You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 4: Established Poster
daniel_93
Accepted Solution

Problems!!

Hi,

In august 2011 I got an 18month Iphone 4 I then had it replaced by apple in kingston in January.

Then the past three days i've had problems with the phone no signal / service problems it just keeps freezing and i've checked the coverage thing and it says it should be working!

I do have the insurance with vodafone.

Quite frankly I am getting annoyed now, as yes I have been able to make calls but they just drop and I am finding myself constatly turning the phone on and off just to get signal!!

Anyone help me? I am sick of restoring the phone etc I shouldn't have to be doing this.

Message 1 of 21 (3,651 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Re: Problems!!

Hi daniel_93,

Please try the steps in our Network Troubleshooting thread.

If you are still experiencing the issue having completed these steps, post the template with your answers here and I'll have a member of the team get back to you ASAP.

Thanks

Lee

Message 2 of 21 (3,649 Views)
daniel_93

Hi

I just checked the faults board and have seen that postcodes within ox16 have a fault that was from the 26-3-13 days and it says there is no known timescale!

Also two people at work who are with vodafone; one with a galaxy s2 and one with an iphone4s are having no problems!!

I really dont think it is good enough when my bill is 58.99£ a month. 

There are 5 of us in my house all on vodafone.

My dads phone is fine and he has an old samsung (pay and go)

My mum, brother and sister all have a blackberry 9300 (mum pays the contracts all pay monthly) with no problems what so ever

me iphone 4 (pay monthly i pay it myself and am the account holder) only one with problems

1). Does the issue happen in just one location? various locations!

2). Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone? this is not possible! do not have a micro sim adapter. my family have blackberrys and are not having any problem with the vodafone network just myself.

3). Can you check your coverage here ? Please bear in mind that this is only a guideline and can never be 100% accurate, particularly for indoor coverage. good indoors and outdoors

4). Can you check our Faults Board, which contains all the mast issues we’re aware of. above

5). Does this issue happen on 2G/3G or both. To check this, you can amend your phone's network settings, our Help Centre contains all the instructions, just select your model of phone and then select "network".

6). What is the full postcode of where the issue occurs (if you’re uncomfortable with this appearing on the forum, then please add it to your profile by clicking “My eForum Settings” on the front page and then selecting “Personal Information” ox16 area

7). How far you have to travel to get signal - various 

8). Do you get any error messages/tones if you’re having problems with calling/texting - message failure the occasional time

Message 3 of 21 (3,646 Views)
Rank 42: Oracle I
thesoupdragon

Hi daniel_93

Do you have a "Bumper" (Phone surrround) on your iPhone?

There is a well documented flaw with the aerial on the iPhone which is easily rectified by using a "Bumper". It basically prevents your hand from blocking the signal.

Ebay is a good place to pick one up cheap!

Wink.gif

halloweenSig.png

Message 4 of 21 (3,589 Views)
daniel_93

hi, thesoupdragon

I have heard about this flaw, but it's not the problem with me.

It's been 6days now since this has happened. I am getting fedup its been replaced once,

I'm spending all this money on my contract for a phone I can't always use, I'm finding myself constatly restarting the phone atm.

Sometimes it will be sat on the table and it just goes no service and im not even holding it so I think

it is a problem with the unit.

I will look at getting a bumper case, but I do think apple should reinburst any customers who do seeming as it is their fault

with the phone. 

Message 5 of 21 (3,560 Views)
Tech Team
Simon

Hi daniel_93

I can understand how this would be frustrating if you continue to have difficulties picking up a signal on your phone in areas where other Vodafone users receive full signal.

There are a couple of suggestions that I can make. I would certainly recommend trying out TSD's suggestion of using a bumper or case on your phone so that you're not directly in contact with the antenna when picking up the phone.

I'd also recommend trying a SIM swap if you haven't been able to already. Finally if the SIM swap doesn't work then we will be looking at a repair under warranty. You can arrange this either in a Vodafone or Apple Store and you more information can be found here - Repair a faulty Vodafone handset.

Thanks

Simon

Message 6 of 21 (3,552 Views)
daniel_93

Hi Simon,

If I was to buy a bumper case do we get reimbursed?
I bought the contract with the intention of having a workig phone I wasn't warned about this problem and found out afterwards it was too late!
It's annoying I have already had one replacement from the apple store and now the same problems are arising.

The last few times I've been to my store to require a microsim for it to be sent off they never had any so I don't even bother
Goig into the store anymore!
The problem I am havin is people at work with iPhones don't have bumper cases and there's are fine.
And I don't want to send my phone off without an adapter to put in my blackberry as we don't get discounted on the bill and I need my phone as I drive and I can't risk not having a phone with me at anytime.

Daniel
Message 7 of 21 (3,544 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi Daniel_93,

When it comes to the bumper cases this isn’t something that we would reimburse as it was something that has been originally recommended by Apple to resolve the issue that they had with the phone.

