Support:

BlackBerry

Ask a question:
Rank 4: Established Poster
kenm_uk

BlackBerry Bold 9700 - How Do I Set My Phone To Use Wi-Fi Only When Roaming?

Now that Vodafone has abandoned per kilobyte billing and opted for per megabyte billing of data when abroad, I would like to roam with my BlackBerry using Wifi only. Is this possible?

What I want is to disable data (or disable data while roaming) via the mobile network options on the device. I then would like to be able to use only wi-fi for data in order to connect to the BIS, use apps, and use web browser -- but without using any mobile network data.

However, when I try disabling the data option wifi does not seem to work at all. Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks,
Ken
Message 1 of 10 (3,116 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
ckman08

Now that Vodafone has abandoned per kilobyte billing and opted for per megabyte billing of data when abroad, I would like to roam with my BlackBerry using Wifi only. Is this possible?

What I want is to disable data (or disable data while roaming) via the mobile network options on the device. I then would like to be able to use only wi-fi for data in order to connect to the BIS, use apps, and use web browser -- but without using any mobile network data.

However, when I try disabling the data option wifi does not seem to work at all. Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks,
Ken

Hi Kenm,

The steps to take to only use wifi when abroad is as follows, I did this when I went on holiday:

Mobile network settings:
Navigate to the "Mobile Network" under options menu
Leave data services "ON"
While Roaming should be set to "OFF".

Also check that the GPS location aiding is set to OFF too, this can be found under the advanced options > Location Settings.

The above should be done before you leave the UK.

Next when you arrive at your destination and you are in the vicinity of wifi (preferably free wifi!), use the Manage Connections > set Up Wifi network option. Scan for the wifi network you want to connect to. You will most likely be prompted to log in to the wifi hotspot to accept the terms and conditions of use, once you have accepted you should be good to go.

I used BlackBerry Messenger, email and browsed the web using my BlackBerry all for free because the hotel I stayed in offered free wifi!

Enjoy
Message 2 of 10 (3,116 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Holly

Hi kenm,

Thanks BBM8! Always nice when someone beat us to the right answer.:)

kenm - Can you give it a go and test that your wifi is still working?

Thanks

Holly
eForum Team
Message 3 of 10 (3,116 Views)
kenm_uk

Hi kenm,

Thanks BBM8! Always nice when someone beat us to the right answer.:)

kenm - Can you give it a go and test that your wifi is still working?

Thanks

Holly
eForum Team

It does not appear to work when I switch off the data from the "Mobile Network Options". I have had a white (grey when not connected) wifi icon on my home screen in the past when data is enabled, but when data is disabled the wifi does not appear to work.

Note: both "Vodafone UK" and my router name appear on the home screen...but the wifi does not connect to the BB network and the browsed does not work.

Have you any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ken
Message 4 of 10 (3,116 Views)
ckman08

It does not appear to work when I switch off the data from the "Mobile Network Options". I have had a white (grey when not connected) wifi icon on my home screen in the past when data is enabled, but when data is disabled the wifi does not appear to work.

Note: both "Vodafone UK" and my router name appear on the home screen...but the wifi does not connect to the BB network and the browsed does not work.

Have you any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ken

Hi Ken,

You need to leave Data on, but disable the roaming option:

Navigate Options > Mobile Network
Data Services "ON"
While Roaming "OFF"

next you will need to got to the Manage Connection option icon, under this option switch on Wifi or if it is already on, then leave it on.

Now once you are abroad and near wifi hotspot, you need to go back to Manage Connections > Set up wifi network, follow the wizard and after connecting to the wifi you should be prompted to log in to the wifi hotspot via a login screen.

You cannot test this while in the UK, because under the while roaming option only has 3 option, ON, Prompt and OFF, none of this will disable network data when in the UK. This only works when you are abroad, key thing check list is:
Data "ON",
While Roaming "OFF",
wifi "ON",
When abroad, run wifi connection wizard
Message 5 of 10 (3,116 Views)
kenm_uk

I tried something. If I DISABLE the "Mobile Network" and then turn ON "Data Services" under the "Mobile Network Options" then the WiFi kicks in right away and messages arrive.

But, I want to enable my connection to the mobile network (for calls and texts) but be sure that ALL data ONLY passes through the Wifi connection. As yet, this does not seem possible while on the home/VodafoneUK network. What I am hoping is that with "Data Services" set to ON and with "While Roaming" set to OFF that the WiFi will work when roaming without sending any data through the mobile network. But unless someone knows of a way to test this, I may not be able to test it until I next roam -- which is unfortunate, esp if it does not work.
Message 6 of 10 (3,116 Views)
kenm_uk

You cannot test this while in the UK, because under the while roaming option only has 3 option, ON, Prompt and OFF, none of this will disable network data when in the UK. This only works when you are abroad, key thing check list is:
Data "ON",
While Roaming "OFF",
wifi "ON",
When abroad, run wifi connection wizard

Thanks BBM8. That is the problem I was having. Glad to know it will work when abroad though. Cheers!
Message 7 of 10 (3,116 Views)
kenm_uk

Also check that the GPS location aiding is set to OFF too, this can be found under the advanced options > Location Settings.

I just discovered that there is a "Disabled while roaming" option for the GPS location aiding too... which fits the bill perfectly.

Thanks!
Message 8 of 10 (3,116 Views)
ckman08

Thanks BBM8. That is the problem I was having. Glad to know it will work when abroad though. Cheers!

Kenm,

Trust me, the settings I stated does work I was on Holiday earlier this year and in the 2 hotels which I stayed in offered free wifi. I used the settings I have stated and it worked no charges on my mobile phone bill. I had full use of BBM, email and browsing, there may be a very small chance that the wifi network might block certain types of internet traffic, but I have not come across this yet.

Just to recap:

Data Services ON (This indicate you want to use data on your phone)

While Roaming OFF (This will disable data on Foreign Mobile network when off)

Under Mange Connections, enable WIFI, then run the WIFI Network setup

With Data Services ON, this will allow your phone to use Data while roaming via wifi only becasue While Roaming option is OFF under the Mobile Network option.

Message 9 of 10 (3,116 Views)
ckman08

I just discovered that there is a "Disabled while roaming" option for the GPS location aiding too... which fits the bill perfectly.

Thanks!

Yes, you need to disable Location Aiding (GPS) too as mentioned in my above post #2
Message 10 of 10 (3,116 Views)