cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone - Divert to Voicemail without ringing full reception.

lee781
4: Newbie

Just wondering if anyone on VF has had this problem with their iPhone.

The phone has full 3g reception and diverts calls to voicemail without ringing, then later on sometimes a few minutes sometimes hours it'll send a missed call alert through. People call me and say its sent them to voicemail several times before.

I'm not on VF currently but have read this happens on a couple of networks - after speaking with mine they kinda admited the mast near me is overcapacity but wondering if there's stuff i can do to get round it. They suggested putting it on 2g (but this will aggrevate it as if the phones using any data on 2/2.5g the phone will always divert to voicemail on any of the UK networks. 

Any ideas - also anyone have this happen on VF?

7 REPLIES 7

Retired-Trev
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi lee781

How strange :smileyindifferent:

This certainly isn't an issue I'm aware of, and there's not any additional posts advising of the same problem, or any additional posts here, as yet. I too have an iPhone 4 and have never come across this problem. I suppose it's possible to have to leave a voicemail if a site is congested, but this would be for any handset using that site, nothing specific to an iPhone.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else have suffered from this issue too?

Regards

Trev

eForum Team

Hi Trev

Can you or any of the VF mods give me the technical info on why its possible.

I know it sounds like a daft question - in laymens terms the mast  obviously can't cope with the stuff its dealing with so any new stuff goes to voicemail?

I'm trying to narrow down when it happens but its random and has been going on for a while that ive known about and probably a bit before.

I've ready alot about it happening on two networks inparticular.

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi lee781

Thanks for your post here.

To be honest you've got it spot on there. If the mast is congested the call will be rejected and re routed to Voicemail.

However, this is very rare and would most likely only happen at certain points during the day (Busy periods) and in one location only.

In every phone your SIM card is in constant communication with then network, letting the network know where it is (What site its attached to) and what status it is in (On, Off, on a call etc). Sometimes the phone can stop communicating with the network efficiently and will need updating. To do this you would need to perform a manual roam (Which is manually selecting the network)

Settings

Carrier

Then select a network other than your own

Then back again.

This forces the phone to communicate with the network and gets your phone and network talking again.

Give this a try and hopefully that will at least help with the situation.

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

DavidGraham
1: Seeker

Hi all,

I am having the same problem and have been for sometime now. So was the answer form the tech team to just put up with it, as it is high volume? surely we need a bigger capacity if the capacity is over so often???

:Sad_face: 

My iphone 5 iintermittently diverts to voicemail without the device ringing and not registering a missed call. This does not seam to be a signal issue as I had a full signal on the most recent incident. I have reset the phone diverts and this does not seam to have sorted the problem. 

Hi DavidGraham,

First of all please ensure that Do Not Disturb is switched off in your phone settings.

If it's off, please follow the steps below:

• Dial ##002# into your phone, you'll receive an onscreen notification stating call forwarding has been removed.
  • Call 1210 - you'll hear a recorded message advising your voicemail has been switched off.
  • Finally, call 1211 to switch your voicemail service back on

After this monitor the incoming calls over the next 24 hours and let us know if you continue to have the issue.

Another place to check is our Network Status Checker, as the problem could be a result of a network fault, which will be shown on the checker.

Thanks,

Matt B

emirb351
4: Newbie
Hi all,

I know it sounds daft but for the foke that are having issues go into your settings, then phone & then go into blocked numbers & see if there is anything there. My mate had this issue & it turns out a number was in the blocked list & had no idea how it got there.

This post is more for the OP. This issue might just be a network issue but worth a try.