Unfortunately if you have already had a replacement form apple then I don’t know if another replacement or repair will resolve the issue for you

In regards to the adapter, this can be purchased from our online store for £2 and can then be used in any phone with your Micro SIM.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 8 of 21 (3,520 Views)
Rank 47: Master I
jeffkinn

The whole antenna business was blown up out of all proportion. Anyway, this clearly isn't your problem as the phone has been working properly and now isn't. Its either a network issue or the phone itself has developed a hardware fault.

It is still under warranty and so I suggest you go back to an Apple store and let them check the phone out. if it has developed a fault it will be replaced again.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 9 of 21 (3,516 Views)
daniel_93

Hi 

James to be honest I actually was not warned about this when I bought the phone,

and like jeffkinn has said it clearly is a hardware fault, as my phone has been working fine,

I went to the apple store in kingston as I was visting up there and my closest one is milton kenyes with the only problem being I work awkard hours and the store is around an hour away from me which means using petrol money to travel up to come back and have the phone yet again repaired.

And I can't be doing without a phone for 2weeks. So I guess I'm going to have to buy a micro adapter and have the stupid phone sent off, getting an iphone just seems to have been the worse idea and phone I have had I have had all these problems its ridiculous.

Daniel

Message 10 of 21 (3,511 Views)
Tech Team
DaveCD

Hi daniel_93

I understand your frustration as we rely on our devices more these days, however as mentioned it may be the device but there is also the possibility of the network experiencing difficulties.

I have checked the Faults Board and can see that there is a known issue in the OX16 area which has had a known issue since before this thread was started and we hope to have this up and running at full capacity in the very near future, if you subscribe to the thread you will be notified of any changes as they happen.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team 

Message 11 of 21 (3,495 Views)
daniel_93

Hi
Dave

Sorry for this late reply but I have been busy, I did mention that I knew there was a fault,it is just there is people at work and my family and my familys friends who dont have any problems just me, and I guess for now when I have a chance I'm going to have to goto a apple store, and I cant wait til boxing day to upgrade iphone was my worse buy ever!

Daniel
Message 12 of 21 (3,459 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
savio27

You are much better off going to an apple store to see a genius rather than sending it off for a week or so with vodafone. Apple will most likely replace the handset there and then for free.

The bumper cost was reimbursed only during Apple's Case program which ran for a couple of months just after the handset was launched in summer 2010. In the end they said it wasn't a hardware issue, however they redesigned the antenna in the iphone 4s.
Message 13 of 21 (3,441 Views)
daniel_93

thank you savio27

Ive been lucky to actually win some money which means my car insurance is been paid off and I'm looking at getting a htc one v when it is released, does anyone no if voafone are realising this phone pay and go if not I will go third party. Apparently the insurance is cheaper too on a htc.

Daniel
Message 14 of 21 (3,420 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
savio27

My advice would be to purchase the HTC handset sim-free from somewhere like Play/Amazon when it's released and use your current contract with this handset.  Buying it sim-free would also mean it would be free from vodafone bloatware and you could use any network whenever you feel like.  Also, you can sell/recycle your current iphone to cover the sim-free cost of the HTC.  Just make sure you get it insured as soon as you get it, along with a case!

Message 15 of 21 (3,394 Views)
daniel_93

Hi savio27

That was my plan as vodafone are offering me crap money for it can get 250£ from carphonewarehouse.

I really do like the htc one v too, like the little curve on it, me and phones on a nightout seem to end up on the floor.!

I will deffintly  be getting a case and it insured, when I cancel my iphone insurance does vodafone make me still pay the month over?

But I regret ever getting a iphone I was so excited to get rid of my blackberry for it, but no try a htc with a microsim adapter and then if I dont like it I get my upgrade on boxing day!

Thanks for your help savio27

Daniel_93

Message 16 of 21 (3,350 Views)
Tech Team
Tech Team
Kay

Hi Daniel, 

It looks like you've made a decision on buying the handset out right but if you would like to discuss any options further with us, please drop us an email and we'll be in touch. 

Details on how to email us are in the private message I've just sent, you can find your PM inbox here.

All the best, 

Kay

Message 17 of 21 (3,331 Views)
daniel_93

Hi

Kay,

I have replied to your pm you sent me, would I actually be able to be helped, seen as my contract doesn't expire

until feburary and my upgrade date is boxing day?

I won't be able to check this again now until 1630 today as I am at work from half ten til then for a break then a start again at

half five til 2200.

Thanks

Daniel

Message 18 of 21 (3,328 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi Daniel_93,

I can see that your email is in our queue and one of the team will be looking at this as soon as possible for you.

Once they have taken a look at this they will be able to give you more details on what we can do for you.

James

If you have any comments regarding how I have handled your query today, please complete our short feedback survey.

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 19 of 21 (3,320 Views)
daniel_93

Thank you James.
Hopefully something good will come out of this.

Daniel
Message 20 of 21 (3,303 Views)