Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Merry Christmas!

DDDDDDDD
2: Seeker
Hi,

I have bought my wife an iPhone 5s via a new Vodafone contract.
The phone arrived today. All sealed. No sim has ever gone inside.
Will her EE nano sim work?

Many thanks and all the best

DDDDDDDD
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hello DDDDDDDD

Whatever you do dont put the EE SIM in the phone, the phone will lock to the first SIM put in the phone and should you want to get the phone unlocked, you will have problems.

The IMEI will be on Vodafone's data base and locked to EE. 

View solution in original position

16 REPLIES 16

Jamiesneddon
4: Newbie

the phone will be locked to vodafone - so no you wont be able to use an EE sim.

AnnS

Hello DDDDDDDD

Whatever you do dont put the EE SIM in the phone, the phone will lock to the first SIM put in the phone and should you want to get the phone unlocked, you will have problems.

The IMEI will be on Vodafone's data base and locked to EE. 

DDDDDDDD
Thanks AnnS. So, if I request an unlock code, how will I know if it's unlocked?

AnnS

Quite sure Vodafone require 3 months payments before the phone can be unlocked but you are welcome to try.

Complete the form below.

Network unlock code request form

You won't get a code as such, just synchronise to itunes with an alternative SIM.  You will get a message to let you know the phone is unlocked.

The phone won't be locked until you place the first SIM in the phone which needs to be your Vodafone contract SIM.  Do not use the EE SIM as the first, you will never get the phone unlocked.

DDDDDDDD
Hi AnnS, thanks again.

You said that if I put an alternate sim inside that I will never get it unlocked so, if I request the code, how will I know that I can put an alternate sim inside without blocking it forever?

AnnS

Put your Vodafone SIM in the phone, it will then be locked to Vodafone and registered to your account as it should be. You can then put the unlock request in.

The unlock comes from Apple and you may or may not receive a notification that the phone is unlocked.  Just keep synronising to itunes.

Please remember that you may not be able to get the unlock until after the third payment.

DDDDDDDD
Understood, AnnS.

For a customer who has been with Vodafone consistently for 10+ years, I would hope that they would give me a better customer experience than holding me over a barrel for 3 months, especially when I wasn't advised of all this at point of sale.

Thank you for the advice, AnnS. You're a credit to the team.

Merry Christmas

DDDDDDDD
I've just spoken with customer service who say that the phone will be UNLOCKED until a sim is put inside.

Can someone who 100% knows this answer please reply...

A very confused DDDDDDDD

AnnS

@DDDDDDDD wrote:
I've just spoken with customer service who say that the phone will be UNLOCKED until a sim is put inside.

Can someone who 100% knows this answer please reply...

A very confused DDDDDDDD

Read my reply message 5 above where I have mentioned the phone will be unlocked until a SIM is put in the phone.  If you put the EE SIM in the phone, it will immediately lock to EE which is going to give you enormous problems should you ever need to get the phone unlocked.

If thats not going to cause you a problem go ahead, but I just wanted to make you aware of the complications. 

You would be better off going straight to Apple where you would be able to purchase an unlocked iphone to use with any SIM.