You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Software Upgrade Problem

Hi. Can anyone help me rescue my Blackberry? I downloaded the software upgrade and when it came to run it, it has been stuck on Overall Backup Progress 10% for literally hours. I've tried battery pulls with no success. It just sticks at the same spot.

I've tried the local Vodafone store who say there is nothing they can do so I am a bit stuck with a handset on contract until December next year which is unusable.

Has anyone got any advice? Much as I don't really want to do this, is there a way of buying just a handset and transferring the SIM so at least I'm not paying a monthly bill for nothing?

I am a bit stumped by it all.

John

Message 1 of 8 (5,836 Views)
Rank 16: Guide V

Re: Blackberry Software Upgrade Problem

Dear bbutlers,

I'm hearing a lot of people having trouble with this. So much so that I am recommending that they do not update over the air, but through Desktop Manager. At least that way, you can do a seperate backup. I haven't figured out what is causing the issue (network connection, battery charge, SIM card)

Try doing a hard reset without the SIM card. With the handset switched on, remove the battery and SIM card, leave for at least 10 minutes and then reboot without the SIM card. It might take longer than usual.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers

Message 2 of 8 (5,826 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II

Hi John.

How old is the phone?  Presumably if it's in contract it should still be in warranty.  The problem was caused by an update ... that's a warranty issue.  The shop should be able to take back for a repair.  Alternatively, Tech-Team mods on here will likely send you a PM with information on sending for a repair.

It might be possible to resurrect though.  As SatanicBuddha mentions, there have been quite a few reports of problems with the OTA update recently.  Let us know how you get on with the SIM-out boot.  One or two have said that, if you leave the phone overnight, it will have another go at the update and things are brighter in the morning.  Remember to leave on charge so the phone has sufficient battery life.

Is all your data backed-up?  Or do you use Blackberry Protect?

(it may be necessary to wipe the phone - particularly if it needs to go away for repair)

Best of Luck.

Message 3 of 8 (5,814 Views)

Hi Satanic. Thank you very much for your help. It worked. I have lost all my text messages but everything else is absolutely fine and that is frankly a small price to pay compared to losing the use of the phone.

So much more helpful than a shrugging of shoulders and a 'there's nothing I can do' from staff at my local Vodafone store. Could you take over as manager there please? Ha ha

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 8 (5,808 Views)

Dear bbutlers,

Thank you for getting back to us. Glad to have helped.

I would seriously recommend that you download and install BlackBerry Desktop Manager onto a PC (or Mac). That way, you can do regular backups, as well as update software easily. These days, when so many people only have theire contacts on a device or computer (remember address books, anyone?), it is so important to do backups.

The latest BlackBerry Desktop Software can be found here:

http://uk.blackberry.com/services/desktop/

As for handset software, although the Desktop Manager is usually quite good at finding the latest version, you can manually download it from this site:

http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

Just scroll down to Europe and select Vodafone UK if you got your handset from Vodafone. Downlaod and install it onto your PC (the Mac Desktop Software updates in a different way), plug in your BB and start up BlackBerry Desktop Software. It should prompt you to install. However, please do a seperate back up...just in case (Captain Paranoia and well as Sod, are good friends of mine, so I always try and anticipate their intervention).

As for managing a store, I spent nearly 20 years in retail, although not phones, mainly OurPrice, Disney, Tate Gallery. Had enough of the low pay, even on a management level. Just found out I had a knack of fixing phones, and found a company that was willing to believe in me (as well as reward me nicely financially), so happy where I am at present.

Any questions, you can get hold of me on here via teh message function.

Cheers

Message 5 of 8 (5,786 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II

As a minimum, BB users should be using BB Protect - especially as it's bundled with OS7.

Glad you're up & running again John.
Message 6 of 8 (5,783 Views)

Good point, pau1j,

As most of my work is BES-centric, I keep forgetting about BB Protect.

Message 7 of 8 (5,779 Views)

Hi. Thanks for all of your responses. I do have Desktop Manager and Blackberry Protect, and just to be doubly sure, went through the steps above.

All working well and thanks for all your help.

As for the Blackberry store, I think it is a Norwich thing. I've been to branches in Blackpool (a few years ago when I had a problem with a different phone) and they were super-helpful, and a friend had a phone break and went into a Leeds store and they were excellent too.

It wasn't just me. A poor guy in front of me in the queue in Norwich had a totally locked up brand new HTC phone he'd bought from them the day before and got the same 'shrugging shoulders - claim on your insurance' response.

Thanks again all of you for your help.

John

Message 8 of 8 (5,770 Views)
iPhone 6

iPhone 6

Bigger than bigger