You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest

iPhone 4, iOS5 no 3g network

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure when these problems started, as I'm usually on wifi, but I know at least that I've had this issue since I upgraded to iOS5 on the 12th this month.

Whenever I'm on 3G, I can't access the internet. I get the "Could not activate cellular data network. You are not subscribed to a cellular data service" message. I'm on Pay-as-you-go and I just added a £20 freedom freebee, so that is not the problem.

My cellular data network settings are currently:

APN: wap.vodafone.co.uk

Username: wap

Password: wap

which as far as I can tell is correct. I've also tried to completely restart my phone a couple of times to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Message 1 of 21 (9,294 Views)

Re: iPhone 4, iOS5 no 3g network

Hi. I've got exactly the same problem on PAYG and can't solve it. WiFi works fine but can't get any data over 3G. Awaiting response from Vodafone but no joy so far. I expect they will say it is an Apple  problem. I've asked for the network settings again. Please let me konw if you solve it.

Message 2 of 21 (9,265 Views)

Hi again. I think I've solved it!! Been looking at past settings for internet on iPhone with Vodafone PAYG and they should be :

Data

APN pp.vodafone.co.uk

Username: web

Password: web

MMS

APN pp.vodafone.co.uk

Username: web

Password: web

MMSC http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms

MMS PROXY: 212.183.137.012:8799

Go to Settings, General, Network, Mobile Data Network and then put in the above settings. Both my email and web browsing work fine on 3G.

Hope that's been of help.

Message 3 of 21 (9,242 Views)

Worked for me too! Thanks!

Weird that that would suddenly change though.

Message 4 of 21 (9,236 Views)

Hi there- I have this very problem but the advice above has not worked for me. I am on PAYG are the setting different depending on when you got your phone? Can anyone help?

thx

Message 5 of 21 (8,742 Views)

Hi there. Whilst the above worked for me, on PAYG, the solution which Vodafone eventually sent to me was this:

WAP
a) From the main menu, select “Settings” then “General” then “Network”
b) Select “Cellular Data Network”
c) For APN, enter pp.vodafone.co.uk
d) For username, enter wap
e) For password, enter wap
f) Go back to the home screen, then switch the device off and then on again.

MMS
b) Select “MMS”
c) For APN, enter pp.vodafone.co.uk
f) For MMSC, enter http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms
g) For MMS proxy, enter 212.183.137.012
h) Ensure that other settings are left blank
i) Go back to the home screen, then switch the device off and then on again

This is similar to what I originally had except for the APN being wap. vodafone.co.uk! I've kept with the one I mentioned in my previous post. Anyway. I hope this is of some help.

Regards

Message 6 of 21 (8,716 Views)

You are a legend thanks!!

Message 7 of 21 (8,704 Views)

I've only just developed this problem and have followed the advice however to no avail, I'm a pay monthly customer.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Message 8 of 21 (4,638 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi donone46,

Thanks for your post here.

As you are a pay monthly customer the settings will be slightly different for you, so we can eliminate a settings issue please can you try the following settings for me;

WAP
b) Select “Cellular Data Network”
c) For APN, enter wap.vodafone.co.uk
f) Go back to the home screen, then switch the device off and then on again.

MMS
b) Select “MMS”
c) For APN, enter wap.vodafone.co.uk
f) For MMSC, enter http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms
g) For MMS proxy, enter 212.183.137.012
h) Ensure that other settings are left blank
i) Go back to the home screen, then switch the device off and then on again

Give this a go and let me know how you get on.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 9 of 21 (4,615 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster

Hello,

I am having the same problem with my 3g network on my Iphone 4 , I have looked at all the advice above and all my settings match that and it still does not work , can someone give me any reason as to why it still does not work.

I am a pay monthly customer.

DAiPhone4

Message 10 of 21 (4,572 Views)

Just to update you I have had no 3g network since March 2012 , please can someone help me.

DAiPhone4

Message 11 of 21 (4,564 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi DAiPhone4,

Please can you confirm the following;

1). Does the issue happen in just one location. If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service ?

2). What is the full postcode of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the forum, add it to your profile here.

3). Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

4). Are there any issues in your area already reported on the Faults Board?

5). Does this issue happen on 2G, 3G or both? To check, go to the Help Centre, select your phone and then select "network".

6). What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

7) When did you first notice this issue?

8) Is the issue permanent or intermittent (If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs)?

Also can you confirm that 3G is showing as activated in your settings?

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 12 of 21 (4,531 Views)

Hi James ,

3G is Enable in Settings , as it has not worked since March 2012 , don't know why.

The areas I am mainly in is Southend , Hullbridge , Hockley. I also go away a lot at weekends in different areas and 3g still does not work.

My phone sometimes shows no signal as well with the 2g network , but working fine at the moment.

If you would be able to help me I would be really greatful.

DAiPhone4

Message 13 of 21 (4,513 Views)

[ Edited ]

Just to update 3g just retuned for the first time , but signal is very low only on 1 bar can u help me on this please ?

But could you still look in to why I did not have 3g network sinice March 2012 and it has only just come back

Can someone please look into this for me.

Thank you

DAiPhone4

Message 14 of 21 (4,331 Views)

now I have lost 3g network again can someone please get back to please , because I am starting to get fed up now

Message 15 of 21 (4,319 Views)
Tech Team

Hi DaiPhone4

Thanks for your post here. I’m sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with your 3G connection.

So that we can investigate this for you please can you have a read over our Network Issues thread and post back with the details that it asks for? This can be found here.

Thanks

Wayne

Message 16 of 21 (4,271 Views)

Hello ,

I have already done this, I go to lot of different areas and can't get 3g in any of them.

I am mainly round Southend , Hockley , Rayleigh and Hullbridge but I do go away of the weekends my phone is working find and I have just had a new sim card.

I have had this problem for a few months now I have friends that are on vodafone and there phones work find with the 3g.

I can't get a new phone till June 2013 as I upgrade early on my last contact.

I would be so greatful if you could help me

DAiPhone4

Message 17 of 21 (4,267 Views)

Hello ,

Right I am getting very fed up with Vodafone now , I have had no 3G Network since March 2012 , I am paying £41:00 pound a month for a iPhone4 and I am not getting the service that I paided for.

I am now wanting a refund on my account for the past few months where I have not had full service.

And I will be leaving Vodafone at the end of my contact next year , because I have not had any help with this and as I have said in my posts before I have done everything that it saids on your website.

I would be greatful if someone could tell me why I am not getting any 3G network because I have been with vodafone almost 3 and half years. and as off the end of my contact I will not be taking out a upgrade

DAiPhone4

Message 18 of 21 (4,242 Views)
Rank 48: Master II

It has to be phone. I've not had any general problem in Sarfend (other than the seafront) with my old iPhone or current S3. The Rayleigh Weir roundabout is a Vodafone black hole.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 19 of 21 (4,238 Views)

How can it be Phone when I am in Hockley right now and I still have no 3g and my 2g is on 5 bars if it was the phone my 2g would not be working.

So that is no go and I just check the network coverge for Rayleigh and it is working fine my friend is in rayleigh and on vodafone and they have signal.

So I would like a answer please

Message 20 of 21 (4,235 Views)
iPhone 6

iPhone 6

Bigger than bigger