cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Version 3 VSS Lights (Power - flashing, Internet - off, In Service - orange, In Use - orange)

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This thread has been created to discuss and troubleshoot the version 3 Sure Signal when the light sequence is as follows:

• Power: Flashing
  • Internet: Off
  • In Service: Solid Orange
  • In Use: Solid Orange

Cause

This light sequence indicates the Sure Signal's not active and it has been unable to authenticate on the Vodafone network

Troubleshooting

Please restart your Sure Signal. If the symptoms continue please add the following details to this thread:

• Your speed test results from here
  • Your ping test results from here
  • Your external IP address from here
  • Your Sure Signal serial number
  • The results of a traceroute

Traceroute command:

On a PC:

1. Click on Start and select Run
  2. Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
  3. A black box will appear
  4. In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
  5. Paste the output of this command into your reply

On a Mac:

1. Open Terminal (Applications, Utilities)
  2. Type 'traceroute 212.183.133.177'
  3. Press Enter

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

LeeH

2,480 REPLIES 2,480

Hi Ben ,

Currently ( Monday 13.00) working since last night , I will see what happens but had been dropping out, my concern is my upload speed ( 0.37 Mbs ) may be too slow , so if more than one item using this may create a conflict ?

Using a BT  Homehub 2 with up to 4 laptops , phones etc .

Regards

David 

Hi Ben

Thanks.  Just in from work, will reset now, and see what happens.  Using the button on the bottom right?

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi dave55, 

I'm glad it's working. The minimum upload speed is 0.33Mbps so multiple devices connected to your broadband may effect the Sure Signal. 

whiphaven, It's at the bottom next to the Ethernet ports. :smileyhappy:

Kay

Hi Kay/Ben

I reset an hour ago, but there's still the same red flashing light, and 2 orange stable lights.  This morning I spoke to someone on chat, and they said a technician would ring me tonight.  I have just run the tracert thing again, and it still says General Fail

This is what I got

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Juney> tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 General failure.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Juney>

Hi

I have been speaking to BT and they will not help. They say it is not a fault with their systems and if the correct ports are open it should work. Can you advise?

Hi Kay

After posting on here and posting my broadband speed etc, I was told this morning that my upload speed of 0.83mbps is too slow, and then I read your post above which says

"Hi dave55, 

I'm glad it's working. The minimum upload speed is 0.33Mbps so multiple devices connected to your broadband may effect the Sure Signal."

What is happening here?  What is the truth?  I am beginning to think that people are being strung along so that the time for returning the Sure Signal has passed.  I have 7 days to return mine - I would like a signal in my house or I will have to cancel my contract.  When I said this to the chat rep this morning, there was a mysterious technical fault, and chat finished!  I feel I am being fobbed off now - what exactly is the minimum upload speed required?

Other technicians have answered my queries on here as well, and although I have posted my upload speed, no one else has said it would be too slow.  I have spent an hour on chat this morning going over everything about the lack of signal at home, and then they say the broadband is too slow!  I have the transcript of a chat message the other day where the lady guaranteed me a signal with Sure Signal.  Then this morning the chat rep said I would be getting G4 very soon - a complete lie!  There are no plans for G4 in the HR2 area for the foreseeable future.  I have a copy of all the transcripts, and would like someone to contact me to sort this out ASAP!

Hi whiphaven, 

The information I provided is correct. I apologise if you've been told your connection speeds aren't enough as this isn't the case. 

That said, it's still not made any connection to our servers. Could you try it at a friend or family members so we can rule out a fault with the Sure Signal? 

mhayler, There is no connection to our servers. Deregister the Sure Signal for a few hours and then re-register to see if this helps. If not, please try on a different connection as I've mentioned above and let us know what happens. 

Kay

So if I go along to my neighbour and plug it in to his broadband, how long will it take to initialise?  My immediate neighbour has broadband like we do through a receiver on the roof as we cannot get it through the telephone line - would this be making the difference?  I really could do with a technician to ring me and check that the relevant ports are open.  I have opened up the ports as I think, but I am not really confident that I have it correct.  I followed the instructions online.  Surely the fact that the trace route doesn't work means something? 

I wet along to neighbour  and plugged in.  At first there was a red flashing light and just the phone light on stable orange.  We left it for an hour and no change.  They reset it, and it had a stable red light, but internet light glowing white on and off.  We left it for 2 hours, but then realised that his broadband is through the phone line, and dead slow! So it is giving me different lights at my house than it was at the neighbours.  Any ideas now?  I still feel it could be a router problem - but need a technicain to check it out.