Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Registering imei number

Any1else
4: Newbie

Hi,

Just bought a second hand iPhone 5s and went into my local vodafone store to get a sim and asked them to register the imei number and they wouldnt do it. I am a vodafone contract customer and thought this would be a formality. Can someone confirm how I can get the imei number registered on my account?

Got the sim ok though.

11 REPLIES 11

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

When you say you want the phone registered against your account - what exactly are you trying to acheive?  What are your reasons for asking for this to be done?  Perhaps if we have this info we could give you some advice.

PWIAC

Thanks for the reply.

Doesn't the new imei number need to be associated with my account?

I may want the phone unlocked next year and I thought that this had to be registered to allow the unlock proceedure. At least that is what the seller advised me to do.

AnnS
17: Community Champion

@Any1else wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Doesn't the new imei number need to be associated with my account?

I may want the phone unlocked next year and I thought that this had to be registered to allow the unlock proceedure. At least that is what the seller advised me to do.

The seller doesn't know what he is talking about.

If you use the forum search facility, you will find that only the original owner can get the phone unlocked.  The original owner would even be able to report the phone lost or stolen and have the phone IMEI blocked.

Cheers AnnS. I think he is stringing me along to be honest. I have tried to get him to complete the vodafone unlock request form but he is reluctant for some reason. His last mail said that he had aready informed vodafone that he had sold the phone and the only thing I needed to do was register the imei with my account.

What can I do then? I dont want the phone unlocked just now but may want to be able to do it at a later date. As all the forum posts state, it needs to be the original account holder that initiates it. Does that mean that I am using the phone at their mercy from now on (hoping they dont block the imei number) and that If I wanted it unlocked say in a years time that I woukd have to email him and get him to do it?

63johnw
Hi, all the above information is correct, you would need the original owner to arrange the unlocking.

Thanks for all the help. I have emailed the original owner and asked for his help if, in the future I want it unlocked. Wont hold my breath. 

Concerned a bit about him still being in control of the imei number though. How can I get it "transfered" so that it is "my" number? (If you know what I mean). 

drey_p

@Any1else wrote:

How can I get it "transfered" so that it is "my" number? (If you know what I mean). 

You can't I'm afraid.  The IMEI number of the device will always show against the original account on which it was supplied. 

PWIAC

Cheers dray_p, would this still be the case even if the original owner advised vodafone that they had sold the phone?

drey_p

I'm afraid that they can inform the mobile phone provider that they are selling the handset but nothing happens with that as there is no way to reflect that you are the new owner.

PWIAC