Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iphone 4s unlocking

lancashirescott
1: Seeker

Hi,

I am looking to buy a used iPhone 4s, the one I have seen is currently locked to Vodafone, the vendor is not the owner per se just a seller.

I have limited knowledge on how this all works but from what I can gather there is a bit of confusion as to how I can go about unlocking this phone if I buy it, I know you can go to the Vodafone web page and request a phone to be unlocked (NUC?).

I am a monthly paying Vodafone customer without a present tying contract, which way would be best to proceed to unlock this phone if I can?

Should I request the unlock through a PAYG or would it be better through a monthly?

I ask this because I rung Vodafone this morning and the guy told me that only the original owner could request the phone to be unlocked, is this correct, if so seeing as I don't know the registered owner is there any way I can register as the new owner then unlock.

Any help advice would be much appreciated

Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
In a word no. You won't be able to get it unlocked under any circumstances. Don't buy it if it isn't already unlocked. Only the original owner can request the unlock. Vodafone won't unlock it for anyone else ever under any circumstances.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View solution in original position

17 REPLIES 17

jeffkinn
In a word no. You won't be able to get it unlocked under any circumstances. Don't buy it if it isn't already unlocked. Only the original owner can request the unlock. Vodafone won't unlock it for anyone else ever under any circumstances.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Ah ok thanks, that solves that then......

Hi what details of the owner do apple require to unlock iphone as im looking to get my iphone unlocked ??

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

You'll need to complete the NUC request webform with various bits of information such as name, email address etc.  If the phone was supplied on contract less than a year ago, there will be a charge of £19.99 to get it unlocked but it is free if you've had it more than a year. 

You'll find full details of the unlocking process here, including a link to the NUC Request form.  Please be aware that it does take a little while for an iPhone to be unlocked.  7 - 10 working days is the normal turn around time.

PWIAC

sparkytiger79
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, after scouring the site and internet for assistance, I need some help from either Vodafone or other site members.  Have attempted to contact an actual person in Vodafone, but all automated and staff in Vodafone stores do not want to know.

My friend recently upgraded from his iphone 4S to the latest model.  He has finished the contract on the 4S and has kindly passed me the handset for my son.  We want to unlock the handset from Vodafone in order to continue with the plan we have elsewhere. The online unlocking form is of no use to us as we are not a customer, and the friend who's handset it was is obviously continuing to use their mobile number.

How do we get this handset unlocked without going elsewhere.  The device has effectively been paid off, so I don't believe we should be charged for unlocking a device that no longers belongs to Vodafone.

Can someone assist us sensibly?

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

Your friend needs to fill in the unlock form that you found.

Using the details that would have been correct when he was using the phone, this will then pass the ownership checks vodafone need to do before asking apple to unlock it.

Filling in the form won't do anything to your friends account, the info is just required to make sure it's their handset.

There will not be a charge if it is a contract phone and more than 12 months have passed since it was issued.

The whole process usualy takes around 2 weeks once the form has been submitted, and you then connect the handset to iTunes with the other sim inserted to unlock it.

Hi, after scouring the site and internet for assistance, I need some help from either Vodafone or other site members.  Have attempted to contact an actual person in Vodafone, but all automated and staff in Vodafone stores do not want to know.

My friend recently upgraded from his iphone 4S to the latest model.  He has finished the contract on the 4S and has kindly passed me the handset for my son.  We want to unlock the handset from Vodafone in order to continue with the plan we have elsewhere. The online unlocking form is of no use to us as we are not a customer, and the friend who's handset it was is obviously continuing to use their mobile number.

How do we get this handset unlocked without going elsewhere.  The device has effectively been paid off, so I don't believe we should be charged for unlocking a device that no longers belongs to Vodafone.

Can someone assist us sensibly?

shinwar

hi sprky 

the easiest way for this to happen is to get your friend to request it 

because they are still using the same number they got the phone with they wont get charged

have them fill out the form and add in your email address as the contact 

thansk

grolschuk

Hi,

I also answered your same question from an hour ago here http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/iPhone-4s-and-earlier/iphone-4s-unlocking/m-p/2129909#M50059

It would help if you don't post the same thing in multiple places as it adds confusion to multiple people helping in multiple places :Smiling: