cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlocking my phone from overseas with no phone credit.

treekav
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello

I left the UK permanantly on the 14th of October and my phones contract ended on the 18th of October.  Since ending the service has completely stopped and I am unable to make or receive calls. 

This week, I made a request to unlock my phone online but have receieved a reply saying that we are unable to give you the code as you do not have sufficient credit. I tried to top up my phone online but it willl not let me do this (I'm guessing its because my phone is out of service.)

I rang Vodafone using the overseas number, but as I have insufficient credit on my phone I was not able to be put through.  I keep checking the live chat to see if anyone is available but it always seems to be busy. 

Has anyone out there been in a similar situation or has a solution?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

drey_p
16: Advanced member
Right, that explains it. I think there has been some confusion over the account as it is currently showing as PAYG which is why they are asking you to top up. When you complete the unlock request, make sure you provide the details of the old account. Also, try LiveChat as they should be able to help you resolve this issue. Only Vodafone UK can unlock the handset, Vodafone NZ won't be able to help.

PWIAC

View solution in original position

4 REPLIES 4

drey_p

Hi there

How long ago was the phone supplied on contract?  Was it more than a year ago?  If so, the unlocking is free.  The £19.99 charge is only applicable if the phone was supplied on contract less than a year ago or was bought on PAYG. I'm a bit confused by your posting as one minute it sounds like you were on a contract, and then next it sounds like you were on PAYG - please could you provide a bit more info so that you can be pointed in the right direction.

PWIAC

Hi

Thanks for your reply.  It was a 2 year contract starting in August 2012 and ended this year.  My intention was to move to PAYG once the contract ended but I was overseas when this happened and I haven't returned to the UK since.  Now that my phone is out of service I'm not sure how I'm supposed to switch to PAYG especially as I'm no longer in the UK. My intention is to talk to someone at Vodafone in New Zealand but I'm not sure if they can do anything for my unless my phone is still in service and un-locked.

Hopefully I'm making more sense, thanks for your help.

drey_p
Right, that explains it. I think there has been some confusion over the account as it is currently showing as PAYG which is why they are asking you to top up. When you complete the unlock request, make sure you provide the details of the old account. Also, try LiveChat as they should be able to help you resolve this issue. Only Vodafone UK can unlock the handset, Vodafone NZ won't be able to help.

PWIAC

Thank you, I will try this.  And hopefully I will get through to Live Chat eventually!

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks again.