You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
iroth8

iPhone 4 - Real coverage in Newcastle

Hi
Ive checked the Vodafone, Orange and O2 coverage for the Newcastle area. They are all good. But can I have answers from people living in this area with IPhone 4's , what the reception is like and internet speeds?

thanks in advance

iroth8
thanks
iroth8
Message 1 of 10 (2,942 Views)
Rank 23: Tutor II
Myrm

Hi

It might be an idea to state what areas of Newcastle you are particularly interested in as Newcastle is a big place and there will be many different areas of signal strength.
Myrm
----------
DERMY BUD
Message 2 of 10 (2,942 Views)
iroth8

Myrm

Around Gosforth and up to Prudhoe plus Gateshead town centre...........
thanks
iroth8
Message 3 of 10 (2,942 Views)
AlrightLike

Myrm

Around Gosforth and up to Prudhoe plus Gateshead town centre...........

I was in Birtley (8 miles South of Gateshead) last week, the internet reception was not good, lots of timeouts. Actual phone talking was fine though.

Bit of a mixed bag I'm afraid...
Message 4 of 10 (2,942 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Martin

Hi iroth8

Fantastic news that you are thinking of getting an iPhone.

Other than the coverage checker I can't help much here.

If any of our fantastic members who can give there opinion that would be brilliant :D

Martin
eForum Team
Message 5 of 10 (2,942 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
tankie_sean

am traveling up A1 next week and going to metro center etc so will give you updates.

Typical i get back from Afghan and first thing wife wants to do is go shopping lol so your in luck lol

Tabkie_Sean
I maybe serving in a hot and sandy place but my heart is firmly sat in ENGLAND!
Message 6 of 10 (2,942 Views)
GordonUK

Hi iroth8.

I live in Newcastle and have found Vodafone's 3G signal OK. Speeds vary greatly depending on where your are. I have found that 3G speeds on Northumberland street to be pretty poor. Don't know if that is due to congestion or not but I would expect them to be better in the city centre. Gateshead signal is also ok but once you leave Newcastle/Gateshead then the 3G signal is pretty patchy. 2G signal however is very good and I don't think I has every lost a signal.

I had an iPhone 3G with O2 for two years before I switched to Vodafone and the reason I changed was because of O2's poor 3G signal and very poor speeds. Although I think Vodafone has a better signal I do not think it is by much. However, Vodafone do have a much superior 2G signal and I can stills get push emails very quickly via GPRS.

My son has my old iPhone 3G on Three, my partner has an iPhone 3GS on O2 and I have an iPhone 4 on Vodafone. I use a sure signal box at home which is great as it greatly prolongs my battery life. Vodafone probably has a slight edge on the other 2 networks for 3G but is superior for 2G.

Hope this helps

G
MacBook Pro - iPad - iPhone - Apple TV - iPod Touch
Message 7 of 10 (2,942 Views)
iroth8

Thanks for the information. It helps a lot.

Tankie_Sean ......

Yeah that would be good. You could do some testing for me with the signal while your wife's in the Metro centre shops. I mean you don't want to follow her in there... do you? And you take care in Afghan.....

GordonUK

I to still have the 3G on O2. I want to move networks. Either Vodafone of Orange because of the O2 coverage. I have done some testing with PAYG simm cards and have found that Orange tend to have a better 3G coverage but Vodafone has a faster download speed.

That testing is with my unlocked 3G. But I was wondering if the IPhone 4 got a better signal.

thanks
iroth8
Message 8 of 10 (2,942 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
James040595

I live in Newcastle and like GordonUK said, speeds do vary greatly, and I've also found especially that around the city centre (Northumberland Street, Eldon Square, Haymarket), the signal is quite poor. However, the further away from there you arem the better the signal.

I live in North Shields, a small town just outside of Newcastle (but I travel across the local area most days), and my 3G reception is brilliant. North shields is around 7 miles outside of the city centre.

Hope this helps,

James
Message 9 of 10 (2,942 Views)
iroth8

Thanks James

I know North Shields well... I have gone out and got my IPhone 4 today...... Well worth it so far... Thanks for your help and comments
thanks
iroth8
Message 10 of 10 (2,942 Views)