30-01-2010 05:27 PM
I've just installed OS 5 on my Curve 8900. It is the official Vodafone release as it came out yesterday. Just thought I'd let everyone know of my experiences so far!
1. New loading bar after reboot - Looks awesome :-)
2. New SMS format - It looks much like the BBM style of messaging. I like the way all my conversations are grouped by sender and it does not show messages individually. One down side though... I sent 4 txt messages earlier, which should have really been one, as I was writing like I was BBMing someone. Something I will just have to remember in the future!
3. New Profile Customisation - Muuuuuuuuuuuuuch better! Vibrate while ring has finally been introduced (although I had an app for this before) and the layout as much nicer and more user friendly.
4. Pictures folder - Seems much... nicer. Not loads different but seems to load quicker and can scroll through pictures using the track ball.
5. BBM - I didn't do a back up before I upgraded and all my apps stayed on my phone... except AppWorld and BBM. Silly old me didn't back up his BBM contacts, so had to arduous process of re-adding them all! Luckily I had all the Pins in my phone book...
6. Apps - A couple of apps didn't work as they required a different version for OS5. Not too much hassle.
Generally, things seem to be running as fast (or slightly faster) then before, although I have always been impressed by the responsiveness of the phone itself. There are also some extra theme customisation options, allowing you to change any theme to display your home screen like the iPhone (full of icons).
Hope everyone else is enjoying the new upgrade as much as I am!
02-02-2010 11:23 AM
You can get the new OS by connection your Curve into your computer and opening Desktop Manager. It should check for device updates and upgrade your phone firmware as required.
23-03-2010 01:14 PM
23-03-2010 01:16 PM
23-03-2010 01:17 PM
22-11-2010 11:56 AM
My company were using O2, so my phone starts up with the O2 logo etc. I am now on Vodafone because the O2 signal was poor in my area, but the phone still has all the O2 branding.
I want to upgrade the phone OS and remove the branding, but when I connect to desktop manager it says there are no updates available.
How to I get the update?
23-11-2010 01:15 PM
A warm welcome to the Vodafone eForum!
I've had a look around on Google and I can see lots of people using O2 8900's have updated sucessfully to OS5.
You are following the correct procedure as well, all you should need to do is connect the phone to the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and it should prompt you to update the phone.
This may not make a difference but have you tried putting an O2 SIM into the phone and then connecting it? I'm not sure this will fix the issue however please give it a go andlet me know if anything changes.
ihill - Another quick Google search for SatNav and OS5, judging from what people are saying on other forums/reviews it looks like it will still work on an updated 8900.