cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone UK and Spain ...unlock required ????

PhilMilner
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have just purchased a secondhand iphone 4 locked to Vodafone UK (pay as you go). I want to use the iphone with with Vodafone Spain ( pay as you go).  Is an unlock required as the iphone will not work with the Spanish Vodafone sim ? If so, can Vodafone complete this unlock with Apple even though I am not the original owner of the iphone as I am the second user ?

9 REPLIES 9

63johnw
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion
Hi there, only the original owner can request an unlock, Vodafone can't do that, you will need to get in touch with the original owner and get them to submit the request.

Getafix
16: Advanced member

Simple answer is no. Only the original owner can request an Unlock, especially when it comes to Apple.

You can try by getting a UK PAYG SIM and then apply for Unlock. If they agree to do it then there might be a charge of £19.99. 

Thanks for the response...............it appears to be a no win situation.  I understand the fee structure with Vodafone. We wish to remain with Vodafone but they are unlikely to unlock so it would mean usind a third party to achieve it whcih seems crazy when we are attempoting to stay with them.

My apologies but perhaps someone could expand a little for me.........bear in mind I am in Spain and not the Uk. The iphone was purchased as locked to Vodafone Uk. Can any Vodaphone UK sim be used with the phone and I appreciate it may seem a little naive question to ask?

Getafix

You can only use Vodafone UK SIM card and it can be either PAYG or PAYM.

It will not accept any Non Vodafone UK and that is including any Non UK Vodafone SIM card.

Thanks for the response, as we thought. Given the circumstances then, is the best route to unlock via a 3rd party and is that straightforward ?

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)
You can get the phone unlocked by one of the many high street shops offering te service, but being an unofficial unlock (jailbreak) the next time you try to update the iOS it will relock the phone.

Probably much easier to sell the phone as locked to Vodafone UK and buy either an unlocked one or one locked to Vodafone Spain.

Okay.........fully understand what you are stating but I'm slightly confused as the online providers are stating that 'jailbreak' isn't used and once unlocked they are unlocked.  Will any Vodafone sim card allow the IOS to be updated to allow this unlock ?

Hi @PhilMilner 

The only advice we can give is the same as @63johnw gave earlier.

Thanks,

Ian