Support:

BlackBerry (pre 10 devices)

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
smithl1
Accepted Solution

BB 9900 unable to receive BBMs

Hi, my 9900 is able to receive & send both texts & calls without issue, also the internet is fine - however it can only send BBMs, nothing is ever received..! This has been going on for about a week now, I've tried soft & hard reboots, deleting and re-installing BBM. Changing my email addresses & pwds. I've even taken it into one of the v/f showrooms and they were baffled - saying maybe its a problem with Blackberry themselves, try giving it a bit longer & see if it fixes itself... Which obviously it hasn't!
Please can someone offer better advice as it's driving me mad!

Message 1 of 8 (2,264 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II
pau1j

Re: BB 9900 unable to receive BBMs

Hi smithl1

A few questions / things to try.

Is your signal indicator showing GPRS, EDGE, 3G in capitals?

You can send a BBM to someone and it's received ... can they reply to this (and do you receive the BBM if it's a reply via an active conversation)?

Can you send & receive PIN messages?

What about to yourself?  (your PIN can be found by holding SHIFT & ALT then pressing H or in Device Settings menu)

Can you BBM yourself (believe it or not, you can invite, add & BBM yourself)?

(this trick seemed to give the system a nudge & solved the problem in a recent post)

Message 2 of 8 (2,253 Views)
smithl1

Hi,

Thanks for the response!

It shows as 3G (caps)

They can respond & it shows as "D" on their handset - but nothing comes through to my device

Can send, but can't receive PINs & when the user responds to PIN it shows as "awaiting authorization" (on both our phones)

Won't let me BBM myself - I'll double check exactly what it says later - haven't got it on me at the mo...

Only had the phone about 4 week, worked fine for the 1st 3 weeks, then this! Nothing out of the ordinary installed, just the standard stuff it updates, when you first switch it on...

Message 3 of 8 (2,240 Views)
pau1j

It must be something to do with the registration of the handset to the network - you can send via RIM network, but messages aren't finding your BB.

Have you tried forcing a Registration from the Host Routing Table?

(Options > Device > Advanced > Host Routing Table ... Menu Button)

Alternatively, it could be a Service Book issue (although these are usually refreshed by a battery pull).  You could a resend - via Email Settings Menu.

Last thing I can think of ... are you on a corporate BES tariff or standard BIS tariff?

BES administrators can bar certain functions.

Best of luck.

Message 4 of 8 (2,237 Views)
smithl1

Hi, Thanks again. Forced the registration - no change Resent service books - no change The conversation I'm having with myself shows as ticks with D's on them - as if I hadn't read them... I'm on BIS so no admin to moan at.
Message 5 of 8 (2,231 Views)
smithl1

Not sure why this thread is now showing as "Solved" seem everything I touch breaks..!
Message 6 of 8 (2,218 Views)
smithl1

Strike that, it IS solved now :-) Got fed up and re-wiped the phone's OS, then re-installed same version and restored backups... Now all's well again..! Happy days :-)
Message 7 of 8 (2,212 Views)
pau1j

Glad you're back on the air!
Message 8 of 8 (2,188 Views)