 4G.

Did you get the iPad directly from Vodafone, or through a third party? Who gave you the confirmation that the iPad will work with our 4G?

Thanks,

Andrew

CapDan
Luckily I saved the chat with the sales adviser from Vodafone, through which I queried the subject. It was confirmed, that the iPad mini was indeed 4G compatible, and once 4G was up and running, the plan would change to 4G, I would see the 4G icon on the iPad etc..... As matters stand I have escalated the issue and am awaiting a call from "someone" higher up. Thus I will await the turn of events.....

CapDan
I still haven't heard from VF re. this misselling. What would be the best way to ctc VF directly. When I called today, I was advised to go to the contact us section on the VF website.

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi CapDan, 

If you drop us an email with some account information we'll be able to look into this for you. 

Take a look here for how to get in touch.

Thanks, 

Kay

Hi There,

Did this issue ever get sorted out for you as I fear I may have fallen into the same trap?

Many thanks