Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Used 8gb of data in a month

Redrabbit
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Last week I got a message from Vodafone saying I've nearly used up all my data.  So I replied to the message which added 1gb to the account.

I checked my account as well and it said I had 1.5gb left to use so I was a bit confused.

Anyway, today I got another message saying I again had used all my data and was being charged £6.50 for an extra 250mb.  About 4 hours later I got another message saying I was being charged another £6.50 as I had again gone over my allowance.  It said "You've now been charged £13 extra".

What I have done

I have now shut off all my mobile applications.  I was also tracking the data they used just before this and it seemed there wasn't any apps that were running in the background.  

I regularly shut applications down as well.

Call to Vodafone

I called vodafone twice now and they've been useless.  They kept saying "It's a self-managed account... have you checked the website to track your data usage... have you got our application..."

All useless stuff as the application does not reflect my data usage.  It also doesn't help me avoid further charges.

They also said "4G uses more data".  

They didn't seem to understand that 8gb is a huge amount of data.  I work full time and have WiFi at home so don't understand how I'm using that amount.

Any ideas about why I'm using so much or things I can try to fix this?

Thanks everyone

2 REPLIES 2

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

What phone is it - it wouldn't be an iPhone by any chance?  If it is, you should be aware that they are very data hungry and chew through data at an alarming rate.  They can also be using up you mobile data even if you appear to be connected to WiFi at the time.  All it takes is the WiFi to drop for a split second and the handset will use mobile data instead. You can prevent this from happening by turning off mobile data whilst connecting to WiFi.

You need to work out what is using up the data, and the best way to do that is by downloading a data monitoring app onto your device. 

PWIAC

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion
hi

Look in Settings - Mobile/Cellular and look at the bottom apps which will show what app has used how much data. Although if you've not reset this the amounts will be not accurate but should give you an idea. Please reset these when your allowances reset.

In my opinion 4G does not use more data but because it's faster than 3G (well it's supposed to be) you are typically connected longer doing more etc hence using more data.

If you use FaceBook think about looking in its settings and disable the auto play of videos.

When the iPhone screen goes to sleep it has a habit of switching back to network data as a battery saving feature. So when I'm at home on wifi I turn off mobile data under Settings - mobile/cellular - mobile data. Just remember to turn it back on when out of wifi range.

You could have diagnostic run on the iPhone at a local Apple Store via a Genius Bar Appointment.

https://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.