Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband and Home phone

1BadRobot
4: Newbie

I just signed up for the Broadband and Home phone package, should i be scared?  Has anyone had a good experience?

Maybe i should cancel it?

18 REPLIES 18

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@paulcormack

Thanks for your comments, I'll be feeding this back.

You're correct we don't support the use of any other router.

The reason for this is due to not being able to offer any guidance when there’s any internet issues.

We can only provide support and troubleshooting steps for our own router.

@dane_B
@dane_B wrote:

You're correct we don't support the use of any other router.

The reason for this is due to not being able to offer any guidance when there’s any internet issues.

We can only provide support and troubleshooting steps for our own router.

This might be credible if the Vodafone Connect router actually worked reliably! A cursory review of the feedback on this forum would show that many, many people have a variety of problems with it, the most satisfied commentators being those who have managed to extract logon credentials from your team through one route or another and moved to better and more stable kit.  If you could show that you get a higher rate of support issues from those customers I'd have some sympathy but I'd wager that's not the case!  It would be perfectly reasonable for you to demand that any support assistance require restoral of the VF Connect Router into the configuration - I and others would fully accept that condition - but your refusal to do this smacks of obstinate attachment to a "policy" decision by a Product Manager unable to listen to user feedback and contemplate that they might actually have been wrong. 

Very grateful if you could pass to the UK Product Team the following action plan to restore some credibility...

1) Release Logon credentials to users prepared to accept a condition that any further support assitance requires the use of the VF Connect Router restored to the configuration.

2) Release a firmware update which enables a true "Modem Only" bridge mode supporting PPPoE logon from generic routers.
3) (This may take some work...!) Sort out the general firmware issues with the VF Connect router.

Best wishes...

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@florca Thanks for your comments, I'll pass these on. :smileyhappy:

What did you find our router couldn't do as opposed to yours?

Stay up, working, consistently and reliably!

Beyond that, many things, but the lack of any IPv6 support on router (and/or your core network?), VLAN tagging, DNSSEC passthru, decent QoS config, ability to close the VF Connect Port 8080 server would do for a start....

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@OwenMcShane

Thanks for your comments.

Please, let us know immediately if you experience any of your connection dropping intemittantly, and we'll ivestiagte it accordingly.

@dane_B wrote:

@OwenMcShane

Please, let us know immediately if you experience any of your connection dropping intemittantly, and we'll ivestiagte it accordingly.

Hi Dane_B,

My connection resetting has yet to be much of an issue. Any outage is brief, and mostly goes unnoticed.

Here is a complete log of recent reconnections, and corresponding allocated IP adresses:

Wed Apr 19 11:36:15 BST 2017 90.254.102.147
Wed Apr 19 21:17:08 BST 2017 90.254.97.126
Thu Apr 20 22:44:10 BST 2017 90.255.109.248
Fri Apr 21 05:20:52 BST 2017 90.254.106.199
Fri Apr 21 05:41:55 BST 2017 90.252.239.197

Whilst we're talking dates and times, is there anyway to tell the router it's British Summer Time? (The time stamps above are in BST by the way, unlike the router's event log).

Thanks.

Owen, I may be going wildly off subject but is there a way i can manually set my router clock. The difference between it and BST is messing up the wifi schedule. The wifi comes on and off at random times and when setting do i use BST or the internal clock.

Thanks

@Benno441 wrote:

Owen, I may be going wildly off subject but is there a way i can manually set my router clock. The difference between it and BST is messing up the wifi schedule. The wifi comes on and off at random times and when setting do i use BST or the internal clock.

Thanks

Hi,

Not that I can see, and I'd like to know the answer too. I assume the router uses ntp for it's time, but isn't allowing for BST.

My router had a disconnect/reconnect this morning and was logged as:

25.04.201704:52:06WAN connected, WAN type: VLAN Physical Device, service type: data, IP: 90.255.215.214, device: ppp2WAN

This almost tallies (with the hour difference) with my server's log of what happened.

Tue Apr 25 05:54:27 BST 2017     90.255.215.214 

I can only assume that any time based scheduling you set on the router would be based on it's own internal time (GMT).

CWTideswell
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

We've had VF Connect since the 1st of September 2015 so now out of the 18 month contract and I would personally give the service 8 out of 10 and I have no desire to rush off and find another provider at this point. The 2 dropped marks are due to the router not being the best and unable to replace it with something else if I wished. Although I have been able to get the router to do most things that I need.

Any change to any supplier can be a mistake, also as a last thought forums tend to be like an alien being beamed down into a hospital and concluding that the human species is on the verge of extinction.