You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest

MAD AS HELL! Blackberry Bold 9900 Software Update - 7,1 Stuck on Backing Up Help Please

Can anyone please help.

using the handset I updated software went to install its now stick on backing up your data

Social Feeds 0%

Overall Backup 15% (this does also get stuck on 9% when i have taken the battery out)

Does nothing over the destop manager - no option to go back as that stillsays i am on 7.0.  Called vodafone on hole for nearly 20 mins get put through tech team gone home ring back at 8pm - any ideas please guys>? Back up via Protect and last back up on desktop was April - i did however transfer all pics earlier today!

Any ideas please......

Message 1 of 5 (9,051 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II

Re: MAD AS HELL! Blackberry Bold 9900 Software Update - 7,1 Stuck on Backing Up Help Please

Hi Donna.

Has this worked itself out over the weekend?

If not, is the phone in a usable state after putting the battery back in?
If not, will the phone start in Safe Mode (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB17877)?

Do you use the Social Feeds app?
If not, delete it via Application Management.  Your battery will thank you - this is probably one of the chief battery drain culprits. Can you do a complete backup over Desktop Manager?

If you can access the phone via DM - use this for the update rather than the OTA method.

Message 2 of 5 (9,013 Views)
Tech Team

Re: MAD AS HELL! Blackberry Bold 9900 Software Update - 7,1 Stuck on Backing Up Help Please

Hi DonnaCat76

Thank you for your post.:smileyhappy:

I certainly understand why this has caused you frustration and would love to assist you with this, there has been some excellent support from pau1j (Thank You) and if you could reply to his suggestions that would help greatly with any investigation.

If you are still experiencing difficulties please take the device to your local store and one of our experts will be able to take a look and advise you of your best options or alternatively we can arrange a postal repair.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

Message 3 of 5 (9,007 Views)
Rank 16: Guide V

Hi guys,

I'm hearing a lot of people having trouble with this. So much so that I am recommending that they do not update over the air, but through Desktop Manager. At least that way, you can do a seperate backup. I haven't figured out what is causing the issue (network connection, battery charge, SIM card)

Try doing a hard reset without the SIM card. With the handset switched on, remove the battery and SIM card, leave for at least 10 minutes and then reboot without the SIM card. It might take longer than usual.

As for Social Feeds app, definitely get rid of it.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers

Message 4 of 5 (8,991 Views)
Rank 18: Instructor II

I'm with you Buddha.

Problems during OTA updating of the OS have been mentioned quite a few times recently.  I have been recommendeding DM-only and would always say OTA as a last resort.  In my opinion there is not sufficient spare capacity on the phone for it to be able to delete the current OS while installing a new one - it's a complicated process & the slightest thing (bad data, third-party app or a drop in battery level) can upset it.

If OTA is a must then use the Device Switch built in to OS7 to copy all data to the microSD card.  This way you can wipe the handset (not the memory card) and do the update on a clean handset (third-party apps may need to be downloaded/reinstalled).

Donna ... would like to know how you got on.  Particularly as I told you last week that the update was worthwhile. :smileyembarrassed:

Message 5 of 5 (8,984 Views)
iPhone 6

iPhone 6

Bigger than bigger