Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

US to UK Travel - Setup with Pay as You Go SIM

MichaelBandor
3: Seeker

My family will be traveling to the UK this summer from the US and I wanted to get a micro SIM for my daughter's iPhone 4S.  Can they be purchased in advance (understanding that they can't be activated until they are actually in the UK? Unlocking the phone is not an issue.

What about the Wireless HotSpot?  We're looking at one of those as well. Does the credit applied to each start upon activation or upon purchase?  I'm assuming upon activation.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

drey_p
16: Advanced member

I've checked the store locator and there isn't a Vodafone store at Edinburgh Airport.  There is, however, a store about 2 miles away at The Gyle Shopping Centre.

PWIAC

View solution in original position

23 REPLIES 23

drey_p

Hi there

They can be purchased in advance but can't be shipped to an address outside of the UK so if you are staying with friends or family you can have it shipped to them.  Alternatively, if you are flying into Heathrow airport, there is a Vodafone Store in Terminal 5, just behind the Zone B check in area.  They'll be able to provide you with a PAYG SIM and a PAYG MiFi device.

Your credit starts when you top up with the voucher, so you could buy a voucher today and only top up using it in a few days time - that is when your credit starts.

PWIAC

Thanks for the reply.  Do you know if there is a Vodaphone store/kiosk at the Edinburgh airport?  They will be traveling to Keswick (shorter distance than Heathrow) from there.

drey_p

I've checked the store locator and there isn't a Vodafone store at Edinburgh Airport.  There is, however, a store about 2 miles away at The Gyle Shopping Centre.

PWIAC

Does the phone have to be unlocked to do this? I am traveling as well and am interested in this option.

Does you phone have to be unlocked to do this? I am traveling to the UK from the US as well and was looking into this option. 

Thanks!

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)
The phone does have to be unlocked by your carrier.

LiamTaylor

My family of 4 will be traveling to the UK from the US for 3 weeks.  3 of us have IPhone 5s's.  We plan to purchase SIM cards when we arrive and a disposable phone for the 4th person.  The main purpose is to be able to communicate with each other while we are in the UK and to have some data if we need it and don't have WiFi.  Will this work if our phones are unlocked?  We arrive at Gatwick on a Sunday morning.  Where is the closest place to purchase these items and get set up?

drey_p
Hi there

As long as your phones are unlocked, they should work in the UK. The nearest Vodafone store is in the Crawley County Mall. You may find stores within Gatwick Airport that will be able to sell you the PAYG SIM cards. Also a number of supermarkets sell SIM cards to.

PWIAC

Thank you.  Is that store opened on Sundays?  If so, do you know the hours?  Where can I purchase a disposable phone for my daughter?