Support:

BlackBerry (pre 10 devices)

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
DoctorCongo

Why does my Blackberry Torch 9800 keep slipping into SOS mode?

Hello there.

I've owned a Blackberry Torch 9800 on the Vodafone network for around 9 months now and it quite often slips into SOS mode whether i'm at work or at home. Why does it keep doing this???

I've just rang a Vodafone Customer Services Advisor and he told me to pull the battery and take the Sim card out. I have done this before though and it makes no difference. He also told me that where i live we have good 3G coverage but we don't! We are currently on the Edge signal - no 3G for us yet i'm afraid!!

I've just changed the network setting to 2G, will this make the SOS problem go away or can someone suggest a permanent fix?....,its just that when the phone is in my pocket and it goes into SOS mode people can't contact me. It could be an important call / text and i wouldn't know that i had no signal. 

Thanks for reading!

Paul. 

Message 1 of 11 (3,999 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
redpages

Re: Why does my Blackberry Torch 9800 keep slipping into SOS mode?

Are you able to test the SIM in another Vodafone handset to see if the single drops out on that too? This will let you work out if it might be a problem with the SIM card or the BlackBerry itself.

If it's an older SIM card then one option would be to ask Vodafone to send you a new SIM with your existing number linked to it, usually this is free of charge and can help out if a SIM becomes faulty or worn out over time.

Message 2 of 11 (3,961 Views)
DoctorCongo

I've only been with Vodafone for 9 months now so the sim should be pretty up to date. Unfortunately i haven't got another Vodafone handset to try the sim with. 

Someone i work with has the same phone and never experiences the SOS thing so could it be a dodgy phone?

Message 3 of 11 (3,951 Views)
Tech Team
Ben_H

Hi DoctorCongo,

It certainly seems there's a hardware fault somewhere then if you have a colleague who isn't suffering the same issues. Although your SIM is only young, there could still be a fault so trying it in another phone could help you to find out if it's the handset or the SIM. IF you got the phone from Vodafone directly, you'll have a manufacturers warranty giving you access to free repairs via our stores or our customer service teams on 191. You're welcome to send it in for a repair if it doesn't end up being a SIM fault. :smileywink:

Let me know how you get on and if you need any further help on this. :smileyhappy:

Cheers, Ben 

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 4 of 11 (3,937 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II
pau1j

Paul

When you pull/replace the battery, does the signal return?

How about if you just switch the Mobile Network off then back on?

This has been reported a number of times and was regarded as a software problem - from memory though, it was mostly early OS7 phones and was 'fixed' in later OS versions.  Your 9800 will be OS6 (?) & you're probably running the latest version already but worth checking for updates.

Try leaving the phone on 2G only for a while & see if it makes a difference.  If you don't have a usable 3G signal in your area, there's no point in asking the phone to hunt for one - it's only wasting battery.

Best of luck.

Message 5 of 11 (3,933 Views)
DoctorCongo

Thanks Ben. I'll try and borrow a phone to try and find out if it is phone or sim. 

Message 6 of 11 (3,887 Views)
DoctorCongo

Yes Paul, when i pull the battery the signal does return. It also does when i switch the Mobile Network off then back on again. I left the phone on 2G only for a couple of days but it want into SOS at home this afternoon. 

Can you tell me how to find software updates? Also can you tell me what the Mobile Network settings should be? Currently my phone is set to Data Services - On.... Network Selection Mode - Automatic.....Network Mode - 2G.

Thanks.  

Message 7 of 11 (3,883 Views)
pau1j

You can check for software updates by plugging in to PC & running BB Desktop Manager - this will tell you if there's an update available.

Alternatively, official OS updates can be found here ... Vodafone UK

Latest official OS for the 9800 is 6.0.0.246 (find yours by pressing SHIFT + ALT + H ... it's the application version you're interested in).  You might be able to find slightly later, unofficial, versions via Crackberry.

Your Mobile Network settings are fine.

You mention that the BB slipped into SOS at home - do you have your phone set to connect to wifi at home?

If so, try turning the BB's wifi off.

Message 8 of 11 (3,865 Views)
DoctorCongo

[ Edited ]

No Paul my phone is not connected to Wi-fi at home. I have just looked on my phone and the software info is as follows:

6.0 Bundle 2647 (v6.0.0.600, Platform 6.6.0.223) 

Is this correct or should it end in 0.246?

EDIT.....I take it that the 0.223 is the original software so is not going to say any different! 

I'll try and update the software on my PC with the link you posted. 

Message 9 of 11 (3,862 Views)
pau1j

Paul ... looking again at the available updates, I'm confused! :smileyfrustrated:

Usually, the download site lists the most recent updates at the top with the oldest at the bottom.  But ... you would expect the numbers to go in the same direction!

Assuming that the number sequences are correct, the latest version is:

Package Version: 6.0.0.2949
Consisting of:

• Applications: 6.0.0.668
  • Software Platform: 6.6.0.236

The best way would be to use Desktop Manager - this will automatically pick out the most recent package.

Going from Bundle 2647 (6.0.0.600) to Bundle 2949 (6.0.0.668) won't be life changing in terms of functions on the 9800, but it might just help with the signal issue.

After updating, do a few battery pulls (maybe even a reboot without the SIM).  It helps the BB clear its memory of any data that's clinging on!

Best of luck.

Message 10 of 11 (3,856 Views)
DoctorCongo

I'll try and sort it when i get home from work tonight. 

Thankyou for your help Paul. Much appreciated. :smileyhappy:

Message 11 of 11 (3,852 Views)