Support:

BlackBerry

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
D-Mac

Bold 9780 cannot get Sure Signal connection

Hello all,

First time post and also new to Blackberry and smartphones in general so please bear with me.

I have just received a pre-used Blackberry 9780 (only a couple of weeks old before I got it). I was told that it was locked to Vodafone which I thought was okay as I already had an account and SIM with Vodafone. Everything seems to be working well (phone, text, camera, etc), however I cannot get the phone to connect to my Sure Signal box. My wife has been using the Sure Signal with her iPhone for several months without any problems and continually receives five bars of signal on 3G. Without the Sure Signal, we both only have two GPRS signal bars at most as we live in the country with very poor reception.

My phone number was registered with Sure Signal and I received a text message confirming this. However, my number was registered before I had swapped the SIM from my old phone (not 3G) to my new one. With the Sure Signal registration confirmation text I also received two other texts with Configuration Messages that appeared to be some kind of software to install onto the phone (one was called Contract MMS, the other was Contract WAP). As I could not use that particular phone with the Sure Signal I did not install them. After a few hours I swapped the SIM to my new Blackberry but found that the 3G signal was not there. I contacted Vodafone Technical helpline and was told that the Configuration software messages were not applicable to me and could be ignored(?) and was instructed to perform a hard reset on the Sure Signal box 24 hours after the registration (press the button, remove router cable, keep the button pressed for 30 seconds, reinsert the cable, release the button after another 10 seconds). No improvement on my phone but my wife continues to receive 3G. I spoke to Vodafone Technical helpline again (this time for an hour). We updated the Blackberry desktop software (the version on the disc that came with the phone was outdated), and played with some of the phone settings in the Mobile Network Options and Set Up Wi-Fi Network. None of these have made any difference. Eventually I was told to replace the SIM card with a new one (with the same phone number). This has made no difference whatsoever. With the new SIM in, the Sure Signal registration was cancelled and then re-registered and this has made no difference either.

In the last few days, I have visited four different cities and on each occasion I have had a full 3G signal, so I know that the phone is capable of receiving it. I was also receiving a signal from the other wifi-network in my house (not the Sure Signal) but since the phone software was updated and uploaded, my phone cannot connect to this at all and instead I can only occasionally get a very weak signal from a local open wi-fi source in my village. My wife's iPhone receives both our wi-fi network and the Sure Signal 3G without any problems. But after several days of running around in circles I am still not receiving a 3G signal at home and instead only get two bars of GPRS (and very very very rarely get two bars on EDGE).

So why can I not get connected to the Sure Signal box? Could it be that maybe my phone is locked to a different Vodafone to my pay monthly contract? Or is there a simple setting that gets the phone and Sure Signal talking to one another? I have been through several threads on this forum but nothing else seems to be specific to my phone and my issue. Can anybody help please?

Regards,

D-Mac

Message 1 of 7 (3,304 Views)
Rank 20: Instructor IV
RupertTheFridge

Re: Bold 9780 cannot get Sure Signal connection

Its the SIM that matters most when registered to a sure signal. If you've changed your SIM since registering in my account you'll need to de register and then register the number again. Everytime you do a SIM change you'll need to remove and readd that number before it'll work.

Message 2 of 7 (3,283 Views)
D-Mac

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. As said in my original message, I have already de-registered and then re-registered my number with Sure Signal since changing the SIM card. This was done a couple of hours after the new SIM began working. Nothing has changed - I am still not receiving a 3G signal.

I am convinced that there is something missing from the phone that enables it to talk to the Sure Signal box. Should I be downloading some software from Vodafone perhaps?

D-Mac

Message 3 of 7 (3,273 Views)
D-Mac

PS This issue is not solved as suggested above (for some bizarre reason).
Message 4 of 7 (3,268 Views)
D-Mac

Anybody out there with some other suggestions?

D-Mac

Message 5 of 7 (3,244 Views)
D-Mac

I've been onto Vodafone 2nd Line Technical helpline for a third time now. The only response was to suggest either a new SIM or a complete phone wipe and restart. As the SIM has already been replaced once, I figured that a phone wipe was worth a try. The Sure Signal registration was also deactivated. After the phone restarted, the phone number was re-registered with Sure Signal again. The result - still no 3G signal.

I then discovered that we have another Blackberry in the house with a Vodafone SIM that was already registered to the Sure Signal and receiving a full 3G signal. I placed my SIM in the other phone, and the other SIM in my phone. What I discovered was that my SIM does not get a 3G signal in either phone but the other SIM gets it in both phones. Therefore my phone is not at fault (which I already suspected), and in fact my SIM is the culprit. This is despite it being a brand new SIM. Yet this still doesn't explain why I can pick up a 3G signal when out in town but just not through the Sure Signal at home.

So now I am tempted to try and get yet another SIM from the local Vodafone shop, but I would like to know whether it has to be a special sort of 3G Blackberry compatible SIM or just a standard one? And does it need to be registered for Sure Signal in any special way for it to work (ie. differently from say an iPhone SIM registration)?

Thanks in advance.

D-Mac

Message 6 of 7 (3,239 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Dave

Hi D-Mac,

There's no difference in how the SIM needs to be set up, but it can just need time to start working on the Sure Signal when you first switch. There's no special software needed on the phone either.

By trying the SIM in another handset and another SIM in this one, you've tried the primary tests we'd suggest to rule in/out certain possibilities, and thanks to that we can see what the issue is most likely to be.

Even though you've swapped the SIM card once previously, it looks like there is an issue with this new one, so we'll need to arrange another swap. You can arrange this instore or we can arrange it for you. Once you do that, just make your wife the Sure Signal owner, de-register and re-register your number and then wait for the registration. This can take up to 24 hours to come through.

Once you've tried this, let us know if everything is sorted for you. If we need to investigate further then we'll be happy to help. Let us know if you need us to arrange the SIM card for you as well.

Dave

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 7 of 7 (3,224 Views)