Support:

BlackBerry

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
RIMWalker

Bold 9900 eMail list view, no 'From:' displayed

The list view in eMail should display the name and subject. Mine only shows the subject. My OS is 7.0 2406, which is the latest for VF UK.

Please can anyone advise how to get the name into the list view? Is this a reported issue?

Message 1 of 10 (3,108 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Re: Bold 9900 eMail list view, no 'From:' displayed

Hi RIMWalker,

I must admit that this is a bit of a strange one.

However if you go into the message icon and press the BlackBerry button and you will need to select options and message display and actions.

In here please can you make sure that you have the following;

Display name is ticked.

Display order is showing as name, subject

If you can advise me of these then I will be able to look at this further for you.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 2 of 10 (3,097 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II
pau1j

I don't think 'Display Name' is an option in OS7.
(It used to be on earlier OS when it was also possible to display 1 or 2 lines per email.)

I see you've also posted the same question on RIM's forum but no answers yet so I can assume you've had a good trawl for a remedy.

The only thing I can think of is to switch between Name/Subject & Subject/Name to see if it resets.

I see from your other posts, that this is a new phone. Are these new messages (received by this phone) or ones you've transferred from a previous phone?

Do PIN messages show with the same fault (they also appear in Messages application)?

Does a battery pull help?
Message 3 of 10 (3,090 Views)
RIMWalker

Hi James

Interesting that you say 'Name is ticked'. I do not have such a checkbox/filed label. It starts with 'Display Time', followed by 'Display Style'. The next is already the combo drop down list name/subject or subject name.

Do you need my PIN to have a look into it?

Message 4 of 10 (3,085 Views)
RIMWalker

Yes, it's with all messages. I use the combined view Message inbox and PIN, text and emails are without their From line.

In saying that I will check back on my 9700. The screen was smaller though same resolution, hence I increased the font size and omitted the Name. During the device switch the settings may have been copied over. As the option is missing in OS7 I cannot revert back to display From: fields.

What I'll do is to tinker the OS6 settings on 9700 and restore them onto OS7 9900 as I believe this may address the issue. I will keep you posted on the results.

Message 5 of 10 (3,084 Views)
pau1j

That sounds feasible ... settings will certainly have carried over from OS6 if you used Desktop Manager to transfer devices.

Usually those without a corresponding setting are ignored (I had to reset fonts, etc. as font names had changed between devices). Sounds like you've found a crack in the device switch procedure.

Awaiting your results!
Message 6 of 10 (3,074 Views)
RIMWalker

On my 9700 I amended the Message List Options to display name/subject and performed the backup with BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Immediately after the restore of Message List Options (selective restore, now with 'From:' ticked) the expected result was met.

Message 7 of 10 (3,073 Views)
pau1j

Glad you've figured it out!
Message 8 of 10 (3,071 Views)
johnnydepp

i have also same email problem with my BB 9900............

Message 9 of 10 (2,988 Views)
pau1j

johnnydepp wrote:

i have also same email problem with my BB 9900............

And is it the same cause?

Have you recently restored from an OS6 backup?

Message 10 of 10 (2,982 Views)