Support:

BlackBerry

Ask a question:
Rank 32: Scholar I
Getafix
Accepted Solution

BB Torch

My BB Torch went into a start loop and would not startup.

I reset the software using BB Desktop.

I restored a past Backup both on Protect (Mainly Contacts) and Desktop (Mainly Setup).

I have now stopped receiving emails. Any idea what could be the cause.

If I try to access the Email Setup, nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 11 (3,243 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II
pau1j

Re: BB Torch

Are the correct Service Books in place?

Usual way to resend Service Books would be through email set-up but, if you can't access that ...

How about trying Register in the Host Routing Table section of the System Settings?  This should force the BB to register on the network (usually receive a message to that effect).  Then try the Email Setup (resend Service Books, etc.).

Did you set-up the email using Blackberry ID?  Can you log back in to ID?  Will this force a Service Book retrieval and reacquaint the BB & email?

Message 2 of 11 (3,194 Views)
Getafix

[ Edited ]

Tried the HRT register. Could not access the Email setup.

Deleted the Email service books.

Still cannot go into Email Setup.

Will try to reset again and then update from backup

Message 3 of 11 (3,189 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Hi Pateldaku

Thanks for your post here. I’m sorry to hear that you are having problems with this. I appreciate how frustrating it must be.

Let us know how you get on after the reset and if it resolves you problem.

Give us a shout if you need anything else and we’ll be happy to help you.

Thanks

Wayne

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 4 of 11 (3,136 Views)
Getafix

[ Edited ]
Hi Wayne, Did not work.

Still cannot access the setup.

And please do not take another 48 hours to respond.

I have been in touch via twitter DM today and Cate said will get a response today. Well not the response Iwas expecting.

Also just wondering Matt gave Kudos to Pau1j, but did not bother solving my issue.

Message 5 of 11 (3,131 Views)
pau1j

Pateldaku ... frustrating it may be, but the techteam aren't at your beck & call.

From the information in your original post, it's clear you have a good idea of what you're doing with the Blackberry - you've already ruled out the 'obvious' things.

Did you set-up the email using Blackberry ID?  Can you log back in to ID?  Will this force a Service Book retrieval and reacquaint the BB & email?

How about wiping the handset or a reset using DM, then a reboot (WITHOUT restoring from backup).  Perhaps the backup/restore is also restoring the fault?

You don't mention whether you can access the internet (via BB Browser) - I assume you can.

If so, how about going to the email setup via the Browser?

One of your default bookmarks should be mobile.blackberry.com > from here select Email > Other Personal Account.  This should take you to a screen that forces Launch Email Setup (it's pretty much the same thing that the Email Setup Application would take you to).

I think a direct link is ... http://www.blackberry.com/MailIntegration/entry.do?CPID=MBC_MAIL

Message 6 of 11 (3,118 Views)
Getafix

[ Edited ]

Hi Pau1J,

And I don't expect them to be there whenever I require them.

But I expected something more then what they said after 48 Hours.

Contacted them via Twitter DM first and told me to post here, so I expect them to internally talk to each other.

The Email setup was restored from my PC backup. I have about 8 of them and I used the one that I had used previously about couple months ago when I had the same loop problem.

But whichever backup I use I cannot access the Emailt Setup.

My Blackberry ID is working fine and I connect to Protect as well.

All BB services are working fine including Facebook/Twitter Apps.

Thanks for the link. Used that and validated the Emails. It worked and am receiving Emails.

However I cannot go into the Setup>Email Accounts, to add or delete accounts.

Will contact BlackBerry to see if they have any issue reported regarding access to setup.

Message 7 of 11 (3,115 Views)
pau1j

Pateldaku.

Glad you've got access to your emails at last.  I think I might be able to set you into the edit menu too.

From memory on OS4.2 the email setup was simply a hyperlink to a similar webpage that you've just used to activate the email retrieval.

I've been looking for that link and stumbled on a few posts (mainly the blackberry.com forums) and it seems that a non-functioning email setup application is/was a common problem on the Torch.  Sorry, didn't read through all the threads to see whether it's been fixed or not (there is a link to a RIM knowledgebase article though - page 4 of the thread).

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Torch/Torch-9800-email-set-up-icon-not-responding-...

Right ... to get you moving quickly.  Open the Messages Application & select Options from the menu.  You should see Email Account Management (or similar) ... this will take you to (effectively) the same place that Email Setup would have done if it was working.

Message 8 of 11 (3,110 Views)
Getafix

Pau1J,

I did manage to find that as well.

You are right. It probably is just a link and not working correctly from the Setup Menu.

Have now saved it in the favourite and hopefully I will not need to use it.

Thanks once again for you help.

Message 9 of 11 (3,099 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
AndyD

Hi Pateldaku,

Thanks for the update that you've resolved your query, it's good news :smileyhappy:

Should you have any questions in the future, you know where we are.

Thanks

Andy

Message 10 of 11 (3,096 Views)
Getafix

I solved the problem.

Connect your phone to the Desktop. Under the application, there is a Email Setup. Click on the + and install it on the phone.

And then it should allow you to Manage your account.
Message 11 of 11 (2,983 Views)