You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 2: First Poster
greenwich

New Ipad Personal Hotspot

Hi,

New IPAD

Before purchasing personal hotspot I checked with Vodafone (via Chat) that it would work for my needs and then a few days later I was called by Vodafone sales person and I decided to go ahead after it was also verbally confirmed that the mobile hotspot (Tethering) would work and I signed up for eurotraveller package to allow me to work litterally from anywhere and check work emails (which requires wi-fi connection as it's locked down machine).

Ipad arrived, no personal hotspot.  called vodafone- 191 - was told my account is all setup for Tethering to work and the menu options should be available.  Nick from 191 suggested I call apple to get them to check the ipad settings.

Called Apple - open case - they informed me that Tethering is a carrier setting and it's possible the ipad hadn't received the carrier update to enable the tethering.  So we performed a 'restore' of the ipad - but this has not resolved the issue.

I am at a loss as to what to do next.  If I can't use tethering on the Ipad then I really need a work around or solution such a mi-fi device....

Can someone from Vodafone who knows what how to get my situation sorted please contact me.

Thanks

Ian

Message 1 of 67 (11,712 Views)
Antweir55

Re: New Ipad Personal Hotspot

Hi Ian, I too have the same issue, The new iPad does support Personal Hotspot, but it depends on your carrier settings. Vodafone does support it but need to work on the carrier settings as they are not the same across the board... Hopefully it will be sorted very soon. Thanks, Ant
Hope I helped :smileyhappy:

Welcome to Vodafone!
Message 2 of 67 (11,682 Views)
greenwich

Hi Lee,

So this seems to be a widespread problem.  But as i relied on the information from Vodafone to actually decide to purchase the ipad in the first place, I do think they are under an obligation to give me a temporary solution to the tethering - until such time as a permanent solution can be given...aka please send me a wifi device I can use instead to fullfill the need I clearly stated I had before I purchased the Ipad.  There should also be a disclaimer placed on all future ipad purchase screens - so that people are aware there is a problem and that there is limited functionality..etc...

I have been with Vodafone many years...many many...please you can do better.

Message 3 of 67 (11,672 Views)
greenwich

sorry meant 'Ant' :smileyhappy:

Message 4 of 67 (11,671 Views)
Antweir55

[ Edited ]
Hi Ian, I agree except the problem is with Apple not Vodafone, Apple control every aspect of their handsets including the marketing material that network operators give to consumers. Try and give Vodafone a call and explain what has happened, they might be able to offer some sort of deal for you on a temporary basis. As you rightly said this is a widespread problem so Apple and Vodafone should be releasing a update to their carrier settings very soon. Thanks again, Ant

Welcome to Vodafone!
Message 5 of 67 (11,668 Views)
greenwich

Hi Ant, Well I don't quite agree with you, as calling apple results in them replying that Vodafone are responsible for the carrier updates and that apple do not control these. Will call customer services again for the umteenth time...see what they say, but honestly they don't seem to know what is going on. Vodafone should come clean with this and point out before anymore people buy the product what the limitations are. So you are happy to continue on your contract without tethering...just sitting waiting to see what happens? What did Vodafone do to address your issue .... You seem pretty comfortable with it?
Message 6 of 67 (11,659 Views)
Antweir55

[ Edited ]
Hi, Ian I had the same issue with my iPhone 4 on both O2 and Vodafone, and I had to wait for them to issue the update. That is how I know it is down to Apple as both O2 and Vodafone confirmed there's no much they can do on their side as of yet until Apple push the update to the iPhones and iPads. Its simular to the unlocking process, Apple wont unlock a handset unless Vodafone send a request, so again Apple control the process. Apple and Vodafone need to sort out the issue but ultimately it is for Apple to allow the update to be published so it is a waiting game. For me they added the three months data drive on my account and I put it into my iPhone and setup a personal hotspot that way. It indeed is very long but there's not much more I could do. Hopefully they will sort this out soon as its not the only thing that the new iPad doesn't do what it claims. Thanks again, Ant

Welcome to Vodafone!
Message 7 of 67 (11,657 Views)
greenwich

I have heard that over the weekend 3 have released their settings update, so 3 iPad users can now us personal hotspot. So how close are Vodafone to releasing theirs?
Message 8 of 67 (11,546 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Hi everyone.

