Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Phone rings a couple of times and then cuts off

JuliaMama
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

My phone rings a couple of times and then cuts off, however it is not actually  ringing, so I am unaware.  

People say it is a bit disconcerting as it appears I am busy and am physically cutting them off, but it does not ring on my phone.

I don't know whether it is my old iphone 4, because it also does not alert me when I get messages and whats app, even though I put the alert button on.

It is very puzzling.

12 REPLIES 12

kids
Community Champion (Retired)

Try doing a hard reboot of the phone as that will often clear any clitches.

This is data safe so you won't lose anything that is on your phone:

Hold the Home and the On / Off buttons down together until the Apple logo appear then relese and let the phone restart itself.

Also check in the sounds setting to make sure that you have an audible tone set for your message alerts.

Thank you I have rebooted the phone.  I think that was a really useful bit of info and I did not know how to do that, so thanks.

Yes I did choose my audible sound but it only seems to sound when my phone is active.  If my phone goes to sleep it does not make a sound.

Cheers

Oh by the way just want to say thanks.  I went in and looked at my alerts for my messages and whats app and realised it was set on banner only - which is why I was not getting the alerts.

Very grateful

kids

@JuliaMama wrote:

Oh by the way just want to say thanks.  I went in and looked at my alerts for my messages and whats app and realised it was set on banner only - which is why I was not getting the alerts.

Very grateful

:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi

On the iPhone hold down the Power & Home button together until  Logo shows then release both & the iPhone will reset. 

Other options are :

Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings.

Yiu you can lengthen the number of rings before the call tries to divert to any voicemail. 

Your Vodafone mobile is set to ring for 15 seconds before going to voicemail. You can change how long it rings for, choosing from 5 to 30 seconds in 5-second intervals.

To choose your desired ringing time:
Enter **61*121*11* on your Vodafone mobile
Choose the number of seconds you’d like your phone to ring for, followed by #
Press Call
A confirmation message will pop up on your screen with your new ring time
For example, if you want to set your Vodafone mobile to ring for 25 seconds, you enter **61*121*11*25#, and press Call. When the message pops up, you’ll know it’s all done.

From https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Calls-texts-and-voicemail/Vodafone-call-features/40854185/How-do-I-in...

and or try cancelling all diverts via 

you no longer wish to divert your calls to your voicemail or another number, you need to cancel the diverts.

1. Cancel all diverts
Press Phone.
Press Keypad.
Key in ##002# and press the call icon.
2. Return to the home screen
Press the Home key to return to the home screen.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you I have reset my phone by holding the power and main button simultanously.  

However when I tried to cancel the diverts it gave me a message:

"Error performing request - Unknown error

Setting Erasure Failed

Voice Call Forwarding All Calls

Setting Erasure Failed

Data Call Forwarding All Calls"

However I do know for a fact I cancelled call diverts awhile ago and do not have the voicemail option.

Good news I realised I had set my messages and whats app on Banner Only - so am now getting the alerts.

kids

@JuliaMama wrote:

Thank you I have reset my phone by holding the power and main button simultanously.  

However when I tried to cancel the diverts it gave me a message:

"Error performing request - Unknown error

Setting Erasure Failed

Voice Call Forwarding All Calls

Setting Erasure Failed

Data Call Forwarding All Calls"

However I do know for a fact I cancelled call diverts awhile ago and do not have the voicemail option.

Good news I realised I had set my messages and whats app on Banner Only - so am now getting the alerts.

Pleased to hear that you are now getting the alerts.
How are you trying to cancel the voicemail diverts?
Try turning the mail off by dialling 1210 > send and then turn it on again by dialling 1211>send.
Are you actually getting any calls going to your voicemail when people call you?

No I don't think I need to do this as I cancelled the voicemail option years ago, my phone is just set to ring and not be answered.

kids

Now you have rebooted the phone let's hope the phone ring out so you can hear it.

If not post back here and as you have taken voicemail out of the equation  there may be other ideas as to what the problem is.