Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPad Not Connecting

jalford
4: Newbie

I have an iPad 4 and it is rare for it to get a connection to Vodafone.

I am sitting at home and have good 3G coverage on my iPhone but the iPad just shows "Searching..." and does not go to a "No Service" message.

It has been like this as long as I have had the device.

I reported this via Twitter previously and was advised to go to a store for a replcement SIM but this has made no difference.

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

Happens in most locations.  Cannot identify a location where it works as expected.

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the eForum, add it to your profile here.

Postcode on profile.

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

No device to swap with but replacemnt SIM obtained from store and no difference.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

Device shows "Searching..."

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

All.  Device does not allow me to change settings.  There is a 4G option enabled (I don't believe this device works on Vodafone 4G) which I am unable to disable.

6) When did you first notice this issue?

Since I had the device (May 2013).

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Intermittent as I have seen it connect sometimes.

9 REPLIES 9

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi jalford,

There aren't any issues showing in the postcode you've given.

As you've had a new SIM, there maybe an issue with your iPad.

We'll need to arrange a repair for you.

You can find how to arrange this here.

Thanks,

Ian

jalford
4: Newbie
I agree. When I originally reported the issue I explained it was seen in areas other devices were working and when it did work it was intermittent. I believe this ruled out both the network and the SIM.

My concern now is that if it take it to a Vodafone store I will be referred to Apple (this happened with my Wife) and they will see that it is now out of warranty. It was within the warranty when I reported the issue to Vodafone.

Hi jalford,

If the device is out of warranty there'd be a charge to replace it.

You can still arrange the repair in one of our stores though. Apple have discretion to replace the iPad in their own stores, something we don't have the option of doing, so it may be worth visiting one if you can.

Thanks,

Matt B

It was under warranty when I originally reported the issue so I trust this won't be an issue.

I'm looking in Settings - About and the field Cellular Data Number shows Unknown. Shouldn't this show the number on the account for this device? Could it be that there is an issue with the sim I have been given or on my account?

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi jalford,

I’ve just checked on a colleagues iPad and this also shows ‘unknown’, so that won’t be what’s causing the issue.

Thanks,

Jenny

Still having issues and haven't been able to use Vodafone on this device for many months.

I have been using on wifi only but this week I had to upgrade iOS as some apps required it.  I am now unable to use the iPad as it needs activation and this fails on both wifi and connected to a PC with iTunes.  I have tried a reset and DFU but this has made no difference.

I called customer servers at 11:20 yesterday morning and received a message that I would be called back in 4 minutes but this call never came.

I later went into an Apple Store and they tried with a known good SIM, performed DFU, plugged into a diagnostic device but still no good.  They cannot activate as it needs to see the mobile connection but it continues to show only "searching" even when the SIM is removed.  They told me that it appears to be a hardware fault with the SIM module.  This would explain why I have had issues from the beginning which got worse until it failed completely.

I went to the Vodafone store but they were not interested and told me I should call Vodafone customer services again and stay on the line until I spoke to someone.

I called customer services again in the late afternoon and I was told they could see the SIM trying to connect and that this was a software issue that could be resolved.  I was told I would need to call back when I was in front on a PC so someone could take control and resolve.  I explained that the DFU process had been performed and that Apple had tested and reported it as a hardware issue but still I was told I needed to go through this process.

It was suggested that I could upgrade as I at the end of my contract but I explained that I was reluctant to begin a new contract when I have been paying for this one that I had not been able to use.

I called again last night and was on hold for over 30 minutes.  When I got to speak to someone they told me that 2nd line support had already finished.

The person I was speaking with promised me that they would personnally call me back at 12:30 today but this call is now more than an hour overdue.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @jalford

If you send the device for a repair, our engineers can refer to your account notes from when you initially reported the fault.

If they then find that it is indeed a hardware issue, we can then look at an out of warranty repair.

Thanks,

Ben