You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
Accepted Solution

Contract and Blackberry issues

Hi all, first time poster here - please be gentle!

I have a problem with my phone - a Blackberry Pearl 3G - in that the battery has swollen, meaning that the back casing no longer fits on the phone, constantly falling off and meaning the battery falls out. I have 5 months left on the contract, so spoke to customer support about either a) a repair, or b) an early upgrade.

According to customer support, option a) is going to cost me money, even though the problem is a clearly faulty phone. I tried to explain that the problem was a defective phone/battery - but they were adamant that it was 'damage', and I would have to pay.

Option b) means that I will have approximately a £100 early termination fee - not desirable.

I tried to negotiate the early termination fee, but with no luck (I don't quite understand why I should pay 5 months' line rental when Vodafone would only lose out on 3.5 month's worth - remember I can upgrade 50 days before the contract end date). I have been with Vodafone for 13 years, and had my phone been working I would have happily waited until October to upgrade for free. Now I have been left with no phone, and the option of paying for a repair or paying a fortune in early termination fees.

Does anyone have any advice? For info I am looking to upgrade to the iPhone 4s, and have seen a much better deal on 3.

Thanks,

Tim

Message 1 of 10 (2,298 Views)
Rank 48: Master II

Re: Contract and Blackberry issues

You might be able to upgrade 50 days before the end of the contract but those 50 days are added to the new contract. You don't get let off those 50 days.

If the phone is out of warranty and you have no insurance you will ahve to pay for a repair.

I'm sure one of the forum team will be along to look at your account specific issues - they work oin a first come first served basis you please be patient.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 2 of 10 (2,295 Views)
Rank 50: Grand Master

Just to add to the information that Jeffkinn has already given you, if the battery is swollen - it sounds like the battery is defective. As far as I am aware, RIM give a 1 year warranty on the batteries. Beyond this period you would need to replace the battery at your own cost.  This would probably be a cheaper option than paying the Early Termination Fee.

Has my post helped you? If so please click the Thumbs Up button!
:smileywink:

Message 3 of 10 (2,290 Views)

Drey_p and jeffkin thanks for the info. However, the faulty battery is, as you say, defective. I see no reason why I should have to pay to repair a defective product sold to me by Vodafone (not RIM). All I'm asking for is some flexibility on the early termination fee. Thus far I have not received any indication from Vodafone that they are willing to keep my custom - which leaves a sour taste in the mouth after 13 years!
Message 4 of 10 (2,287 Views)
Rank 48: Master II

I understand your sentiments but the simple fact is that VF will not repair a phone if it is outside of its warranty period. I'm sure the same woud apply to other retailers - would Comet repair a faulty TV if it wasnt covered by a warranty? 

The forum team will tell you what your options are as far as the ETF is concerned.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 5 of 10 (2,284 Views)
Rank 50: Grand Master

Regardless of who sold you the phone and battery doesn't change the fact that RIM only provide a 1 year warranty. Outside of this warranty you become liable for the repairs or replacement of the device and accesories. For details of the warranty, please take a look at this link.  RIM have quite a good warranty on the battery  - a lot of other manufacturers only cover the battery for 6 months or specifically exclude it from any warranty.

The battery is now defective as indicated by the swelling.  Unless you raised this issue earlier, within your warranty period, you would have a hard time proving that it was supplied in a defective state.  The only time I have managed to get a battery to swell in this way is when I left it connected to the charger for too long  (OOOPS!).  The problem is I can't prove that the battery was faulty to begin with, only that it swelled up and leaked muck everywhere.

Has my post helped you? If so please click the Thumbs Up button!
:smileywink:

Message 6 of 10 (2,281 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II

Tim ... the best advice I can give is buy yourself a new battery (eBay or Amazon for less than £10) & let the contract run until its end.

(:smileylol: remember, free advice is worth the same amount it cost ... nothing!!)

That way, you have 'repaired' your phone at minimal cost & with no down-time.  You've stopped worrying about your phone & contract issues - you have a phone, contract & network that you seem to be happy with - & no longer need to lose sleep over the ETF.

When October comes around, Vodafone might be keener to keep you as a customer - while you're in contract you have very little in the way of leverage - and, if you're really wanting to join the Iphone fanbois, the latest saviour-of-mankind (aka #5) will be out by then and there will be a glut of offers.

Hope this helps.

Message 7 of 10 (2,249 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi tejbennett,

As the guys have said, the issue lies not with the handset but with the battery. As such a repair of the handset would not assist with the issue.

all batteries have a natural lifespan, as well as conditions they should not be exposed to, such as moisture, extremes or, as was described here, severe overcharging.

As the battery would be outside the manufacturer's warranty, I would agree that your best option would be to purchase a replacement battery for the device. This would be cheaper than any cost for buying out commitment to get to the upgrade period and would allow you to minimise the time carried over onto the new agreement on an upgrade.

Dave

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 8 of 10 (2,214 Views)

Thanks for your help everyone - much appreciated.

Message 9 of 10 (2,182 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster

WHy not just get a new battery from ebay?? for the sake of a few months and saving £100 plus£10 - £20 on a battery seems worth it?

Telepathy does not count as a valid form of communications!!

A "Bug" that affects one user is not a "Bug"

A fault can exist at the biological level not just the electronic
Message 10 of 10 (2,178 Views)
iPhone 6

iPhone 6

Bigger than bigger