Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone 4s unlocking - been waiting over a month and have heard nothing

MattDavis
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Dear Vodafone,

Having both sold my iPhone 4s and filled in your unlocking form on 23rd September 2014, I'm still yet to receive an unlocking code. Every day the person who purchased my phone has hooked it up to iTunes and it always says it's locked. I've received no communitcations on the matter, but the Vodafone customer services rep I spoke to a couple of weeks ago confirmed that my unlocking form has been received, so please can someone let me know what's going on here? Looking through the community posts, this sounds like it's the longest anyone's had to wait to receive their code - this honestly isn't good enough.

Thanks,

Matt

4 REPLIES 4

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

If you are waiting for an unlocking code for an iPhone, you are going to be waiting a very long time indeed.  There is no such thing as an unlocking code for an iPhone.  As you are aware, an iPhone is unlocked via iTunes.  It has to be connected to iTunes with a non Vodafone SIM card in it to complete the unlocking.

Now, when Vodafone receive your request, they have to pass it onto Apple to action, so without a bit more investigation it is quite hard to determine whether the issue lies with Vodafone or Apple.  It is possible that Vodafone have processed the request and are waiting for Apple to do what needs to be done...

One of the Team will be along in about 24 - 48 hours or so to look into this issue for you. 

PWIAC

Hey Dre,

Thanks for your response. I guess I misread something somewhere about the code, or was just being a massive thicko, but either way, I'm pretty sure that Apple are supposed to inform me when the phone is ready to be unlocked via iTunes. Even if they don't inform me (which sounds like the norm) then we have been trying to connect it to iTunes twice a day, with no joy so far.

Having contacted Apple, their customer service rep said they have no record of this submission being made (I've completed the online form four times now, at various intervals) but Vodafone certainly do have a record as their customer service rep confirmed that they had received it. So it looks like the problem is very much at Vodafone's end. 

Calling 191 and selecting your way to the phone unlocking section gives you a total dead end - words to the extent of "Visit the website. Goodbye." And the website suggests posting here. So, as you mentioned, hopefully someone from Vodafone is able to pick this up. If nothing else, perhaps this chain will eventually provide some info to other users who are experiencing a similarly long wait. 

For the record, I have had the phone for two years on a pay monthly contract.

Thanks again,

Matt

Phil
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi @MattDavis 

As you've been waiting so long for the iPhone to be unlocked, we'll take a look into it for you. 

Contact us here and we'll see if there's an update to provide. 

Thanks, 

Phil

froggerty

Why don't you take the phone to your local independent phone doctor or PC doctor, he will most likeley  be able to unlock it in under 20 minutes for you for under £20, if he can't unlock it for any reason at least you've tried another option.