Support:

Apple

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
benhudson

Unlocking IPhone 3GS (On contract) to T-mobile

Hi there,

i have a Iphone 3GS (with vodafone) that i want unlocking to tmobile. I have the phone with my contract but i am looking to buy an iphone 4 PAYG on vodafone and give the Iphone 3GS to my son who has a T-Mobile sim only contact!

Is it possible to unlock my Iphone?

Cheers :smileyhappy:

Message 1 of 30 (10,441 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Woody

Re: Unlocking IPhone 3GS (On contract) to T-mobile

Hi benhudson,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Yes, you can get this handset unlocked to work on other networks. You can find more information on Network Unlock Codes in the Help Centre, along with instructions on what you need to do next.

Woody

eForum Team

Message 2 of 30 (10,405 Views)
Rank 32: Scholar I
kids

As I pointed out a few days ago the link to the 'Help Centre' and then the NUC request form does not give you an option to select an iPhone, neither is it possible to manually enter the make / model of the phone. :smileyindifferent:

Message 3 of 30 (10,400 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
BenJ

Hi kids

You are quite correct, I'll let Woody know this,

Hi benhudson,

I've sent you an email so we can get this sorted out for you.  If you could reply with the details and pop your IMEI number on there (if you dial in *#06* you should have this listed)

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team

Message 4 of 30 (10,396 Views)
MrHemmings

I also have a iPhone 3GS locked to Vodafone UK but I want to unlock to o2. If I were to provide the imei would you be able to send me a NUC please

Regards
MrHemmings
Message 5 of 30 (10,291 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi MrHemmings,

Welcome to the vodafone eForum from all of the team.

You don't need to worry about this as you can usually request any unlock code via our online form however we are currently awaiting for this to be updated to include the option for the iPhone, so we can get this all sorted for you I have sent you a quick email, simply reply with your details and we can get everything sorted for you.

James

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 6 of 30 (10,248 Views)
Geoffman

Hi James,

I have a similar situation in that I'm not keen on the iPhone 3GS, and have actually swapped phones with my son-in-law, as I prefer his Sony Ericsson. He is on o2 sim only. I have tried to request an unlock code for him via the form but ran into the same situation with no option of apple to select.

Please could you email me (via my son-in-law's email listed in my details) with the steps to unlock it.

Thanks

Geoffrey

Message 7 of 30 (10,225 Views)
Geoffman

Hi,

As per my message above, unfortunately I still haven't had a response back from the online form I attempted to complete, so can only assume it failed. Once again, please could somebody help me unlock the phone as soon as possible, to stop my son-in-law chewing my ear off!!!! :smileyhappy:

Thanks

Geoffrey

Message 8 of 30 (10,178 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Dave

[ Edited ]

Hi Geoffman, welcome to the eForum!

Don't worry, I've popped you an email now to help get this sorted.

Please reply back with your details and we can look into this for you.

Dave

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 9 of 30 (10,152 Views)
lewisj123

I have an iphone 3gs locked to vodafone too. And was planning to give it to my son. Could you drop me an email too?

Message 10 of 30 (10,107 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Woody

Hi lewisj123,

I've just sent you an email. If you can reply to that for me, then a member of the team will be in touch as soon as possible.

Woody

eForum Team

Message 11 of 30 (10,068 Views)
phruitbat

Hi Guys,

I have a ipHone 3GS on Vodafone provided by my employer.  I have been made redundant but am allowed to keep the phone as part of the package.  I wish to unlock it so I can put my personnal (Three) simcard in.  I understand form this forum that I'll need the IMEI code; I've dialled *#06*  and pressed call and I just get "Call Failed".

I'm assuming that as a business customer it would have to be the acciount holder that steers this process and gets the IMEI; if so, guidance please so I can get the account holder to do it.

many thanks

Andrew

Message 12 of 30 (10,037 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hey phruitbat,

Thanks for your post regarding unlocking the iPhone that you obtained from your employer.

You'll need to ask your old employer to get in touch with us with the IMEI so we can request the handset to be unlocked. 

*#06# will only work if there's an active SIM in the device. Obtaining a free Pay as you Go SIM should do the trick.

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

Message 13 of 30 (10,001 Views)
benhudson

hi,

ive already asked this in a new post but will you unlock the iphone even though its still on a current vodafone contract? i am buying an iphone 4 on PAYG from you to replace it...

Message 14 of 30 (9,976 Views)
phruitbat

Lee wrote:

Hey phruitbat,

Thanks for your post regarding unlocking the iPhone that you obtained from your employer.

You'll need to ask your old employer to get in touch with us with the IMEI so we can request the handset to be unlocked. 

*#06# will only work if there's an active SIM in the device. Obtaining a free Pay as you Go SIM should do the trick.

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

Hi Lee,

There is an active SIM in the phone, it's working fine; it's only *#06* that comes up as 'Call Failed'.  The the phone is still on contract to my employer because I haven't finished yet.  I am trying to get it sorted during my notice period. 

Would they have to go through Business customer services to obtain the IMEI?  I'm half guessing this would be the case otherwise users could get hold of the IMEI and NUC, then tell their boss that they have 'lost' their phone to get a new one and sell on the old one.

Regards,

Andrew

Message 15 of 30 (9,957 Views)
phruitbat

BINGO!!!!

*#06# NOT *#06*

Got IMEI caode thanks.

Message 16 of 30 (9,946 Views)
natlou1988

Need a unlocking code for iphone 3gs - filled in the form but cant find the option for iphone, could you email me please.

Message 17 of 30 (9,865 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Dave

[ Edited ]

Hi natlou1988, welcome to the eForum!

I'll pop you an email so we can get your details and get this sorted for you. Just reply back with the details requested and we'll be happy to help!

Dave

eForum Team

Message 18 of 30 (9,833 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
gclydesdale

Hi

I would also like to get an unlock code for my iPhone 3gs as I am intending to sell it on and use another phone for the remainder of my contract as I have come to discover that the iPhone sucks on this network.  I have reported my issues with this phone on this network in another thread. All I want right now is a code so as someone may get good use of the phone on a network that can support its use.

Gaz

Message 19 of 30 (9,787 Views)
Rank 32: Scholar I
kids

There is no code for unlocking an iPhone.

You need to fill in the Unlock Request Form on this website and submit it, Vodafone ask Apple to unlock it as when Apple have completed it you plug the phone into iTunes with a non-Vodafone sim and you will get the message 'Congratulation your iPhone has been unlocked'.

The procedure usually takes 2-10 days so once you have submitted your request it is worth connection it to iTunes with the new sim every couple of days until you get the unlock message.

Message 20 of 30 (9,780 Views)