Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

found iphone need help returning it to owner

tscottmommy
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I found an iphone this morning on my way to the shop and would like help contacting the owner to get it returned. I'm sure they'd like it back. I know nothing about iphones, so I need a little help identifying the sim, etc. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So if anyone is following this or finds it looking for info on how to return a lost iphone, here is what I have learned:

1) the SIM card can be removed by pushing a paperclip (or pin) into a small hole on the end of the phone.

2) on the SIM carrier that slides out, you can locate serial and IMEI numbers

3) vodafone chat and phone service cannot necessarily locate the owner

4) take it to the nearest vodafone store OR

5) if you are on FB and involved in any local community pages (sales or otherwise), post a notice and be overwhelmed by the positive response to being a good samaritan AND

6) if you are as lucky as I was, someone will come forward who knows the person who lost the phone.

I was able to return it less than a block from my house. Some teenager (whose name I knew because someone called and asked for him) lost it. Dad was very relieved to see the phone and a bit surprised that some stranger was standing there holding it after being given their house number by one of their friends on FB. 

Phone returned :Smiling: Thanks for your help!!!!!

View solution in original position

12 REPLIES 12

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

I would suggest taking it to a police station. They are the best people to deal with this sort of thing.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thanks, jeffkin. Nearest police station is 30 minutes or better away from this little village and I'm stuck home with a very poorly 6 year old (double ear infection, bronchitis and a tummy flu all at once, poor thing!). I saw on another thread that Vodafone was able to help contact the owner of another found phone, though the poster knew the SIM and IMEI (?) code in that instance. I don't know how to find those things. I'm hoping a vodafone employee or admin can help under the circumstances. 

jeffkinn

Oh dear poor little mite - and poor you as well. I hope you are well stocked up on Calpol.

If you turn the phone on, does it require an unlock code to get it started? If not, find the phone icon and dial *#06# and the phone should display the IMEI number. That is all Vodafone should need to be able to trave the owner unless it is a PAYG phone.

Don't post the IMEI number here - one of the eforum team will be along soon to discuss this with you privately.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thanks, jeffkin! It does have a lock code 😕 Hopefully someone can assist. There has to be some way to identify the thing! It's such a tiny little village, it is likely one of my new (just moved house) neighbours or one of the school aged kids walking to the coach this morning. Still, didn't want it sitting out in the weather getting ruined, either. I'll stand by for an admin or someone :Smiling: I'm not doing much besides emptying puke buckets and administering albuterol breathing treatments today. Plenty of opportunity to solve this mystery.

jeffkinn

There is no way to circumvent the lock code without wiping the phone and setting it up as a new phone in iTunes. Unlike most other phones, you cannot take the back off and see a label inside the phone.

One of the eforum team or someone else in the community might have a better idea.

Sounds like a phone call to the school office or the local village shop might be a good idea.

Good luck with the puke - try not to catch it yourself

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

You should be able to find the SIM number by inserting a paperclip in the hole next to the SIM holder to eject it.

If it is a VF sim card, then they should be able to find the owner info if it is still active (or put the sim into another handset and do *#100# to get the phone number from it)

jeffkinn

Why didn't I think of that!! Doh!!

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

totorV: 

Thank you so much! I pulled the SIM and photocopied it. Do I call Vodafone, or is there an employee on this forum that can help? I don't know if it's okay to post the SIM on here.

So if anyone is following this or finds it looking for info on how to return a lost iphone, here is what I have learned:

1) the SIM card can be removed by pushing a paperclip (or pin) into a small hole on the end of the phone.

2) on the SIM carrier that slides out, you can locate serial and IMEI numbers

3) vodafone chat and phone service cannot necessarily locate the owner

4) take it to the nearest vodafone store OR

5) if you are on FB and involved in any local community pages (sales or otherwise), post a notice and be overwhelmed by the positive response to being a good samaritan AND

6) if you are as lucky as I was, someone will come forward who knows the person who lost the phone.

I was able to return it less than a block from my house. Some teenager (whose name I knew because someone called and asked for him) lost it. Dad was very relieved to see the phone and a bit surprised that some stranger was standing there holding it after being given their house number by one of their friends on FB. 

Phone returned :Smiling: Thanks for your help!!!!!