Support:

BlackBerry (pre 10 devices)

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
Glupton

Blackberry Curve Mysterious Water Damage.

Have any of you had a Blackberry Curve give up the ghost and have one of the moisture damage indicators trigger when the phone was just in your pocket on a damp day?

This happened to me and the response from Vodafone Customer Services has so far been pitiful. Wheder of the contractn I asked what they could do for me the response was "nothing" This cant be right surely, can it?

I have paid up the remainder of the contract, 11 months or so, but cant believe for one second that tis is the best option. What do you guys suggest?
Message 1 of 27 (4,091 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster
sebbelcher

Have any of you had a Blackberry Curve give up the ghost and have one of the moisture damage indicators trigger when the phone was just in your pocket on a damp day?

This happened to me and the response from Vodafone Customer Services has so far been pitiful. Wheder of the contractn I asked what they could do for me the response was "nothing" This cant be right surely, can it?

I have paid up the remainder of the contract, 11 months or so, but cant believe for one second that tis is the best option. What do you guys suggest?

This is a fairly well documented issue with the curve, the moisture damage indictors are incredibly sensitive and can be triggered by moisture vapour in the air. Plenty of incidents of people leaving the phone in a trouser pocket whilst having a quick shower and the steam triggering the damage indicators.

Did you try sending the handset directly to RIM for repair under warranty? The worst they can do is say no...
Message 2 of 27 (4,091 Views)
Glupton

This is a fairly well documented issue with the curve, the moisture damage indictors are incredibly sensitive and can be triggered by moisture vapour in the air. Plenty of incidents of people leaving the phone in a trouser pocket whilst having a quick shower and the steam triggering the damage indicators.

Did you try sending the handset directly to RIM for repair under warranty? The worst they can do is say no...

I didn't try that because it is Vodafone's responsibility provide a handset and service that is in line with my statutory rights. So far they haven't done this. I'll give VF the chance to put things right before exploring other avenues.

It would be good if one of their representatives on here could do that, as I am having no joy with the woeful call centres.
Message 3 of 27 (4,091 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster
sebbelcher

I didn't try that because it is Vodafone's responsibility provide a handset and service that is in line with my statutory rights. So far they haven't done this. I'll give VF the chance to put things right before exploring other avenues.

It would be good if one of their representatives on here could do that, as I am having no joy with the woeful call centres.

I think the fight you are going to have is that they consider any incident that triggers the water ingress indicators as misuse of the phone, hence damage caused by the consumer and you have no statutory remedy. You could perhaps try phoning and not mentioning the water indicators... they might just submit it for warranty repair without asking any questions...
Message 4 of 27 (4,091 Views)
BigJeff

The fist thing the repair center check are the water markers so i think you would be wasting your time sending it away for repair. I havent heard anything about a well documented case about the sensors being too sensertive (not that ive actually checked) but if this is the case the RIM are the people to talk to on this one.
Message 5 of 27 (4,091 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Reidar

Hello Glupton

Welcome to the eForum :)

I understand that this is proving very frustrating and that water damage can happen in a variety of ways. Once the indicators confirm exposure to water/moisture there is little that can be done to reverse this.

i would advise that you take the device to on of our Stores to see what repair options are available, the problem is that water damage poses its own limitations in what can be done.

The other alternative would be to utilise your phone insurance if you have it, or any other insurance (i.e. home) that would cover your contents including your phone.

Thanks

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team
Message 6 of 27 (4,091 Views)
Glupton

Hello Glupton

Welcome to the eForum :)

I understand that this is proving very frustrating and that water damage can happen in a variety of ways. Once the indicators confirm exposure to water/moisture there is little that can be done to reverse this.

i would advise that you take the device to on of our Stores to see what repair options are available, the problem is that water damage poses its own limitations in what can be done.

The other alternative would be to utilise your phone insurance if you have it, or any other insurance (i.e. home) that would cover your contents including your phone.

Thanks

eForum Team

Reidar,

I have been into one of the stores and was told that I basically have no options. Was told the same one the phone too. From what I can see, only one of the markers has changed colour. A very quick google search shows this up to be a common problem with Blackberries. I didn't take the insurance as I am careful with my phones, don't lose them and don't take them anywhere stupid.

