Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Roaming Issues

Baldrick
2: Seeker

I am currently in Germany and have found that I cannot send emails, or Blackberry Messenger Messages. Outgoing calls either fail, or connect briefly then cut off. I can answer incoming calls but get cut off after about 2 seconds.  Although I can recieve messages OK, any replies / new messages just sit in the outbox. SMS seems to work fine.  I drove over here yesterday and had no problems as I passed through France, Belgium and Holland, so I think I can rule out a generic roaming problem. I can browse to any website OK, but both Facebook & Twitter apps will not update. I tried calling 191 but it does not work. I have emailed vodafone several hours ago but no response yet. Data settings are set to On whilst Roaming. I am connected to Vodafone.de and get a good 3G signal (I have just bought a book on my Kindle so no problems with the local Vodafone network). Anybody out there spot anything that I have missed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SatanicBuddha
15: Advanced member

Dear Baldrick,

I had a similar issue with a user out in Germany last week (also connected to Voda DE). I was able to get it fixed by doing a hard reset (whilst the handset is switched on, remove the battery. Wait a couple of minutes, then replace the battery and boot up).

Give this a go and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

View solution in original position

11 REPLIES 11

bertyb
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member
Interesting one, as you seem to have issues with Blackberry services, but no issue with data as such and also issues with GSM voice services.

For me, my first thing would simply be to try switching the device off and on and retesting, and then perhaps manual selecting a different roaming network, ironic I know.

If you need to call Vodafone (I guess from a different phone) then I think it is +447836 191 191 though you can check this on Vodafone website at contact us section

SatanicBuddha

Dear Baldrick,

I had a similar issue with a user out in Germany last week (also connected to Voda DE). I was able to get it fixed by doing a hard reset (whilst the handset is switched on, remove the battery. Wait a couple of minutes, then replace the battery and boot up).

Give this a go and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Thanks for your very speedy and useful responses guys. I did pull the battery, waited a few seconds and then put it back in again. I sent a test email as soon as the phone started up which stayed in the outbox for several minutes but it has now gone. I have succeeded in calling the office and have a ton of new tweets so I think that has solved the issue. Thank you for taking the time to respond, it is really appreciated.

Dear Baldrick,

Glad to have helped and that all is working now.

It sounds very silly and a stereotype, but the hard reset (effectively turning it off and on again) can fix so much, so it is one of those things that is always worth trying first if you have a problem.

Enjoy.

The problem is back again today. Emails and Blackberry Messenger stopped working again this morning, although the phone seemed OK. I pulled the battery again, and took the SIM out, then replaced and all seemed ok for a couple of hours, but then it stopped again. I called Vodafone (luckily the phone worked!) and their advice was to update the Host Routing Table. The chap I spoke to said he could see an issue with my device. It is working again now, but I wonder how long for. Does anyone know if this could be an issue specific to my device, or maybe with the local network (I am currently in Frankfurt)? It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has similar issues.

Baldrick

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Baldrick,

Many thanks for your post and for updating the thread.

To me it sounds very intermittent. It could very well be a localised issue but I'd like to see if we can investigate further.

I've sent an email to your registered eForum address. Please reply with the requested details and we'll be in touch.

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

Hi Lee

Many thanks for your resposne. I have replied to your email but my availability this week to talk to anyone will be limited. I returned to the UK yesterday and suffered the same problem again (I noticed when I got to Calais). Whilst on the Eurotunnel (ie phone out of signal), I pulled the battery, then, when the phone came on again, I renewed all the items in the Host Routing Table. The phone has worked fine since it reconnected to the UK network although I have noticed that the battery seems to be draining quite quickly (it is only a couple of weeks old). I am in Switzerland next week so interesting to see if the problem happens again there.

vanessat93

Hello,

I am currently outside the UK and my phone network signal seems to be off.

I have connected to the local carrier numerous times before when Ihave been outside of the UK but I am unable to now. I get a message that my mobile is "unable to connect" to another vodafone network. The network in question is Vodafone Ireland and it has worked before multiple times.

I have not changed sim cards or phones.

Any help as to how to turn back on my signal would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Vanessa

Hi vanessat93,

You can check your My Vodafone to make sure that you’ve got roaming enabled on your account.

If you haven’t, you can request for it to be switched on.

If it doesn’t work for you, then we can switch roaming on for you.

You can see how to get in touch with us here.

Thanks

Andrew