Thank you for your posts and I understand the eagerness to use this feature.

Unfortunately we are unable to provide possible updates or timescales, for further information please take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions for further information.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

Message 9 of 67 (11,483 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
Robster2007

Still waiting for this MUCH needed fix.

Really not sure why we were poiinted at the FAQ, as there is absolutely nothing there about personal hotspot!

Robin

Message 10 of 67 (10,937 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi Robster2007,

As we don’t control any updates that are made from Apple we have no way of giving any details regarding future updates for software releases.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 11 of 67 (10,921 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
daviasht

My mate has the new iPad on 3 network and he has got personal hotspots working on his iPad I know because I was tethering off his iPad today. Suley it is something that could easily be resolved we have it on the iPhone 4 and 4S Regards Dave
Regards Dave

iPhone 4 16gb, iPhone 4S 32gb
iPhone 5 16gb, iPad 3 16gb
Message 12 of 67 (10,909 Views)
greenwich

Hi Personal hotspot is available on the 3 network in the uk, Vodafone are yet to turn it on. To be clear this is not anything to do with apple. Apple implements the hotspot as per the carrier's direction, in this case vodafone. Vodafone dont seem to accept this needs to be addressed. Both the vodafone staff, website content and statements on the apple website about personal hotspot on the new ipad state that it is available anf supported on vodafone in the uk. the fact is it is not and inspite of this nearly 3 months later its not been updated either way to tell the truth that its not supported/possible or to implement it so that it is supported and works. I purchased my ipad on the basis of this functionality so that a mifi device would not be needed! Which is not the case, It would seem as a customer you are sent from vodafone to apple and back again in a circle but without resolution,....
Message 13 of 67 (10,888 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Dave

Hi greenwich,

Can you advise where you have seen this stated on the Vodafone UK or Apple websites, as I am unable to locate this.

If you can provide URLs and point these out I will be happy to pass this on.

Dave

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 14 of 67 (10,865 Views)
Antweir55

Vodafone are not the ones who control the carrier settings, I think it's very clear Apple control every aspect of their devices. We will have to wait just like people on Orange, O2 and T-Mobile. Always remember Three will try and undercut the big four networks so they will strike a loss making deal before other networks.

Welcome to Vodafone!
Message 15 of 67 (10,854 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
Lalchandani

I got a Vodafone micro sim for my iPad ( new iPad) yesterday but am not able to use tethering as personal hotspot doesn't show up. I called up the customer care yesterday and they said they enabled it but nothing happened. What do I need to do? Can someone help please? Prashant
Message 16 of 67 (10,135 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi Lalchandani,

Thanks for your post here.

Unfortunately the personal hotspot feature is currently not available to any carrier in theUK.

We are currently waiting for an update from apple to enable this feature on the device for allUKcustomers on every network.

James

Message 17 of 67 (10,092 Views)
Wiggins25

Vodafone should know better. I have a friend in the same situation and we are spending alot of money.

WE should be offered a partial refund whilst the personal hotspot feature is not available.
Message 18 of 67 (9,940 Views)
leeus

James,

You are plain wrong!

Three allow it and have done since launch.  About 4 weeks ago O2 also allowed this.

When will we get it or are Vodafone yet again just trying to be money grabbing?

Message 19 of 67 (9,918 Views)
Tech Team
Ben_H

Hi leeus,

As pointed out further above, we have little control over the release of software updates. My advice is to check for updates regularly through iTunes. This feature will be ready as and when it is made available to us as a network. There's nothing further we can add at this point.

Cheers, Ben

Message 20 of 67 (9,858 Views)