Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Massive data usage after iOS 8.4 update

Jtaylor91
2: Seeker
So been with Vodafone around 4-5 years on basically the same contract always around £50 a month. the only time it's gone more than that is when I've gone abroad or had to call a number that charges. Until last month when I updated to iOS 8.4 (I was on 7 something before). Now I've just got a bill with £146 worth of extra data charges?!?! I haven't changed anything I do with regards to phone usage etc always connected to wifi when I'm at home or work. It just doesn't make sense. Any ideas?
29 REPLIES 29

Jtaylor91
So they can't prove that I have used it, and I can't prove that I haven't.

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

Of course they can prove you've used it with a combination of the sim card number and IMEI number that makes it unique to your phone.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Jtaylor91
Been on the phone to Apple the update has caused a data leak. I have to do a backup and factory reset which should solve the issue. After that Apple are monitoring usage for 72 hours to make sure the problem isn't still occurring.

jeffkinn
That's excellent news. Well done.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

BandOfBrothers

@Jtaylor91 wrote:
Been on the phone to Apple the update has caused a data leak. I have to do a backup and factory reset which should solve the issue. After that Apple are monitoring usage for 72 hours to make sure the problem isn't still occurring.

Thank you for the update.

How are  going to monitor your usage ?

Please let us know how you get on. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Jtaylor91
I'm not sure how they monitor usage I have a call back on Thursday to make sure the fault isn't continuing. Vodafone have also said there was a fault but as far as they are concerned the data was still used and are still trying to charge me regardless of them admitting it was caused by a fault after the update. Saying I still need to go into a store and take a "certificate of fault" from Apple. So here I am back on the phone with Apple.

BandOfBrothers

Their is within the iPhone's settings diagnostics and usage which need to be turned on. 

Wether they can see what data is being used Im not 100% sure as Thats network based. 

Settings-Privacy-Diagnostics and Usage. 

Looking forward to a positive update. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

jeffkinn

This all sounds a bit weird to me. There is no general issue with 8.4 and I cannot understand how they could diagnose that without seeing the phone. Also Apple has no way whatsoever of monitoring your data usage wihtout having the phone in their possession.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Jtaylor91
Off the phone with Apple again, got further up the pay bracket this time. Had me run a diagnostics report via safari that they can see. An ADR report I believe he called it. He consulted with a technician who agrees it seems to be a software fault and have a meeting on Saturday at the Apple Store. They can see what apps are most frequently used. In is words he said nothing stood out or could explain the massive amount of data used.

jeffkinn

That sounds more like it.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png