You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 2: First Poster
hellohi

Data issue? Slow BBM and Whatsapp

Hi,

I have a BB torch 9800, and for the past 3 days my BBM and whatsapp messages are not sending to the server for at least 15 minutes. Every time I send a message, either BBM or Whatsapp, it'll have a clock next to it for at least 15 minutes, before actually getting delivered to the phone.

When people send me messages, they go to the server immediately but I am not receiving them until up to an hour later, .

THIS IS BEYOND A JOKE. I have never had such an issue before. I first noticed the problem on Friday and its been like this since. Is there some sort of network issue? Or is it my phone? I have experimented with getting people in my house to send me messages and they go to the server straight away, but they are not delivering to my phone, and my messages won't go to the server for ages, so they aren't being received straight away.

HELP!!

Message 1 of 5 (4,234 Views)
Rank 47: Master I
jeffkinn

Re: Data issue? Slow BBM and Whatsapp

Is this happening in just one location or is it happening everywhere? I use whatsapp on my iPhone and my wife and kids have BBs and so use whatsapp with me and BBM with each other.

Also last night I helped a friend download whatsapp on their BB and at no time experienced the sort of delay you are talking about.

If it is happening everywhere then it it likely the issue is something to do with your phone. It is probably worth ensuring that you have the latest versions of both applications. If you do, try deleting whatsapp and re-installing it.

If nothing else works you can try re-loading the OS via Desktop Manager.

Good luck.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 2 of 5 (4,232 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II
pau1j

Hi hellohi!!

There was a bit of a slowdown on Friday pm with BB emails - I don't use BBM or Whatsapp, so can't comment - but all was back to normal by about 6pm.

As with all delays like the one you describe, it could be network related (local, national or even global) or down to a phone issue.  Since we're not going to fix a network problem here (and, in the absence of other reports) so there's a few things you can try with your phone as well as JeffKinn's suggestions.

First one ... as always with a BB, do a battery pull.  This usually resolves a large proportion of problems.

If not ... can you send/receive emails & PIN messages? Iif you don't know another BB user - PIN yourself.  Was this immediate?

(PIN messages use the RIM network, so will let you know if it's the network or the BBM application at fault.)

Try forcing a Host Routing Table register & resend Service Books.  These two are usually done automatically after a reboot, but no harm done.

Best of luck.

Message 3 of 5 (4,222 Views)
Rank 47: Master I
jeffkinn

Whatsapp is always a but slower than BBM as it isn't integral to the phone and the BIS service in the same way that BBM is. But the author is pretty good at notifying the world of problems with their system via Twitter and there havent been any such notifications. the good thing about Whatsapp is that it is cross-platform.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 4 of 5 (4,219 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
hellohi

I went to a store yesterday and they gave me a new sim but hasn't made a difference. Though I think it may be more to do with the area now as the issue seems just to be happening at home.

I had a look on the network forums and there seems to have been an issue in the HA2 area, but i'm in HA3 so don't know if there is a knock on effect. But its been days now!

Very annoying and fed up with having to keep going into a store.

Message 5 of 5 (4,192 Views)