30-04-2011 10:59 AM
I had an excellent unlocked unbranded Bold 9000 but inexplicably the last few weeks it started running the battery down in a few hours, even with a new battery so I changed to a Vodafone branded 9780.
I am really disappointed. An excellent phone is spoiled and hindered by the Vodafone theme.
1) The sms icon is missing - all messages look like emails arriving with only that icon show new message
2) When you go to read a message, a text, it defaults position to mid-thread - not the top so much scrolling is involved
3) The shortcut T or B buttons do not work to take you to the top or bottom of thread
4) When the phone is put on charge, the radios, network receive etc. all default to 'off' and I cannot see how to change them except manually re-switching on the network coverage again. Surely some people want their phone charging but receiving calls, emails etc.
5) The apps are garbled with my BBC mobile hijacked to take me to some Blackberry screen
6) The dictionary/spell checker does not work in direct text? I don't want predicted words as I use a lot of abbreviations, acronyms etc in my work. The old Bold 9000 used to capitalise i to an I, id to an I'd etc. The vodafone 9780 does none of this... spoiling what was a brilliant system. it 's like a toy now, not a proper business device.
The 9780 is meant to be an upgrade to the 9000 which was damn excellent apart from battery life and a dodgy trackball.
Most of these 'faults' above have been mentioned in this forum over the last few weeks and months... when are Vodafone engineers going to release a new build, or why don't you let us remove the Vodafone os and go to a generic Blackberry non themed system. the answer thse days seems to be 'ah, that one wasn't so good, get a new phone on your next upgrade'. Disappointing. This needs to be a business tool in use now, otherwise i may have got an android or i-phone but the Blackberry is all about messaging and mail where this 9780 falls down.
Solved! See solution
30-04-2011 11:58 AM
1 - select message icon then options > inbox management scroll down and untick text message. i believe this will give you a seperate in box for sms and return your sms icon
4 - sounds like bedside mode.... go to 'clock' > BB key for options > 'when charging' select 'do nothing' if you want to keep radio on when using bedside mode scroll down to 'bedside mode' and untick 'disable radio'
hope this helps
30-04-2011 01:07 PM
a few more answers.....
2 - is a BB OS issue unfortunately i have the same issue
3 - shortcut keys still work in email and web browser.....
If you have Shortcut on (and if you dont go to your browser, select options scroll to bottom and tick 'enable keyboard shortcuts')
the following work in your browser
- While browsing a website hit W to open a new tab
- Press the T key to go to the top of a page
- Press the B key to go to the bottom of a page
- Press the Y key to open your browsing history
- Press the P key to see the page properties
Press the R key to refresh the current page
- Press the S key to open the browser options
- Press the K Key to go to your bookmarks
- Press the A Key to bookmark the current webpage
- Press the F key to search the current page
- Press the G key to go to the GoTo homepage
- Press the H key to go to the homepage
5 - go to your browser select options 'startup page select 'home page' then scroll down to home page and enter the address you want