Support:

BlackBerry

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
FF99

Upgrade before contract end - How does it work ?

Very very basic question, but I have generally tended to hop from one network to another at contract end, so have not much experience of upgrading during a contract.

I am on Price plan Anytime Blackberry 700 Minutes, Mobile Internet, 250 Texts and Unlimited Landline Calls with Vodafone Passport Cost £29.79 + VAT

I have a Blackberry Bold that is pretty much falling apart as a result of general wear and tear and would like to replace it with the same model.

It is an 18 month contract and the website says I am eligible for an upgrade mid-March ( think I took out the contract Nov / Dec 2008).

What is the procedure if I upgrade ? Am I then locked into a new contract or can I just get a new BB with no ties (seems improbable !). Will I be offered the same tariff with the same benefits and should I be trying to neogitate for a lower price / better deal, and if so what can I reasonably expect (if relevant I have little additonal usage throughout the contract over and above the included allowances) ?

Is that point in time the best time to do this, or should I wait until closer to the end of the contract ??

Main use of the phone is BBM. Overall am I on a good deal, should I be shopping around, what is my best strategy ?
Message 1 of 16 (8,218 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
lloydl26

If you upgrade early you will start a new commitment.

To be honest if your looking to get another BlackBerry I'd stick with Voda as you will get better service in my personal opinion.
Message 2 of 16 (8,218 Views)
FF99

If you upgrade early you will start a new commitment.

To be honest if your looking to get another BlackBerry I'd stick with Voda as you will get better service in my personal opinion.

Thanks for that. Will I be offered the same deal and/or should I be negotiating for something better ??
Message 3 of 16 (8,218 Views)
Anonymous(anon)

thats up to you mate

You can stay on PP or negotiate another one that suits you better.

On a side note, if your contract ends May then youd add your recomittment to the end of your current deal expiry

so by example, the new rules are that you can't upgrade till you are within 50 days of the end of your current deal; this means that these 50 days would be added onto the end of your new agreement and if that new agreement was 18 months, then you'd have 18 months plus 50 days before your new agreement ended.

If you want to upgrade now have a look at this thread

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?act=...;f=73&id=96

Nice
Message 4 of 16 (8,218 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Jon_V

Hi Vodaquestions,

It looks like Mr Nice has beaten me to the punch here! Let me know if you have any further questions :)

Jon

eForum Team
Want to give me some feedback? click here
Message 5 of 16 (8,218 Views)
FF99

Hi Vodaquestions,

It looks like Mr Nice has beaten me to the punch here! Let me know if you have any further questions :)

Jon

eForum Team

Thanks for the replies and for the info. However, what nobody has answered is whether it is possible to negotiate a "retention" deal that offers a lower price or added extras over published rates. The moneysaving websites seem to suggest that most networks are keen to keep their customers and that some creative neogitaiotn is possible. Does this generally apply on Vodafone ??
Message 6 of 16 (8,218 Views)
Tech Team
Sukhi

Hi Vodaquestions,

We wouldn’t want to loose any customer, and would try our upmost to offer them a great deal, I've sent you an email, if you can reply back I'll be more than happy to discuss this further with you :)

Look forward to your response.

Thanks

Sukhi
eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 7 of 16 (8,218 Views)
paulmc2010

I've only had my Blackberry 9700 since the beginning of the year but have realised that the iphone is a much better fit for my use.
Is there anyway I can switch?
I am happy to upgrade to a higher tariff?
Message 8 of 16 (8,218 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster
spudlicious

I've only had my Blackberry 9700 since the beginning of the year but have realised that the iphone is a much better fit for my use.

I would think you have no chance. That's why you need to be pretty sure about a phone choice when you take the contract, and very sure before your 'cooling off' period expires.
I definitely am not a Vodafone employee.
Just a (happy) customer with a Bold 9700
2157A1D6
Message 9 of 16 (8,218 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Daz_V

Hi there paulmc2010! Welcome to our little eForum :P

This certainly has to be our most-asked question as of lately - and sadly there's not a lot we can offer as you're already in commitment and have between 16 to 22 months left roughly, so we can't upgrade you at this stage unfortunately.

Your only two options will either be to early terminate your current contract (pay the remaining months' line rental minus VAT, then remove a further 25% off discount), or simply buy an iPhone outright and unlock it... which probably would be your cheaper option.

On the other hand, is there anything up with your BlackBerry 9700 Bold that you'd change? If it's something we can help with, please let us know!

Daz

eForum Team
Want to give me some feedback? Yes
Message 10 of 16 (8,218 Views)
lee208

I am just enquiring about getting an upgrade, i am on a 24 month contract, and i am currently about 11/12 months into my contract, but my phone (Samsung tocco ultra) is in bad condition, keeps turning off and has terrible battery life, would i be able to get a new phone? i am looking into getting a Blackberry Curve 9300, the price plans for this phone are roughly the same as what i am paying for now.
Message 11 of 16 (8,218 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
aquestion

Hi there paulmc2010! Welcome to our little eForum

This certainly has to be our most-asked question as of lately - and sadly there's not a lot we can offer as you're already in commitment and have between 16 to 22 months left roughly, so we can't upgrade you at this stage unfortunately.

Your only two options will either be to early terminate your current contract (pay the remaining months' line rental minus VAT, then remove a further 25% off discount), or simply buy an iPhone outright and unlock it... which probably would be your cheaper option.

On the other hand, is there anything up with your BlackBerry 9700 Bold that you'd change? If it's something we can help with, please let us know!

Daz

eForum Team

Hi Daz or other Mod is this true?

That I can quit my Contract early with paying the months outstanding minus vat with a 25 percent off discount?

I have about six months to go and this would be ideal!!
Message 12 of 16 (8,218 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Martin

Hi lee208

You can now upgrade 6 months through the "My Account" service or 70 days before the end of the contract. To get a new phone at this stage of the contract, the options would be to either pay off the remaining length of contract, or to take a a separate line.

Hi aquestion

The 25% discount has finished and replaced with a 2% reduction from the total early termination fee

As you have only got 6 months remaining, you will be able to upgrade through "My Account"

If you have any further questions please let me know :D

Martin
eForum Team
Message 13 of 16 (8,218 Views)
WildgooseUK

I very much wish to defect to iPhone 4, but currently have 12 months remaining on my existing contract with Storm2. What are my options? ( if any!)
Message 14 of 16 (8,218 Views)
WildgooseUK

OK....I get the message!!
Message 15 of 16 (8,218 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
darkone338

OK....I get the message!!

well the simple option would be to sell the Storm 2 after you get it unlocked.

Use that money to buy out the remainder of your current contract and start the iphone contract.
-----------------------------------------------------

iPhone5
Message 16 of 16 (8,218 Views)