Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
Christow

BBM ABROAD in Europe

So im going to ibiza on sunday, i was wondering if BBM is free?? or are there small charges??

also are text messages out of your allowance like with o2 etc..?

thanks
Message 1 of 9 (11,291 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
ckman08

BBM ABROAD in Europe

Hi,

Using BBM will incur data charges whilst roaming this will include sending and receive emails. However you can avoid roaming data charges if your hotel offer free wifi. You can connect your Blackberry and use BBM and email over wife, just make sure the phone data setting is to Data Roaming Off, but leaving Data On. When you get to a free wifi hotspot, just run the wifi wizzard, connect and follow the wifi hotspot login process.

Text: each txt is 11p. I am not sure if vodafone do roaming txt packs.

Check the follwing section for further details.

http://campaigns.vodafone.co.uk/goingabroad/costs.php?country=113&tariff=1

Hope this helps!
Message 2 of 9 (11,291 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Jon_V

BBM ABROAD in Europe

Hi Chris,

BBM8 is correct, using Blackberry Messenger will incur data roaming charges. You can find details of these charges here.

To disable Data Roaming on your handset, go to Manage Connections > Mobile Networks > Data Services > Off When Roaming
This will stop your handset connecting to the internet when roaming, but does not prevent you from connecting via WiFi where available. Since most hotels now offer free WiFi access, this is often the best route to go through :)

We do not currently offer any data roaming bundles.

Jon

eForum Team
Want to give me some feedback? click here
Message 3 of 9 (11,291 Views)
Christow

BBM ABROAD in Europe

Do you know how much data each bbm uses?? i cant imagine it would be more than a few kbs?? cheers
Message 4 of 9 (11,291 Views)
darkone338

BBM ABROAD in Europe

depends on how long your msgs are.

one liner will be about 1KB, longer will be more, pics will be significantly more..
-----------------------------------------------------

iPhone5
Message 5 of 9 (11,291 Views)
Tech Team
James

BBM ABROAD in Europe

Heya Chris williams,

Darkone is spot on here, basically it will vary as the BBM sends your details such as status info and if you are typing, with this in mind it is still a very small amount of data permessage.

James
eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 6 of 9 (11,291 Views)
StH
StH

BBM ABROAD in Europe

So does this mean that even if you are connected to Wifi internet when abroad and not using data roaming, you will still be charge to use BBM and Whats app?
Message 7 of 9 (11,291 Views)
CarlJ

BBM ABROAD in Europe

Do you know how much data each bbm uses?? i cant imagine it would be more than a few kbs?? cheers

Doesnt really matter, 1 pound per mb in Euro and 3 pound per mb in ROTW
Using a BB9800 but I miss my nokia 6820 :smileysad:

Message 8 of 9 (11,291 Views)
ckman08

BBM ABROAD in Europe

So does this mean that even if you are connected to Wifi internet when abroad and not using data roaming, you will still be charge to use BBM and Whats app?

You will only get charged for roaming data usage if you enable the 'Whilst Roaming' option in the mobile network menu. I normally diable the Whilst Roaming option and only use Wifi for data to avoid Roaming Data charges.
Message 9 of 9 (11,291 Views)