Support:

BlackBerry (pre 10 devices)

Ask a question:
Rank 4: Established Poster
JamesL

Blackberry Curve 9300 Application Memory

To Vodafone eForum Team or anyone else who can help

Dear Sir or Madam

Could you please answer my question which is that I have 153.7MB left of my 2GB micro SD memory card that is in my Blackberry Curve 9300 that never changes no matter how many times I perform a battery pull or reboot but that is not the case with my application memory which is only 6.5MB at most and in order to keep it at that I have to perform a battery pull or reboot once or maybe twice a day every day which I need to do because if I let my application memory get down to 0MB my blackberry might not run right so this is the reason for this message to ask is this normal?

JamesL

Message 1 of 8 (4,362 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II
pau1j

Re: Blackberry Curve 9300 Application Memory

James ... this might be a long one!!

The microSD card is there, mainly, for media ... photographs, music, videos, etc.  So, you wouldn't expect this to change with a battery pull.  As a rule, applications don't store anything to the memory card unless you ask them to - backups, etc.

The built-in memory is used for the OS & applications.  I don't know how much the 9300 has off-hand, but if you're down to a baseline of 6.5MB you must have quite a few apps installed.  At close to 0MB, you will find that the BB starts doing funny things.  You can see which apps are using the most memory in Application Management.

It is well known that BBs suffer from a certain amount of memory leakage - the effect you're seeing as the available memory drops to 0MB - but I have never experienced as much as you describe.  My old 8320 Curve (OS4.5) dropped a few MB over a few days & the problem seems to have gone almost completely in my Bold 9900 (OS7.0 & 7.1).

The leakage you're experiencing could be down to the OS but it's more likely (based on the speed of it) to be one or more installed apps.  Either they're poorly written (so they're holding on to memory they shouldn't be) or you're leaving them open in the background.  I have noticed that Google Maps app caches a huge amount of data & hangs on to it unless you manually use the Reset Maps option.

So ... two things to try.

1) ... Make sure you don't leave apps running in the background (unless you need them to)

2) ... Before your next battery pull, check Application Storage for apps with high memory usage.  Which one(s) dropped significantly after a battery pull?

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 8 (4,359 Views)
JamesL

Thanks Paul for your reply but what you said does not really help me at all apart from answering my original question which was it normal? in which your answer is NO it is not. Now whenever I check application management the applications in megabytes alwys remain the same following a reboot battery pull it is the items maked others that is what changes and as would leave no megabytes of free space
Message 3 of 8 (4,352 Views)
pau1j

More like normal but very excessive, rather than a flat out no.

'Other' covers a multitude of possibilities!

I've read a few posts on Crackberry & Blackberry Support forums - it seems that 'Other' ballooning out of control might be a common complaint with OS6.  There are some pretty good explanations but, I think, it boils down to three general ideas for what 'Other' might be:

1) ... Cached media thumbnails.  The OS creates small image files each time you view a media folder - these are deleted on reboot.

2) ... App World cached thumbnails/files.

3) ... Universal Search index.  Again, this is reset by a reboot & gradually repopulates.

The first one can be ruled out by removing or temporarily disabling the memory card.  The second by avoiding AppWorld for a day or so.  The last one can only be minimised (I don't think you can disable Universal Search completely) ... uncheck as many of the content sections as you think you can do without.

If non of these help, are you running the latest OS for the 9300?  I haven't seen any post that would suggest that the later versions are any more efficient - but it might help.

Alternatively, as a workaround, you can reduce the size of your current OS (thereby freeing memory, which might give you more time between reboots) by deleting unused fonts/languages.  The languages, in particular, take up a good few MB.

There are a few apps available which simulate a battery pull and can be scheduled to do it at a convenient time.  Or ALT/RIGHTSHIFT/DELETE reboots without the hassle of pulling the battery.

Message 4 of 8 (4,342 Views)
JamesL

Thanks Paul for your reply but I dont think it will matter to me much now as I was entitled to upgrade my phone under the contract I have with vodafone from March this year so I am thinking of going for the blackberry curve 9320 in the next day or two  and maybe things will perform better with that one but thanks for your help anyway

JamesL

Message 5 of 8 (4,332 Views)
pau1j

The 9320 (although it's aimed as an entry-level phone) has some nice specs.  I was going to suggest having a look at the 9360 instead - but, apart from the screen resolution, the 9320 gives it a good run.

Both have double the memory of the 9300 & OS7 seems to handle memory leakage much better than OS6 - so you should notice a big improvement either way.

The one thing I did like about the 9320 is the move to a 1450mAh battery (up from the 9300's 1100mAh & a measly 1000mAh for the 9360 which, I guess, allowed RIM to slim it to only 11mm).  Perhaps RIM is reacting to the battering it received on battery life for the early OS7 models?

Hope all goes well with the new BB.

Message 6 of 8 (4,317 Views)
Tech Team
Amanda

Hi JamesL,

Thanks for your post, I’d love to help with upgrading you to a new BlackBerry and get the best suited one for you. :smileyhappy:

I’ve popped you a Private Message with some information on how to get in contact with us, once we reach your email we’ll give you a call to help.

You can find your PM inbox here.

Thanks

Amanda

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 7 of 8 (4,307 Views)
JamesL

Thanks again Paul for your reply

and before I was only thinking about upgrading my blackberry curve 9300 to the blackberry curve 9320 but after what you have told me just told me in your last post you have just helped me make up my mind. Now the screen resolution of the BB 9320 does not bother me but a longer battery life and less app memory leakage is both what I want and need so I will be going to one of the vodafone shops I know some time tomorrow to see if I can get one under the contract I already have with vodafone  so thanks again for your help

JamesL

Message 8 of 8 (4,294 Views)