Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Massive data usage after iOS 8.4 update

Jtaylor91
2: Seeker
So been with Vodafone around 4-5 years on basically the same contract always around £50 a month. the only time it's gone more than that is when I've gone abroad or had to call a number that charges. Until last month when I updated to iOS 8.4 (I was on 7 something before). Now I've just got a bill with £146 worth of extra data charges?!?! I haven't changed anything I do with regards to phone usage etc always connected to wifi when I'm at home or work. It just doesn't make sense. Any ideas?
29 REPLIES 29

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hello.

Welcome to the eForum. 

iOS8.4 wouldn't have affected your Data usage. 

Please see here what the firmware added  iOS-8-4

The iPhone will actively search out the Networks Data Connection if WiFi connection breaks and can when the screen times out. (Goes blank after a set timeout)

The best way to stop this is to turn Off Mobile Data in the phones settings. 

Their is also settings in the iPhone that can be tweaked to stop apps using Network Data and to stop them refreshing in the background (if you require help on these I can direct you on how)

The iPhone has an internal data monitor in Settings-Mobile/Cellular-The Apps at the bottom will show what's used how much data. But this does need to be reset at each allowance refresh to give a true figure. 

Ios8.4 introduced Apple Music - Have you accepted the 3 month free trial and are streaming the music as this could mean more data is being used. 

Tips-on-How-to-stop-running-out-of-Network-Mobile-Internet-Data/m-p/2410785

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Jtaylor91
Thanks for the quick reply no I haven't accepted the free trial. I know it will use network of wifi signal drops out. It's just extremely odd that after 4 years+ of never going over data allowance the month I update with iOS 8.4, I get whacked with £146 extra data charges. Having a quick google it seems other people who have updated to iOS 8.4 have actually had the exact same issue.

BandOfBrothers

Hello again. 

You will see also from a search that typically with a firmware update wether it be iOS or Android people report on increased and decreased Battery Life as well as Data usage. 

Sometimes this can be because of newly implemented features causing extended usage to try out these new features or because of a settling period for the phone with the firmware.

Im sure you know these smartphones scream out to be used online and lots of features in these phones are in someway linked to data usage. 

How did you update to iOS ? ie Was it OTA (over the air) as that would use Data if not connected to WiFi with Mobile Data turned off in the iPhone's settings. 

Current Phone  >

Jtaylor91
Hi again it was updated over wifi. Even if it wasn't surely it wouldn't cost me £146 to download a 1GBish update. It's just baffling how for 4 years I've never got anywhere close to my data limit I haven't changed how much or the way I use my phone. So for this high of a jump something isn't right.

BandOfBrothers

No I agree an iOS Update would not cause such an increase in Data usage but would help to raise data usage. 

Do you use online myvodafone and or the myvodafone App which should have highlighted the data usage.

Have you managed to check the internal monitor in the iPhone so see what has used how much data as I suggested ?

Vodafone wouldn't be able to advise what the Data has been used for only that it's showing as been used on your account. 

I assume no one has access to your iPhone and or no shared allowance feature is available on your account where another person can use the Data Allowance. 

You could have a diagnostic run on the iPhone via an Apples Stores Genius Bar (if you have on local to you. )

Apple Genius Bar Link.

Another available option would be to ask a Vodafone HighStreet Store to Sim Swap your Sim Card which moves your Mobile Number and Tariff to a new one. 

Current Phone  >

thank you.

i am going to contact apple.

vodafone want to send it away to run a check too but am a little wary of doing this so will contact apple first.

no one has access to the phone other than my son.

he uses about 6 phone texts a month and 30 mins of call out of unlimited texts and 600 mins - so really uses it to let me know he is on his way home from school with a bit of internet - most of which should be through wi fi as that is what we have at home.

Hi there,

I have a similar issue with my iPhone 5C (iOS 9.2.1).

Last month I received a text from Vodafone informing me I had used most of my UK data allowance.  4 days later, I received another stating I had used it all and was now being charged £6.50 for 250 MB.

This was the first time I had come anywhere near using my data allowance since upgrading back in May and hadn't changed my browsing habits.  I’m always on Wi-Fi when at home and do not use the phone to browse very often outside of the house.

This month I received the same texts from Vodafone.  My plan had refreshed last Thursday 17th March.  On Sunday 20th I got the text saying I had used most of the allowance and by Tuesday morning I had used it all!

I contacted Vodafone live chat yesterday and was informed about issues with the latest versions of iPhone and "data leakage".  The operator told me that this issue arises when the software and the background applications keep on using the data without our knowledge, apparently due to the frequent updates released for the iPhones.  I was told that to resolve the issue, I can either update the software version (I have actually started receiving prompts to upgrade to iOS 9.3 but have held off while I free up storage) or get the phone checked at the nearest Apple store.  Once Apple check the device and make the necessary updates, I will receive a data leakage certificate.  It’s not clear to me what the benefit of having this certificate is.

I’m not in the handiest location for an Apple store (and I am still waiting to receive the Proof of Purchase from the online help operator – they assured me I would have this document via email by the end of yesterday…) so I looked for ways to resolve the issue myself.  I have disabled Wi-Fi Assist and I have played about with the granular controls within the Mobile Data settings menu to decide exactly which app can siphon from my monthly plan (for example, I can now only use the Facebook app when connected to Wi-Fi).

Has anybody experienced the same issues and gone to the Apple store?  Was it worthwhile doing so?  And will the actions I have taken sort the data leakage issue?

It’s quite frustrating to have been charged for going over my monthly allowance without any knowledge about this data leakage, especially when Vodafone appeared to be aware of this issue with iPhones.

Thanks,

Peter

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@pete1412009 I think this is going to be more an issue with the iPhone and the way it handles wifi.

When you are connected to wifi and using data for whatever reason and the wifi signal drops for a split second the phone switches itself to cellular data and does not switch itself back to wifi when the wifi signal resumes full strength so a user is totally unaware that they are using celular data.

The phone only reconnects to wifi when the user manually wakes up the phone after it has gone into sleep mode.

The only exception to this is if the phone is connected to a wall socket when it will hold the wifi.

The only way to avoid this problem is to turn off cellular data when you are using wifi, then if the wifi drops cellular days can not be used.

Jtaylor91
I've literally just reset my data usage counter which was at 49GB from September 2013. And turned mobile data off (I don't want this happening again). Nobody else has access to the phone. Surely they must think he's used around 2GB a month for the last 2 years (my allowance is 7), to jump that high something isn't right. I spoke to somebody from Vodafone last night who basically told me to cancel the direct debit and go into store. Not the greatest help ever.