You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
grahamchiswick

iPhone battery drains fast, but only on Vodafone without 3G

Hi.  I have an ordinary, standard, iPhone 3. I have noticed for some time now (6 months at least) that the battery drains fast, that is I need to recharge every day, but ONLY if 3G is DISABLED. 

If 3G is Enabled (when I top up and get free 3G) then the battery lasts for several days.

Also, if I am abroad, and the phone is connected to some other network, then again, the battery lasts for several days, even though 3G is disabled.

So, what is it about Vodafone in the UK which makes my iPhone use up battery power?

Thoughts welcome!

by the way, it runs IOS version 4.2.1

thanks

Message 1 of 3 (2,553 Views)
Rank 7: Helper I
dontommo

Re: iPhone battery drains fast, but only on Vodafone without 3G

That is strange,mix anything yu would expect it to be the other way around.

Does the same problem occur with a different sim or sim from another rnetwork?

Have check to see if you pr wifi is turned off, because just thinking if your 3G is disabled but wifi is left on it will constantly be scanning for wireless networks and will drain your battery quicker.

Have you tried a full phone reset?

Have you booked a genius appointment with apple to rule out a faulty phone?

What sort of things have you tried to try and resolve the problem?

Message 2 of 3 (2,498 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
grahamchiswick

Re: iPhone battery drains fast, but only on Vodafone without 3G

thanks for replying dontommo.

>Does the same problem occur with a different sim or sim from another network?

the iPhone used to be on O2 and did not suffer the problem.

Have check to see if you pr wifi is turned off, because just thinking if your 3G is disabled but wifi is left on it will constantly be scanning for wireless networks and will drain your battery quicker.

>wifi is left on, but surely it is scanning for wireless networks whether 3G is on or off?  However I have tried it with wifi off, and it still loses charge quickly.

>Have you tried a full phone reset?

yes!

>Have you booked a genius appointment with apple to rule out a faulty phone?

well the phone is a few years old now, and would they be interested, or competent, to tackle this problem? Anyway, given the phone is "happy" when abroad, I think the problem lies more with vodafone than the iPhone itself.

>What sort of things have you tried to try and resolve the problem?

Removing any suspect apps, ensuring nothing is "pushing", switching off Location Services, rebooting and never touching Mail...

Somehow the iPhone is simply "unhappy" when without a 3G connection. I wonder if deeply-buried comms settings within the iPhone might be inappropriately set up for Vodafone, and could be reset somehow?

regards, G.

Message 3 of 3 (2,419 Views)