Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

found iphone need help returning it to owner

tscottmommy
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I found an iphone this morning on my way to the shop and would like help contacting the owner to get it returned. I'm sure they'd like it back. I know nothing about iphones, so I need a little help identifying the sim, etc. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So if anyone is following this or finds it looking for info on how to return a lost iphone, here is what I have learned:

1) the SIM card can be removed by pushing a paperclip (or pin) into a small hole on the end of the phone.

2) on the SIM carrier that slides out, you can locate serial and IMEI numbers

3) vodafone chat and phone service cannot necessarily locate the owner

4) take it to the nearest vodafone store OR

5) if you are on FB and involved in any local community pages (sales or otherwise), post a notice and be overwhelmed by the positive response to being a good samaritan AND

6) if you are as lucky as I was, someone will come forward who knows the person who lost the phone.

I was able to return it less than a block from my house. Some teenager (whose name I knew because someone called and asked for him) lost it. Dad was very relieved to see the phone and a bit surprised that some stranger was standing there holding it after being given their house number by one of their friends on FB. 

Phone returned :Smiling: Thanks for your help!!!!!

View solution in original position

12 REPLIES 12

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi tscottmommy,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I’m pleased to see that this is now resolved and the phone is back with it’s owner :Smiling:

Cheers,

Jenny

Hi guys! I'm having the same problem. Well, a similar one. 

So I've bought a second hand iphone online (in Portugal, which is where I live) and the guy told me everything was ok with it and that it worked pretty well. I bought it and as soon as I activated it, I saw that iCloud was asking for the owner's credentials. I spoke to the guy and he said he knew nothing about it so I started thinking it might've been stolen and called Apple in order to see if I could contact the original owner so that I would know if he willingly sold it or if someone stole it from him but they said they could do nothing to locate their clients, which I understand (to some extent). 

So, I know the phone is locked to Vodafone Uk so do you think Vodafone Uk can contact the person and tell them I have their phone? I really really don't want to have a stolen phone and I was hoping I could or Vodafone could contact the person. 

I tried the whole FB sharing thing but since I'm portuguese and this phone belongs to someone in the UK, people really didn't support "the cause".

Any good advice? Thanks!!

Hi JoanadaCosta,

We'll be unable to assist with this as we'd be breaking data protection laws.

My advice would be to report the phone information to a local police force. They may have a report on the stolen phone and could help provide any details.

Thanks,

Matt B