So given the above information what do you suggest? I refuse to believe that there are no options.

My wife and kids are on VF, so there will be a few contracts moving if this is not sorted out satisfactorily.

George.
Message 7 of 27 (4,091 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Reidar

Hello George

Just as an update to your enquiry, are there any additional issues with the handset apart from the water damage markers?

Please advise, thanks

eForum Team
Message 8 of 27 (4,092 Views)
Glupton

Hi Reidar. Yes. It isn't working, not switching on or anything.

George.
Message 9 of 27 (4,092 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
Rufass

Hi Reidar. Yes. It isn't working, not switching on or anything.

George.

Did this start happening around the same time the water damage markers became overly sensitive?
Message 10 of 27 (4,092 Views)
Glupton

Did this start happening around the same time the water damage markers became overly sensitive?

How the hell would I know? What kind of sad individual would check their water damage markers on a regular basis.
Message 11 of 27 (4,092 Views)
Rufass

How the hell would I know? What kind of sad individual would check their water damage markers on a regular basis.

Right. So you have a phone that's bricked and all the indications are that it's got wet.

Insure the next one.
Message 12 of 27 (4,092 Views)
Glupton

Right. So you have a phone that's bricked and all the indications are that it's got wet.

Insure the next one.

No, not all the indications are that it got wet. Only one of the visible markers triggered. There is another important indication that it didn't get wet - i.e. me knowing that it didn't get wet.
Message 13 of 27 (4,092 Views)
Rufass

No, not all the indications are that it got wet. Only one of the visible markers triggered. There is another important indication that it didn't get wet - i.e. me knowing that it didn't get wet.

The phone being dead as a dodo is a fairly strong indicator combined with the marker, at least that's the way RIM will play it. I guess you'd need to find some real evidence that these markers can trigger without the phone getting wet.

Is the marker that's red the one on the battery? Can you try another battery in the phone?
Message 14 of 27 (4,092 Views)
Rufass

The phone being dead as a dodo is a fairly strong indicator combined with the marker, at least that's the way RIM will play it. I guess you'd need to find some real evidence that these markers can trigger without the phone getting wet.

Is the marker that's red the one on the battery? Can you try another battery in the phone?

It also occurs to me that if it is the one on the battery and you replaced it, even if it still doesn't work you now have a phone with no sign of water getting in ...
Message 15 of 27 (4,092 Views)
Glupton

It also occurs to me that if it is the one on the battery and you replaced it, even if it still doesn't work you now have a phone with no sign of water getting in ...

It's the one on the phone that triggered.
Message 16 of 27 (4,092 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster
danieltharris

Geez I better not ever leave my new 9700 in the car. It can get pretty steamed up in there. Is this a common thing with Blackberry handsets? Or phones in general?
Message 17 of 27 (4,092 Views)
Rank 10: Helper IV
daveastra

Geez I better not ever leave my new 9700 in the car. It can get pretty steamed up in there. Is this a common thing with Blackberry handsets? Or phones in general?

its not something iv seen, i have s curve 8520, curve 8900 and storm 9500 and have jus check my markers and they are all fine, and i live in wales!!! :D
Message 18 of 27 (4,092 Views)
Glupton

The Crackberry forum shows this to be a common problem with Curves.

Reidar - are you able to give me my PAC code? I have tried getting through on the phone, but am having no success.

I have business stationary and signs with this number on and do not want to lose it.

Seeing as it looks like VF are going to be of no use here, I'm going back to Orange - taking my families phone with me too.
Message 19 of 27 (4,092 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
PaulE

Hi Glupton,

I'm sorry that you're thinking of leaving us - unfortunately if the water damage indicators are affected then that's the information our repair centre will go on, as there are other markers within the handset that aren't immediately visible so our hands are tied in that respect - this would be the same with every network and their own repair centres too.

One suggestion may be to have it independently assessed- if there's a local mobile phone repair shop you could pop it into, then the certified engineer would be able to tell you if there was actually water ingress, or it was just the indicators that had been affected.

With regards to your PAC, it's naturally not something I can post onto a public forum, but I'll send you an email now asking for some details - reply to this for me and we'll be in touch.

Paul
eForum Team
Message 20 of 27 (4,092 Views)