You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
janvode

Wifi connect BlackBerry Torch to Netgear Router

I have just acquired a BlackBerry Torch. At first it connected to my Netgear router, but then dropped out. Now I cannot get it to reconnect no matter how I try to connect. I have tried as a saved connection. I have also deleted the saved connection and tried setting up again from scratch. All obvious like the network key are correct. Any similar experiences or suggestions please
Message 1 of 11 (3,721 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Dave

Re: Wifi connect BlackBerry Torch to Netgear Router

Hi janvode,

I can see the frustration - it obviously worked originally, so it should work again.

We need to rule out a few possible sources of the issue to get to the bottom of this.

Firstly, can you try a hard reset of the BlackBerry for me - this will work like a PC reboot and clear away anything which hasn't closed properly. To do this, just follow the steps below:

- Switch the handset on
 - Whilst powered up, remove the SIM card and battery
 - Put the battery back in and switch on
 - Wait a couple of minutes, then remove the battery again
 - Replace the SIM and battery and switch back on

If this doesn't work, can you try rebooting the router to clear out anything at that end?

Next, are you able to connect with a different phone to this router, and can you connect to any other hotspot successfully? If so, this would help to rule out any technical issues.

Also, just to check, has the router updated at all since the first attempt, have you updated the handset in any way, or have you activated any security? If you have security on the router, can you connect if you switch this off for a moment to test?

If you can try this for us and let us know if you have any issues, then we'll be able to get a better picture of what may be stopping the connection, whether it's an error disconnecting or something else.

If anything here is helpful, please let me know with some feedback! :smileyhappy:

Dave

eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 2 of 11 (3,693 Views)
janvode

Hello Dave Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I have tried taking the battery and sim out of the phone as you describe. No joy. In the past I think I have rebooted the router simply by turning it off and on again - I don't know any other way to reboot it. I have connected my previous Nokia smartphone no problem, also my wireless printer and any laptop that any visitors have works. I have spoken with the technical support from the router supplier. They tried everything including various security settings and even temporarily the 'dsable' option, all to know avail. I really don't know what it can be other than the phone is jinxed! Janice
Message 3 of 11 (3,688 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Trev

Hi janvode.

Can you give this a try for me.:smileyhappy:

Go to Manage Connections > Setup Wi-Fi Network > Saved Wi-Fi Networks >  Select the network you are connected to as in Linksys or Netgear etc.

Finally make sure the box that says "Allow inter-access point handover" is checked and you should be able to connect.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Trev

eForum Team

Message 4 of 11 (3,675 Views)
janvode

Thanks Trev

I cannot see anywhere the optioin "allow inter-access point handover" to be able to check the box

Message 5 of 11 (3,672 Views)
janvode

Trev further to previous reply, have now found and checked the "Allow inter-access point handover".  It was one of three.  The other two were checked but it was not.  The other two were "SSID broadcasted" and "Automatically obtain IP address and DNS".  It still "failed to associate with the network".

Please don't spend too much time on it.  I am very grateful for your help but I am convinced there is some gremlin making it somehow 'unfixable'

Message 6 of 11 (3,661 Views)
Tech Team
Wayne

Hi janvode

Thanks for coming back to us here. I’m sorry to hear that this still isn’t working for you.

I’m not really sure what else we can do here, it just seems like there is some sort of compatibility issue between the handset and the router.

As a last resort have a read through this and see if any of the posts on the numerous threads are of any use to you.

Google Search

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

If you have a spare minute could you please take the time to fill out a short feedback form about me?

You can do so here

Message 7 of 11 (3,646 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
flyfifer

[ Edited ]

"In the past I think I have rebooted the router simply by turning it off and on again - I don't know any other way to reboot it."

Just switching it off and on just set the internet connection. You will need some like a paper clip (something with a narrow point at the end) and push the rest button in on the back of the router for 10 seconds.  This will take you router back to default settings.  A word off advise, if you need to enter and username and password for the router to go on line, You will have to enter them, after reset.

Here a video clip of what to do. Click here.

The other question is does your phone work with other routers ok!

Message 8 of 11 (3,642 Views)
janvode

Thank you for your response.

Firstly, I do not have another router to try the phone with so don't know.

Secondly, there was a pwer cut last night.  Don't know if that had the effect of rebooting the router, or if it had anything to do with it at all, but now the phone is connected to the router without me doing anything to it!  Im' sure it will kick out again some point with same mystery but he ho shouldn't complain.

Thanks for all your help.

Heres hoping I have no further cause to contact the forum on this subject.

Grateful thanks once again

Message 9 of 11 (3,634 Views)
janvode

Thanks Wayne

Please see below reply to earlier post re the phone now connected

Message 10 of 11 (3,630 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
flyfifer

[ Edited ]

It funny what power cuts can do sometimes. lol. Just glad to here its all work out for you. :smileyvery-happy:

Message 11 of 11 (3,617 Views)