Support:

BlackBerry

Ask a question:
SLP
Rank 1: Guest
SLP

Enterprise Activation on personal plan - BB 9900

Hi ,

I am writing on this forum as a last resort to end my misery. I moved from T-mobile contract to Vodafone from phones 4 U . I was given a personal plan of 46GBP . I am on BIS and BES express.

Even though I am on a personal plan , I want to use my phone for business purposes. I am on my employers BES server. However , my problem is I cant see 'Enterprise Activation' option in my Email setup. I have done several wipes. After each wipe , I get the option , and when I enter the password given by my IT team to activate it , I just get the message - 'Contacting Server' .  After i enter my blackberry ID , i just dont get that option at all.

I was advised to download an app from BB world for enterprise activation. I get the same result - ' Contacting Sever'. I am quite sure that there are no issues on my employers IT side. They have other employees who are on BB 9900 successfully.

Vodafone support teams have advised me to pay 33 GBP MONTHLY extra to get my email enabled. Which I find ridiculous.

Its been 10 days so far and I am without my email and contacts on the new BB. Can some good soul end my plight ? Phones 4 U dont seem to be helpful either.

SLP

Message 1 of 11 (4,165 Views)
Rank 46: Oracle V
jeffkinn

Re: Enterprise Activation on personal plan - BB 9900

You say you are in BIS and BES express? Does this mean that your BB was already connected to a BES server before you tried connecting to your corporate BES server? If you have BES enabled on your account I don't think it matters if you are connecting to BES or BES express. Your IT team will be able to see from their BES server of your phone is actually making contact with the BES server or not. If it is and it times out for some reason it is their problem. If it isn't contacting th BES server at all it is a network problem and Vodafone will have to resolve it.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 2 of 11 (4,157 Views)
SLP
SLP

I suspect I am making contact with BES server as I get some gibberish email in my inbox. . However , my IT folks asked me to check if I have data plan enabled. Which I think I have. They have reset my password - but my main problem is - when i go to email set up , I dont see an option of 'Enterprise Setup'. Isnt that a standard BB feature ? I have owned atleast 3 BB in last 5 years and in each phone i used to get that option.

Do I need to be on a specific plan to get that option ? thats what baffles me.

Message 3 of 11 (4,153 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II
pau1j

Hi SLP.

Firstly, I will admit I know next to nothing about BES or BESX.  There is a pretty good discussion of the ins/outs here.

However, I was always under the impression that BES & BESX were installed on the server side (i.e. on your employer's server).  The tariffs of the same name were simply different routings to those servers.

You have BESX tariff, but does your employer have BESX installed on the server?

(Also the discussion mentioned above suggest that OTA activation is not possible with BESX anyway.)

Hope this gives you something to work on.

Best of luck.

Message 4 of 11 (4,143 Views)
jeffkinn

None of this is rocket science and your IT support should be able to give you full guidance. You need BES on your tarrif to achieve OTA syncing between your handset and the BES server.

If you are making contact with the server it must mean you have BES running.

At one time BB handset were eith BIS or BES but I'm pretty sure they are all dual provisioned these days. 

To activate enterprise you don't do it through the email set up. Go intoi advanced settings and the enterprise option is in there. You need to give the email address and password and the rest should happen automatically.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 5 of 11 (4,135 Views)
SLP
SLP

Thanks for your response .. I am now trying with the IT teams . But they feel its a carrier issue

I go to Options -->Device ---> Advanced System Setting

but I dont get to see enterprise actiavtion option there

All I see is below

• Service Book
  • SIM Card
  • browser push
  • Cell Broadcasting
  • Default services
  • Host Routing Table
  • TCP IP

I tried to activate again when my IT teams created my password again . but still its says ' contacting server' forever.

Should I get my sim card changed or my phone changed ? or is there any other solution ?

Message 6 of 11 (4,127 Views)
Rank 16: Guide V
SatanicBuddha

[ Edited ]

Dear SPL,

You say that you are getting gibberish in your inbox. Is this an email with an ETP attachement? If so, then there is some issue with your work BES not picking up that email, but your handset seems to be working fine as well as your line.

With an Enterprise Activation, the steps that it goes through are this:

1. You enter your email address and the password your BES team gave you into Enterprise Activation and select Activate

2. Your handset sends an email to your email address with an attachement that has encrypted details of your handset, email address and the activation password.

3. Your work BES should be keeping an eye on your email inbox for this activation message. As soon as it sees it, it should remove it from the inbox, decrypts the attachement and verifies the details.

4. If the details match up with what the BES is expecting, then the activation proceeds with synchronising your emails, contacts, calendar, etc

The fact that the email is still sitting in your inbox suggests to me that the BES is not watching it, and your IT people who manage the BES need to check this KB from RIM: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB13462

I am very suprised if they haven't done it already, and that they would be blaming Vodafone.

There is one bit of confusion in your posts. You say that you are on BIS and will be using BES Express, but then talk about your work's BES, not BES Express. There is quite a big difference between BES and BES Express:

1. If your company are using BES, then your BlackBerry tariff will need to be on BES, not BIS. You can still activate a BIS email account after you have activated your BES account.

2. if your company are using BES Express, then you will need to be on BIS. The activation process is still the same.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Message 7 of 11 (4,122 Views)
jeffkinn

The confusion I have is that you say that the option for enterprise activation is missing but that you have tried activating the account. How have you tried activating the account?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 8 of 11 (4,115 Views)
SLP
SLP

Good Question. :smileyhappy:

I knew it would come up. I mentioned earlier in the post that I then downloaded the 'Enterprise Activatopn' App from BB world. Since I dont get that option normally when I get to 'Emaill Set up' .. I have done several wipes after that and am not continuing that line of action anymore.

no one seems to know the answer for this question though, As to why I dont get to see 'Enterprise Activation' password on my email set up :smileysad: :smileymad:

Message 9 of 11 (4,099 Views)
jeffkinn

The problem must be that BES isn't active on your account just BIS. That is the line of enquiry I would pursue with Vodafone

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 10 of 11 (4,097 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi SLP,

Firstly i would like to than everyone for their assistance on this thread so far.

From what I can see there are a few problems that have occurred here.

1. If you are using BES Express through your BIS registration then OTA activation is not supported and you will need to speak with your IT department directly to be able to activate the email on the Blackberry.
  2. You want to have the full BES functionality rather than BES Express which will require the additional feature being added to your account which costs £25 per month.

If you would like us to add the service to the account please follow the instructions on the PM that I have sent you so that we can discuss this with you directly.

You can find your PM inbox here.

Alternatively if you are having issues with the activation and your normal BIS services are working OK then I would recommend updating the software on the blackberry first through DTM (desktop manager) and trying again, if this still fails you will then need to speak with your IT department to activate the service as BES Express does not support ATA activation.

James

If you have any comments regarding how I have handled your query today, please complete our short feedback survey.

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 11 of 11 (4,083 Views)