Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

NUC code requested for iPhone

izabelanc
4: Newbie

Hi there.

My fiancé is abroad and unable to use the iPhone 5 which is locked to Vodafone. This is a frustrating situation. I have already sent a unlock request form to NUC Vodafone and had a reply earlier today. 

This was in the email:

"Here is an update on your request to unlock your phone so you can use it on a different network.

We are getting the code for you

We did not have the code on our database so we have asked your phone manufacturer for it.

Reference Number: 1557816

How long does it take?

It can take up to 10 working days for us to get the code from them. As soon as we do, we will email it to you - along with instructions on what to do next.

Thanks,

Vodafone Customer Services Team"

I have just had a chat with Apple (the manufacture) with 2 advisors (got escalated to senior advisor) and he assured me multiple times the unlock code isn't provided by Apple. I have the transcript of the chat which I'm happy to send anytime to a Vodafone customer service. This is one of the lines of the transcript: 

"Kevin:
Yes, I can definitely confirm that the unlock takes place on their side, and there’s no code involved as it seems to be for some other mobile phones."

So according to Apple themselves, Vodafone has the codes, why would they 'blame' the wait of up to 10 days on the manufacture?

Vodafone is changing too much in the last years. Before, you'd call them up and they'd give the code out immidiately. I feel that customer service is deteriorating more and more. I can never get through to the online customer service chat either. 

Seriously, I just need the iPhone unlocked ASAP.

I'm one unhappy customer.

Thanks for your time.

2 REPLIES 2

63johnw
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion
Hi. It is my understanding that you request the unlock to Vodafone, they then pass this on to apple who then unlock the phone. You do not receive notification you just have to keep trying the phone connected to iTunes with a different sim from another network in the phone. Once its unlocked it will work. This case take a couple of weeks. It is definitely apple that do the unlocking though.

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

The email that you have been sent by Vodafone is a generic one and isn't specific to an Apple device where there is no code.  However, the rest of the information is correct as Vodafone have to contact the manufacturer (Apple) in order to get the phone unlocked. It is also correct that it will take about 10 working days (although with Apple involved, it isn't uncommon for it to take 3 weeks)

Unfortunately, what you have been told by Apple is a load of lies and I genuinely wish that they would stop telling them.  No network provider can unlock an iPhone.   What happens is that the network provider gets your request, processes it and then passes it onto Apple.  Apple themselves action the unlocking and then push the unlocking through to iTunes.  You then complete the unlocking by connecting the iPhone to iTunes with a non Vodafone SIM card in it - you'll get a message telling you that the phone has been unlocked when you do this. You can also use the method to check to see if the unlocking has been completed. 

PWIAC