Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iphone not working abroad - emergency

AshleyP
2: Seeker

I am in an emergency situation

I am currently in Ibiza and as a matter or urgency I need my phone to work.

I registerd fo Euro Traveller and lifted all bars onlne, however my IPhone 4 is not picking up network in Ibiza

I have tried calling and people have been so unhelpful and basically told me there is nothing that can be done.

This is vodafones fault, I did everthing I can do = now I am stuck not being able to contact home and as I said there is an emergency situation.

Today I spent over 40 euros on pay phones that I had to travel 4 miles to find I was also on hold to the international number for over 2 hours... during 5 different phone calls.

What do you suggest, there must be someting vodafone can do, there must be somone that can help?

35 REPLIES 35

Neil_Brown
14: Advanced member

however my IPhone 4 is not picking up network in Ibiza

Does Vodafone have a network in Ibiza? What happens if you do a manual roam, and try to select a network yourself? Are you in an area of coverage?

(I guess the root of my question is, is this a problem resulting from your phone being barred, or something to do with the local network to which you are connecting?)

Neil

It doesn't allow me to do anything - it doesn't find a network at all, can you do a manual roam on an iphone? I have looked at the settings, but I will double check.
Yes vodafone has a network in ibiza as all those who I am with can use their phones!

Neil_Brown

can you do a manual roam on an iphone?

In a way, yes — go to Settings, and select "Carrier" — switch off "Automatic" and then you can pick a network yourself.

I appreciate I am probably asking the most obvious of questions, but have you tried turning it off, taking the SIM out, turning it back on again without the SIM, then off, then SIM back in, then back on? If there's no roaming bar set (i.e. it's not an account issue), that might force it on to the network...

Other solutions are less than ideal, but might just get your working enough to cover the period before you can get the real problem diagnosed and fixed:

Could you borrow a friend's phone, and paying them, might be the cheapest way of dealing with it?

Alternatively, is your iPhone unlocked? Could you use a local SIM in it?

Failing that, what about finding a local Wi-Fi network, and using Skype?

Neil

AshleyP

I am in an emergency situation

I am currently in Ibiza and as a matter or urgency I need my phone to work.

I registerd fo Euro Traveller and lifted all bars onlne, however my IPhone 4 is not picking up network in Ibiza

I have tried calling and people have been so unhelpful and basically told me there is nothing that can be done.

This is vodafones fault, I did everthing I can do = now I am stuck not being able to contact home and as I said there is an emergency situation.

Today I spent over 40 euros on pay phones that I had to travel 4 miles to find I was also on hold to the international number for over 2 hours... during 5 different phone calls.

What do you suggest, there must be someting vodafone can do, there must be somone that can help?

Hi AshleyP,

Neil_Brown is spot on here however if this still doesn’t work it is possible that there is a roaming bar on the account still if it failed to lift via your online account.

If you are still having issues after trying the suggestions above, please follow the instructions on the PM that I have sent you and we will be able to check the account for you.

You can find your PM inbox here.

James

stamford
1: Seeker

..had exactly the same problem!!!....changed my vodaphone passport(which i had for years and worked perefctly!!) for eurotraveller because i was told by Vodaphone it was better....went to ireland for six days....NOTHING!!...no signal...nothing...did all the manual search etc etc...took the mobile into Vodaphone shop...they couldn't help...they palmed me off and said the sim card was broken!!....it wasn't!!...when i got back to England the sim card works fine........BE CAREFUL.....DO NOT CHANGE TO EUROTRAVELLER UNLESS YOU ARE CERTAIN IT WILL WORK.......VODAPHONE LIED TO ME AND SAID THEY HAVE NOT HAD ANY OTHER PROBELMS WHEN OBVIOUSLY THEY HAVE......Ii was withoput my mobile...e-mails...texts etc for six days......VODAPHONE HAVE REFUSED TO GIVE ME MY VODAPHONE PASSPORT BACK ON MY PHONE.....customer service rubbish....vodaphone are liers...they just don't want people to know they have had problems with the eurotraveller service they are trying to sell.....

Hi stamford,

To be honest it sound like when you opted for the EuroTraveller service it changed your price plan which disabled roaming.

However, so that we can double check this for you I have sent you a quick PM, please follow the instructions on the PM and one of the team can get this verified and lifted again for you if required.

You can find your PM inbox here.

James

I too have had no service abroad since November when Vodafone briefly cut both my phones off even though I was never late with a payment. I have been round many loops with on line chat and 191 and visited my local UK shop twice. The UK shop changed the SIMs and gave me a pay as you go SIM as a fall back. I have been abroad twice since theen and the pay as you go works OK but the contract SIM still does not - confirming that it is neither a phone fault or signal, both of which have been cited as the cause previously. Vodafone have tried reinstating the bar and then lifting it in the hope that the fault would clear, several times, also to no avail. I too rely on my phone for my work and this is my fourth trip abroad with the phone not working. Last week when in UK the shop put me through to a technical support person and she said that I need to be abroad experiencing the problem before they could look into it. She had no explanation for why they had not done so during the previous three trips and now I am away on the fourth I have found the link she gave me to follow ends up in this forum. So will somebody at Vodafone please check why my phone is not working on my contract SIM. I go back to UK on Wed then abrroad again on Friday. This is a nightmare.

I have been saving screen shots of the unhelpful chat and web options. From a customer perspective it ia appalling.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @donabroad

I’m sorry to hear of the problems you’re having.

I’ve sent you a private message with instructions on how to get in touch so we can look into this further.

We aim to reply to emails within 48 hours. If you need a quicker response, please visit our Contact Us page.

Thanks,

Jenny