Skip to content
main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Broadband & Home Phone

BT youview+ Box ..... will it work with vodaphone fibre broadband ?

1: Seeker

We have a new unused BT youview + box, but are getting vodaphone fibre broadband.  Will we be able to use the box ?  Or will it only work with BT infinity ?  Thanks 

View more options
7 REPLIES
Highlighted
17: Community Champion

@Liz22222 The standard freeview channels will continue to work, as will things like iPlayer and Netflix etc but any "premium" channels(MTV, Discovery, National Geographic etc) that BT provide will stop working as these rely on multicast technology that runs on BT's own network. 

Vodafone have a TV product in the pipeline though details are still fairly thin about what's actually to be included though, something to bear in mind if you were looking to switch

View more options
2: Seeker

I recently switched my broadband provider from sky to Vodafone fibre because I wasn't getting a decent download speed (it's gone from 5mb with sky, now it's 35mb with Vodafone fibre)

I have a BT Youview Box,  with bog standard sky the 'scroll back' to watch a previous weeks programmes worked ok, since I started using Vodafone fibre the BT Youview box will no longer connect to the internet.

I've called the BT helpline, they were useless, they say it's not their problem as it wasn't bought from a BT shop and I'm not using BT broadband (incidentally, I'm not trying to access BT content, I'm just trying to get iPlayer, and scrollback)

I've spoken to the technicians at the Youview.co.uk website, they had me do a reset of the box, losing all the programmes I recorded in the process, still no joy.

As it was still under guarantee, I took it back to Currys,they replaced it with a brand new one, I tried that with my Vodafone broadband, it still won't connect to the internet, even though it says on the box it came in that it would work with ALL broadband providers.

The only thing that's changed is my broadband.

I've tried using different ethernet cables, I was using powerline adapters because the BT box was in a different room than the router, it worked with sky, but won't connect with Vodafone, there's nothing wrong with the powerline adapter because I'm connected to that using this computer, I even tried a 20 metre ethernet cable directly from the Vodafone router, still doesn't connect to the internet for scrollback tv.

I'm at my wits end.

The conclusion I've come to is this, the BT Youview box does NOT work with ALL broadband providers!

View more options

@kidcharlemagne

So we can take a look into this and help resolve your issue, please come speak to our Broadband Live Chat team.

Thanks

View more options

So I tried to use the 'Broadband Live Chat Team' link you sent me, I got this error message

Exception ID: 717E8153

Presumably I can't contact the live chat team about my BT Youview Box problem?

Yeah, I know it's been a month, but I thought I would get some sort of notification when there was a reply to my question.

Thanks.

View more options

@kidcharlemagne

After doing a little research myself, it seems like this maybe an issue with YouView itself. There's nothing stopping our network from connecting with a YouView box.

Once you've had another word with the team, please let us know.

Thanks

View more options

All I'd like to know is, has somebody else on this forum got a BT Youview box that is working correctly (scrollback, iPlayer for previous programmes) with Vodafone fibre broadband, then I will know if it's just a problem with the two BT Youview boxes that I have had.

As I said before, all I have done is switched broadband providers from sky (with which the BT Youview box was working) to Vodafone (now the BT Youview box isn't)

I can still watch and record Freeview channels no problem, I just can't get any catch-up, to watch programmes I missed.Smiley Frustrated

View more options