Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iphone 4s unlocking

lancashirescott
1: Seeker

Hi,

I am looking to buy a used iPhone 4s, the one I have seen is currently locked to Vodafone, the vendor is not the owner per se just a seller.

I have limited knowledge on how this all works but from what I can gather there is a bit of confusion as to how I can go about unlocking this phone if I buy it, I know you can go to the Vodafone web page and request a phone to be unlocked (NUC?).

I am a monthly paying Vodafone customer without a present tying contract, which way would be best to proceed to unlock this phone if I can?

Should I request the unlock through a PAYG or would it be better through a monthly?

I ask this because I rung Vodafone this morning and the guy told me that only the original owner could request the phone to be unlocked, is this correct, if so seeing as I don't know the registered owner is there any way I can register as the new owner then unlock.

Any help advice would be much appreciated

Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion
In a word no. You won't be able to get it unlocked under any circumstances. Don't buy it if it isn't already unlocked. Only the original owner can request the unlock. Vodafone won't unlock it for anyone else ever under any circumstances.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View solution in original position

17 REPLIES 17

Hi, I already had posted in a thread - but nobody bothered assisting, hence the new post started!

drey_p
16: Advanced member

@sparkytiger79 wrote:

Hi, I already had posted in a thread - but nobody bothered assisting, hence the new post started!

You may not get an instant reply to your post - this is a forum and not a LiveChat service.  Also, I would like to point out that Grolschuk did reply to your post about 4 minutes after you originally posted so I am not sure where you got the idea that no one had bothered to reply!

PWIAC

Hello,

I´ve bought an iPhone 4S  in England and I found out that it´s unlocked.
I don´t know the original owner, I live in Germany and use a Vodafone SIM-Card from Germany.
I contacted Vodafone in Germany and they told me that I must contact Vodafone UK, because it is locked with Vodafone UK.
I tried to unlock it with iTunes, but it didn´t work.

Please can you help me to unlock my iPhone, so that I can use it with a SIM-Card from Vodafone Germany.

Thank you for helping me.

drey_p
Hi there

The bottom line is that if the phone was supplied on contract, no one but the original owner can get the device unlocked. If you can't contact the original owner, there is no official way of getting it unlocked.

PWIAC

Mugabe123
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi All,

I am really frustrated as this has taken me a few hours to get NOWHERE so hopefullu I will get somewhere NOW.  I am a business account holder with Vodafone and I would like to unlock my iphone so that I can use it abroad as I will be abroad for 2 years or so on a new business venture.  I am still paying for my contract and am happy to do so.  I have watched the vodfone video about unlocking and every time I click to request the form, nothing happens...please could somone in support PLEASE email me a form so that I can get on with business.  Regards

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Mugabe123,

Depending on the type of business account you have with us, the NUC form may not work.

So that we can look into this further, take a look here for how to get in touch.

We aim to reply to emails within 48 hours. If you need a quicker response, please visit our Contact Us page.

Cheers,

Ben

StevenCleveland
1: Seeker

Hi

I have a bit of iphone 4s unlocking issue that I wonder if someone can either help with or confirm I'm doing the right or wrong thing. 

I've been on holiday and had planned to replace my vodafone locked iphone 4s with an iphone 6 on my return. 

During the holiday I dropped the phone shattering the screen.  Given its poor battery life, the broken screen and the fact I was due to replace it anyway, I decided to donate it to a good cause abroad but obviously as its locked this creates difficulty.  I've removed the SIM and wiped the phone.

I've filled in the unlocking form and await vodafones reply however, do they send me the code or is it to the iphone (which is now abroad with its new owner)

Does the iphone require my SIM in when any notification comes through or just any SIM ?

Does the phone (when its unlocked) need to connect to my itunes or the new owners ?

Sorry for all the questions, but it means a lot to me that the new owner can use the phone. 

Many Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

iPhones need to be plugged into iTunes once the unlocking has been completed.

Providing it then has a non-Vodafone SIM card inside, it will be unlocked.

You'll be sent an email confirming this once it's been done. It can be done using any iTunes account.

Thanks,

Matt B