Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Massive data usage after iOS 8.4 update

Jtaylor91
2: Seeker
So been with Vodafone around 4-5 years on basically the same contract always around £50 a month. the only time it's gone more than that is when I've gone abroad or had to call a number that charges. Until last month when I updated to iOS 8.4 (I was on 7 something before). Now I've just got a bill with £146 worth of extra data charges?!?! I haven't changed anything I do with regards to phone usage etc always connected to wifi when I'm at home or work. It just doesn't make sense. Any ideas?
29 REPLIES 29

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

Terrible advice - do not cancel your direct debit under any circumstances as that would put you in the wrong and start a chain of events thata will harm your credit rating.

Vodafone will not be able to tell you how the data was used - they don't track that for privacy purposes. 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

BandOfBrothers

Advised to Cancel your Direct Debit ? Was this via Live Chat or by telephone Customer Services ?

Either way please don't follow that advice - That won't help and can actually hinder. The HighStreet Store wouldn't really be able to further this for you either.

You haven't been near any UK borders that could have instigated the iPhone to latch onto another Foreign Network or ferries Network ?

As their is no capping applied by Vodafone they will probably not monitor your usage as this is overseen by the Account Holder via the Vodafone App and Online. 

Im not sure but their maybe an App you can download to help the further monitoring of your allowance usage. 

Vodafone have been known to send a text notification when an allowance is coming close to being exhausted but as we've seen from recent posts they are not a given service. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Jtaylor91
Well the direct debit is cancelled now after advice from support on the phone. I did question it but was told to go ahead and it would be fine.... Great. Not been near any borders. Didn't receive a message until last night which just said your usage is higher than normal here's your bill. I do have the my Vodafone app and monitored my usage for a few months at the beginning of my contract, but after coming to the conclusion that I was nowhere near my limit and my bills were always the same I never looked at it again.

BandOfBrothers

Ok. 

I thought it worth a shot asking. 

I would strongly suggest you speak to Customers Services on 191 to re establish the Direct Debit.

You can pay manually each month but then an Administration Fee is also applied each time. 

Current Phone  >

Jtaylor91
Thanks for your help, I will give them another ring today and start at square one again.

BandOfBrothers

You're very Welcome. 

😎

Current Phone  >

jeffkinn

You will get frustrated at this process because you won't be able to get the answers you're looking for. The network will not be able to tell you anything other than that used the data and when. They won't tell you how or why because they simply don't know.

Warning texts are meant to be used by they aren't guaranteed and as customers we are provided with the means of checking usage for ourselves.

There are many reasons why usage suddenly spikes. Updating phones and apps is one of them. An updated app that suddenly works in a different way, like Facebook or Twitter auto playing videos. We've seen instances of emails sitting in an outbox trying and failing to send for some reason over and over again.

The simple fact is that if you used the data you'll be expected to pay for it unless you can prove beyond doubt that you didn't use it which is next to impossible.

If you look in iOS settings-mobile and scroll down you'll see that you can decide for each app if it uses mobile data or not so you can control how the phone is being used. 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Jtaylor91
Any idea of a contact number in the UK? Or somebody to speak to here? The call centre now has no idea what I'm talking about. Just telling me irrelevant scripted statements.

jeffkinn

191 is the only number. As I said you'll find it frustrustrating because you're looking for an answer that they simply cannot give to you.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

BandOfBrothers

Hi

General enquiries: Monday to Sunday 8am – 9pm

Wait until these times and you may have an improved chance of speaking to a UK agent. If not ask to be transferred. 

Saying that they still should be able to set up the new direct debit. 

Current Phone  >