You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
andwan

Vodafone BT Openzone hot spot problem

Hi

Am having trouble connecting to BT Openzone Vodafone's WIFI hot spot zones in and around London. Whenever I try to login via the Vodafone BT Openzone login screen (the red login page) and enter my username and password, I get the following error: "Sorry, we're experiencing problems with our WIFI service. Please try again".

Note that I have in the past being able to login to the BT Openzone through the Vodafone operator login page and had no issues. The above error have only recently occurred. I have tried resetting my network settings to no avail. The only thing that may have caused this is the iOS 4.1 update. Thats the only thing I can think of.

Anyone else having these issues with BT Openzone (Vodafone) or any solutions?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 11 (6,821 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
Swiss

Hi

Am having trouble connecting to BT Openzone Vodafone's WIFI hot spot zones in and around London. Whenever I try to login via the Vodafone BT Openzone login screen (the red login page) and enter my username and password, I get the following error: "Sorry, we're experiencing problems with our WIFI service. Please try again".

Note that I have in the past being able to login to the BT Openzone through the Vodafone operator login page and had no issues. The above error have only recently occurred. I have tried resetting my network settings to no avail. The only thing that may have caused this is the iOS 4.1 update. Thats the only thing I can think of.

Anyone else having these issues with BT Openzone (Vodafone) or any solutions?

Thanks.

Same problem here. Looks like the iOS 4.1 update is causing the problem. I couldn't connect to BT Openzone in Starbucks this morning or in my hotel this evening. Both times producing the same error. My iPad connects without any problems.

Swiss
Message 2 of 11 (6,821 Views)
andwan

Can someone from Vodafone offer a solution or explanation for this fault please...
Message 3 of 11 (6,821 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Dave

Hi guys,

We are aware that there was an issue which affected iPhone customers connecting to BT Openzone yesterday, and we believe this has now been resolved.

If you try again now but still cannot connect then please get back to us and we'll flag this up again.

DaveN

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 4 of 11 (6,821 Views)
danmudd

Re: Vodafone BT Openzone hot spot problem

BT FON HotspotsBT Openzone HotspotBT Openzone HotspotBT FON DensityBT Openzone Outdoor Coverage

Hi team,

When visiting the web site to search for hotspots in my area :

http://btopenzone.hotspot-directory.com/map_search.php?mc=56.74067,-4.10888&z=6

I am given the symbols above plus a few more, Using the free/included Wifi on the data plans/mobile phone plans which icon should I be looking out for in my area to be using ? I've noticed startbucks use the 3rd one and I can log onto this okay but which others would alolow me to use the inclusive data allocation ?

Cheers team

Dan

Message 5 of 11 (6,004 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

[ Edited ]

Hi dan,

You don't need to worry about this as you will need to look for any of the following symbols on the map;

BT Openzone HotspotBT Openzone HotspotBT Openzone Outdoor Coverage

However, you will mostly find the middle symbol as these are the BT Openzone hotspots that your price plan includes.

Please remember that it is only the BT Openzone hotspots that you will have free access to and not the BT Fon Hotspots.

If you have any comments regarding how I have responded to your query today, please complete our short feedback survey.

James

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 6 of 11 (5,982 Views)
Headshot_Harry

Apologies for dragging up an old forum post, however I just wanted to check a couple of things:

I've recently attempted to access BT Openzone's WiFi hotspots via both my iPad and iPhone (on a Vodafone Monthly Business contract). Sadly I was thwarted at the first attempt. Here in Tunbridge Wells, the local Starbucks has a BT Openzone hotspot, as per James's instructions above I checked the map online and using my iPhone's Vodafone App I noticed the Starbucks had the middle icon shown below: 

BT Openzone HotspotBT Openzone HotspotBT Openzone Outdoor Coverage

This however isn't correct, as I get this message when trying to join: "This is a BT Business hotspot and your mobile provider doesn't provide Wi-Fi access here" (note: the wireless access point is listed as "BT Openzone").

This is a bit misleading, as Vodafone say (on website and phone support) I should have access, even when I mentioned to them it is a "BT Business" hotspot this made no difference to the lady on the phone. There is no information obviously available as help on the Vodafone website that I can see, and the mobile app simply lists it as an accessible hotspot. I've spent about 2 hours on the phone about this on a couple of occasions where I've had my price plan re-jigged / enabled / disabled / re-enabled to try to sort it out wasting both my time and Vodafone Customer Services time. 

What is going on, can I access it or not? Is this a case of Vodafone shouting you've got access blah blah when in fact I've not really...?

Message 7 of 11 (4,817 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi Headshot_harry,

Many thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I have just done a search fro hotspots around my home and can see that I have in the passed connected to those with the middle signal however, I did notice that below the search map is a description of the local sites and some do indeed show as not BT Openzone hotspots but as Swisscom Hospitality Services and iBAHN which will not allow you to connect as they are company specific networks.

Please can you let me know your postcode so that I can check the local search results for you area.

James

Message 8 of 11 (4,749 Views)
Headshot_Harry

Hi James, thanks for the reply. Local post code is: TN1 2TU in Tunbridge Wells, Kent. The nearest hotspot is Starbucks (but as mentioned this is a "business" hotspot and therefore it seems I am unable to connect.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 11 (4,739 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hey Headshot_Harry,

Thanks for your post about BT Openzone at that Starbucks.

I've just emailed James and he'll be with you as soon as he can.

Cheers,

Lee

Message 10 of 11 (4,652 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi Headshot_Harry,

Thanks for the update here, I have taken a look at the map and can see that it is listed as a BT Openzone however to get a definitive answer on this one please can you also test this at the Heineken bar on Church Road to see if you get the same issue?

James 

Message 11 of 11 (4,593 Views)